ADVERTISEMENT

Lex Rich 5 superintendent BullS$&? Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.
17 year educator here. I don’t work for any parents. I work with them to help educate their child. I never have a problem with a parent asking questions or giving input about their particular kid (behavior, learning styles, medical info, etc…). They don’t call the shots in my room….ever.

When it comes to my classroom if I didn’t do anything illegal or immoral, then playing the “I’m your boss” card doesn’t fly well with me.

Perfect example. I gave a kid some practice tests for her end of course exam. Parent complained her grade was getting lower because practice tests were counting as test grades. She was free to her opinion and express her displeasure, but I didn’t change it. I let the parent know she should complain to the state legislature that was giving a test that would count much more than my practice test just 24 hours after her email. I also let the parent know this is a clear indicator her daughter should study for the EOC exam. Ironically, this kid never showed up for the exam and was given a zero for 10% of her average and she had no problem with that (or never expressed it to me).

You don’t have a problem telling teachers that don’t fall in line to find another career. How about let’s turn this around. If stay at home moms and armchair QB dads want to run a classroom, school or district, then go back to school and get certified to do so.
Who do you feel you work for?

Why still celebrate the person you felt the need to force to resign?
Truman forced General McArthur to resign because of differences in policy goals. Yet still celebrated him as a five star general and allowed him to give a going away speech to Congress ( the famous: "old soldier never die; they just fade away" speech).

... I have just left your fighting sons in Korea. They have done their best there, and I can report to you without reservation that they are splendid in every way.

It was my constant effort to preserve them and end this savage conflict honorably and with the least loss of time and a minimum sacrifice of life. Its growing bloodshed has caused me the deepest anguish and anxiety. Those gallant men will remain often in my thoughts and in my prayers always.

I am closing my 52 years of military service. When I joined the Army, even before the turn of the century, it was the fulfillment of all of my boyish hopes and dreams. The world has turned over many times since I took the oath at West Point, and the hopes and dreams have all since vanished, but I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barracks ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that old soldiers never die; they just fade away. And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty.

Good Bye.

April 19, 1951

sooo, do you have specific info about this firing, or you just making general statements? Because the limited info I’ve been able to gather is that POSSIBLY/MAYBE (again, no idea) it had something to do with reopenings and/or mask wearing? If so, my question would be…is this superintendent’s “experience and degrees” in worldwide pandemics, or in education? Because unless it’s the former, I don’t see where her
“Experience and degrees” make her any more qualified than soccer moms and dads, or the school board. Now, some seem to be saying that an entire school board just happened to arbitrarily decide to fire the “superintendent of the year” for no reason. Maybe, but I doubt it. What I imagine is that there’s multiple sides to the story and we’re not getting the whole picture. The more plausible explanation to me is that it’s likely there’s a subordinate employee who is refusing to follow the directives of her superiors and she ended up fired. Again, maybe I’m wrong. If you got details, let’s hear them
It would seem to me that the school district should be reaching out to public health officials for guidance on the safest way to conduct classes during the pandemic. And it should be the office of the superintendent reaching out and crafting a policy, not the school board.

But to king ward's statement of "someone please circle back with the real story," all we have is heresay at this point.

IMO, this is analogous to a recent discussion regarding Caslen and the BOT. Substitute Melton for Caslen and the school board for the BOT. I'm not at all comparing Melton with Caslen, but rather the professional relationship of each with their respective "bosses"

And it should be the office of the superintendent reaching out and crafting a policy, not the school board.
uh no. All a superintendent does is make recommendations to the board. The board sets policy. You have the cart before the horse. The board by statute is the final say, the superintendent is their subordinate. If you don't like that structure, change the law to do away with the board and have the governor or some state agency appoint superintendents. I can't see what you think the board's role even is. Why have one if the superintendent is the final say on policy?

I actually talked to a state representative about this once and his response was a review of the political donations of certain members of the board which pretty much told the story of why things are structured the way they are.
Are you talking about local school boards or the college's board? The second makes more sense. I can't imagine local school board members are big donors.

Are you talking about local school boards or the college's board? The second makes more sense. I can't imagine local school board members are big donors.
They absolutely are. For some the school board is just a way to directly throw their weight around as opposed to the behind the scenes work with their checkbooks.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
....... I currently work with about 25 kids right now and have a few other adults helping and one parent told me and I quote” my kids will no longer do anything with your group until you demand everyone involved in any way be vaccinated. That is not my place to require it so I politely sent them on their way. It hasn’t stopped them from talking poorly about me though. I can handle it but it’s another example of parents being very difficult and that is what is happening in lexrich5. Another example also of poor examples for our kids to follow and also putting kids in the middle of adult stupidity and hissyfits.
IMO, there's nothing wrong with a parent who will not allow their child to participate in a group unless everyone is fully vaccinated. As you politely sent them on their way, IMO, it's also incumbent on them to be polite and not talk poorly about you.

Our personal policy is not to speak poorly of those who refuse to get vaccinated. Having said that, we will not get any closer than 2m to the unvaxxed, but be polite and civil about it.

uh no. All a superintendent does is make recommendations to the board. The board sets policy. You have the cart before the horse. The board by statute is the final say, the superintendent is their subordinate. If you don't like that structure, change the law to do away with the board and have the governor or some state agency appoint superintendents. I can't see what you think the board's role even is. Why have one if the superintendent is the final say on policy?
Then you get to the point of when is the school board/BOT micromanaging?

Who do you feel you work for?

Well since my principal is the one that offers the job I’d say him. Kinda like your job. Whoever offers you the job is your boss. Hires are approved by the board, but those guys couldn’t pick me out of a lineup. You know it and I know it.

Again I work with parents but I don’t work for parents. Any parent who thinks they are their teachers boss is an egotistical a-hole.

Here’s the thing. I’ve been watching the live bird meetings since they started returning to school back in the fall. The super was trying to follow state guidelines set by DHEC and spearman. The board has been listening to a small but vocal group of parents from chapin and pushing for no masks more in school time no virtual no part week and no masks.
yes I said a smaller but more vocal group. I do jot believe the majority of parents wanted all that but it’s what the board shoved down our throats.

further it is my belief that the school boards job is to approve spending budgets construction projects and the overall general standard calendar of days in school. Outside of that I believe they should shut their mouths and support the super and observe if the district gets better gets worse or remains the same. Then they decide to keep raise or fire the super. That should be essentially it.

it is hot the boards decision to shove kids in to school against DHEC and spearman’s recommendations.

this has been a heated topic all school year and got worse when the new board was elected.
In general she has succumbed to their recommendations and has never directly gone against them but she has spoken her opinions and recommendations as she should.

however it all came to a head a couple months ago when the board voted to drop masks. I directly went against the state DHEC and cdc recommendations. In a nut shell the board voted to do this. Then that night the boards head hired/retained attorney found out about this and she reached out to the board chair to clarify that their decision to go against the states recommendations would open them up to legal liabilities and they would not be protected under whatever pandemic law was in place.
The board chair auctioned a call with the attorney and the super and they agreed to override the boards prior vote UNTIL further analysis of the situation and ramifications could be done.

that moment then spiraled into another heated board meeting where they essentially accused her of overruling them. She did not. She and the board chair made that call based on the attorneys recommendation snd that attorney stated that she was essentially hired to advise and that’s exactly what she did. It was the right call at the time and it followed proper chain of command.

the following heated board meeting was a shit show.

several times this year Ed White said in the board meeting that his general vote and opinion was to support the super and that’s what he felt they should do. Others want to run a dictatorship.

I’ve emailed all members of the board
Multiple times. Only Huddle has had the decency to reply. I disagree with her but at least she has some gumption. And doesn’t hide in the shadows of her role.

the issue I really have is the board voting to remove her in executive session and then basically threatened her buyout of compensations if she didn’t resign and forced a firing and then tried tog ET all
The board members to sign a hush NDA about it so no one would know the truth. That is NOt a transparent board which is exactly what these people ran their board campaign on.
To me the moment they pushed for the hush NDA is the moment this became an ethics issue and the board should be forced to resign and call for an emergency election. That is unacceptable.

now could all that with the fact that the super was just voted as the best in the state and you have a gigantic black eye on our district that will greatly impact its ability to hire another great super. It’s the San Snyder skins situation and you see what a dumpster fire that is. So this will affect my
Kids education along with my property values going forward.
In summary I’m pissed off as H&!l about it.

Here’s the thing. I’ve been watching the live bird meetings since they started returning to school back in the fall. The super was trying to follow state guidelines set by DHEC and spearman. The board has been listening to a small but vocal group of parents from chapin and pushing for no masks more in school time no virtual no part week and no masks.
yes I said a smaller but more vocal group. I do jot believe the majority of parents wanted all that but it’s what the board shoved down our throats.

further it is my belief that the school boards job is to approve spending budgets construction projects and the overall general standard calendar of days in school. Outside of that I believe they should shut their mouths and support the super and observe if the district gets better gets worse or remains the same. Then they decide to keep raise or fire the super. That should be essentially it.

it is hot the boards decision to shove kids in to school against DHEC and spearman’s recommendations.

this has been a heated topic all school year and got worse when the new board was elected.
In general she has succumbed to their recommendations and has never directly gone against them but she has spoken her opinions and recommendations as she should.

however it all came to a head a couple months ago when the board voted to drop masks. I directly went against the state DHEC and cdc recommendations. In a nut shell the board voted to do this. Then that night the boards head hired/retained attorney found out about this and she reached out to the board chair to clarify that their decision to go against the states recommendations would open them up to legal liabilities and they would not be protected under whatever pandemic law was in place.
The board chair auctioned a call with the attorney and the super and they agreed to override the boards prior vote UNTIL further analysis of the situation and ramifications could be done.

that moment then spiraled into another heated board meeting where they essentially accused her of overruling them. She did not. She and the board chair made that call based on the attorneys recommendation snd that attorney stated that she was essentially hired to advise and that’s exactly what she did. It was the right call at the time and it followed proper chain of command.

several times this year Ed White said in the board meeting that his general vote and opinion was to support the super and that’s what he felt they should do. Others want to run a dictatorship.

Multiple times. Only Huddle has had the decency to reply. I disagree with her but at least she has some gumption. And doesn’t hide in the shadows of her role.

the issue I really have is the board voting to remove her in executive session and then basically threatened her buyout of compensations if she didn’t resign and forced a firing and then tried tog ET all
The board members to sign a hush NDA about it so no one would know the truth. That is NOt a transparent board which is exactly what these people ran their board campaign on.
To me the moment they pushed for the hush NDA is the moment this became an ethics issue and the board should be forced to resign and call for an emergency election. That is unacceptable.

now could all that with the fact that the super was just voted as the best in the state and you have a gigantic black eye on our district that will greatly impact its ability to hire another great super. It’s the San Snyder skins situation and you see what a dumpster fire that is. So this will affect my
Thank you! This is it precisely.

You nailed it. Perfect synopsis of this entire situation.

You nailed it. Perfect synopsis of this entire situation.
Thank you. Sorry for the spelling and word errors. I swear I can spell and write. Darn iphone autocorrecting a bunch of stuff and I’m just too pissed to fix each one I guess. Y'all get the idea. This has got to be taken higher up to get resolution. Our super is gone but this board should go with them and it’ll prevent this kind of bullshit from happening in the future if they know the people won’t stand for their back door dealings.

All over masks for a little longer. Good grief.

I don't agree with the comment that there is a violation of any rules or ethics due to the Executive Session. This was a personnel matter which is exactly what the ES is for. These matters are not to be made public and for good reason. In this case people want to know because they believe the Super has been wronged and that may be so, but what if the situation were reversed and the Super had committed some violation and had to be terminated for it? The ES is to keep that confidential so as not to smear the name of an employee in public. You can't have it both ways. Either personnel matters are confidential or they are not. In fact the only member who may have committed a violation is the one who resigned and went public to disclose this confidential information.

Thank you. Sorry for the spelling and word errors. I swear I can spell and write. Darn iphone autocorrecting a bunch of stuff and I’m just too pissed to fix each one I guess. Y'all get the idea. This has got to be taken higher up to get resolution. Our super is gone but this board should go with them and it’ll prevent this kind of bullshit from happening in the future if they know the people won’t stand for their back door dealings.
It’s my understanding a number of teachers from the district have moved along as well.

I don't agree with the comment that there is a violation of any rules or ethics due to the Executive Session. This was a personnel matter which is exactly what the ES is for. These matters are not to be made public and for good reason. In this case people want to know because they believe the Super has been wronged and that may be so, but what if the situation were reversed and the Super had committed some violation and had to be terminated for it? The ES is to keep that confidential so as not to smear the name of an employee in public. You can't have it both ways. Either personnel matters are confidential or they are not. In fact the only member who may have committed a violation is the one who resigned and went public to disclose this confidential information.
I hear your point. It’s valid. However in a typical personnel decision issue, would the board members have them tried to get everyone to sign an NDA about it or is within the standard board protocol to aint aim confidentiallity? If the latter then the simple act of attempting an NDA over the issue itself is incriminating and very telling. That to me is essentially an admittance of wrongdoing otherwise they would have felt completely justified and within their right to remove her. Further there would have been a vote to fire, not a hush hush super secret agreement to resign and play nice or else.

I must have missed it.

Still, it was that simple our schools. They sent the waiver the very next day. Not sure why other schools couldn't have done the same.

And there was no need to separate kids anyway.
It isn’t simple when you have parents wanting different things. Who separated students? It’s not like the students with masks were put in one room and the ones without were put in another.

The board sets policy. The superintendent is in charge of the day to day operations of the district.

All over masks for a little longer. Good grief.

I agree. Regardless of whether they are effective or not, finish out the year and move forward.

I think most are just a little bit more antsy because the government has taken an ‘innocent until proven guilty’ approach to health measures. If you look at the COVID stats for kids, they have a better chance of being struck by lightening than having complications - yet, many of these measures seem unfairly weighted on them.

The government's attempt to openly push the vaccine on kids is disgusting. CDC is now having emergency meetings over heart inflammation in the young post vaxx. It's good to see most of Europe now is pushing back against mandatory vaccinations - especially the young population. Many experts (whatever that means these days) in the US are starting too as well.

I hear your point. It’s valid. However in a typical personnel decision issue, would the board members have them tried to get everyone to sign an NDA about it or is within the standard board protocol to aint aim confidentiallity? If the latter then the simple act of attempting an NDA over the issue itself is incriminating and very telling. That to me is essentially an admittance of wrongdoing otherwise they would have felt completely justified and within their right to remove her. Further there would have been a vote to fire, not a hush hush super secret agreement to resign and play nice or else.
So requesting an NDA regarding a procedure that is supposed to be confidential anyway, is wrong? That seems a little contrarian. Apparently, they had good reason for it seeing that the one Board Member went public with it anyway. You may not like what they did, but it is entirely within the rules they are required to operate under.

sooo, do you have specific info about this firing, or you just making general statements? Because the limited info I’ve been able to gather is that POSSIBLY/MAYBE (again, no idea) it had something to do with reopenings and/or mask wearing? If so, my question would be…is this superintendent’s “experience and degrees” in worldwide pandemics, or in education? Because unless it’s the former, I don’t see where her
“Experience and degrees” make her any more qualified than soccer moms and dads, or the school board. Now, some seem to be saying that an entire school board just happened to arbitrarily decide to fire the “superintendent of the year” for no reason. Maybe, but I doubt it. What I imagine is that there’s multiple sides to the story and we’re not getting the whole picture. The more plausible explanation to me is that it’s likely there’s a subordinate employee who is refusing to follow the directives of her superiors and she ended up fired. Again, maybe I’m wrong. If you got details, let’s hear them
If so, my question would be…is this superintendent’s “experience and degrees” in worldwide pandemics, or in education? Because unless it’s the former, I don’t see where her
“Experience and degrees” make her any more qualified than soccer moms and dads, or the school board.

Huh? Who knows that is really going on here but the Superintendent of the district, whether he/she is a public health expert or not, would have access to loads of actual public health data, information and guidance from the state, CDC and the Dept of Education to base a wise decision on. Moms and Dads just want their kids out of their house.

so IF that’s what happened, you’re saying that a district superintendent who has no medical or science background should have the ultimate say over parents or school board who have no medical or science background. I’d disagree with that, because at the end of the day…..

-the parents are the ultimate boss
-the school board are the elected representative of the boss
-the superintendent is the subordinate employee who is hired to carry out the directives of the officials who represent the bosses.

if the superintendent feels that she is the ultimate authority and cannot carry out the lawful directives of her bosses, then she was rightly fired.

And again, that’s IF that’s what happened
Your bullet points just described a nightmare, highly dysfunctional school district.

The board sets policy. The superintendent is in charge of the day to day operations of the district.
In charge day to day because the board can't meet day to day, but if the board gives direct instructions on those day to day operations, the superintendent is a subordinate and subject to firing if those directions or orders are ignored.

Well since my principal is the one that offers the job I’d say him. Kinda like your job. Whoever offers you the job is your boss. Hires are approved by the board, but those guys couldn’t pick me out of a lineup. You know it and I know it.

Again I work with parents but I don’t work for parents. Any parent who thinks they are their teachers boss is an egotistical a-hole.
I think you ultimately work for the school board. They can fire you, they can fire your principal. I agree you don't work directly for the individual parents who show up wanting things for their kids. "Why didn't my precious get an A+?" You only work for them in the sense that they elect the school board and should be expressing their desires to the school board through their voting, not to you.

They absolutely are. For some the school board is just a way to directly throw their weight around as opposed to the behind the scenes work with their checkbooks.
Maybe South Carolina is different, but it isn't that way in Texas. The guys with big checkbooks don't have time for the headaches of long school board meetings with presentations about whether to buy six inch straws for the cafeteria or seven inch straws. yeah, I have seen that presentation. The school board is mostly do gooders and those with education agendas of one sort or another. The big checkbooks may support a proxy who makes the board, but I can't see them doing it themselves. A college board is a different matter, those are loaded with big political donors.

Maybe South Carolina is different, but it isn't that way in Texas. The guys with big checkbooks don't have time for the headaches of long school board meetings with presentations about whether to buy six inch straws for the cafeteria or seven inch straws. yeah, I have seen that presentation. The school board is mostly do gooders and those with education agendas of one sort or another. The big checkbooks may support a proxy who makes the board, but I can't see them doing it themselves. A college board is a different matter, those are loaded with big political donors.
Here it’s a lot of the significant others of the checkbooks.

In charge day to day because the board can't meet day to day, but if the board gives direct instructions on those day to day operations, the superintendent is a subordinate and subject to firing if those directions or orders are ignored.
If a board is involved in the day to day operations of a school district then they need to be voted out. Their role is to set policy. She did what they asked even though it was ridiculous.

It isn’t simple when you have parents wanting different things. Who separated students? It’s not like the students with masks were put in one room and the ones without were put in another.

No but I will say it likely wasn’t uncommon once the mask mandate was lifted to put the anti maskers on one side and the maskers on the other. Kids fell into 3 categories at the high school level on masks: anti mask, pro mask and I’ll wear a mask bc I enjoy being less engaged. So once it was lifted teachers did put anti maskers on a side of the room with kids who likely wore masks but not because they cared about being around people without a mask. It also made it harder for students to pick up on the separation, since technically there were maskers around them. Anytime a parent requests not to be beside someone (usually a personality conflict or a history) I’ve always honored that request. I’m sure there were parents that asked teachers not to be around kids refusing to wear masks.
I think you ultimately work for the school board. They can fire you, they can fire your principal. I agree you don't work directly for the individual parents who show up wanting things for their kids. "Why didn't my precious get an A+?" You only work for them in the sense that they elect the school board and should be expressing their desires to the school board through their voting, not to you.

I do see your point. I’ve taught in 5 different schools. I’ve never been interviewed by a school board member. Whenever a principal interviewed and selected me, the school board never rejected my hire.

I did work in one small SC town where the school board was crooked as hell and I got out of there quick. That board had way too much power and id probably agree with you in that instance. Where I teach now there are so many school board members the power is pretty diluted by the sheer size of the board.

She got 250k to leave peacefully, without public comment.

Hopefully the fiscally conservative at the very least would question why it was worth $250,000 to let the Superintendent walk. Plus the cost of the search and hiring of a new Superintendent. This is easily a half million dollar decision that the tax payers of this zone are on the hook for. This definitely isn’t the most efficient use of tax payer funds.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

I was responding to this. There was no reason to even consider that decision.

I would suggest a reread of the order then because the development and use of a waiver is laid out in it.

It’s also not as simple as just drafting a piece of paper as the schools would have to make a decision on whether you commingle the students or keep them separated which could involve changing classrooms and teachers. Again with three weeks left to go in the school year and no advanced warning it was a completely ridiculous decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT