ADVERTISEMENT

Lex Rich 5 superintendent BullS$&? Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was responding to this. There was no reason to even consider that decision.
Yes there was and it happened in some places. Some of the parents who supported the mask mandates didn’t want their kids around the kids without masks. Their feelings on the matter are no less important or in need of being accommodated than the people on the other side.

If a board is involved in the day to day operations of a school district then they need to be voted out. Their role is to set policy. She did what they asked even though it was ridiculous.

Did she? Because superintendents who do what the board tells them don't usually get paid $250K to go away. That is usually reserved for those who won't follow the board's directions and policy, when they get fed up with it.

Did she? Because superintendents who do what the board tells them don't usually get paid $250K to go away. That is usually reserved for those who won't follow the board's directions and policy, when they get fed up with it.
She did what they said. Then after realizing that they may have a legal problem, they flip-flopped.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
From all accounts she did what they asked. Their issue was that she told them she disagreed with it and that what they wanted to do wasn’t legal which turned out to be correct.

She most certainly did follow the board’s directive. They board had to reverse their decision because of a legal issue and because they don’t listen to anyone.

So why get rid of her if she does what they want?
Because she was much smarter than they are for one thing and actually knows how to run a district. They want full control of the day to day operations and they will hire someone that will turn it over to them. It will not take long for them to run the district in the ground. However, after this stunt I fully expect the board to flip next time. Very sad for a great district.

Because she was much smarter than they are for one thing and actually knows how to run a district. They want full control of the day to day operations and they will hire someone that will turn it over to them. It will not take long for them to run the district in the ground. However, after this stunt I fully expect the board to flip next time. Very sad for a great district.
That is the way voting is supposed to work. Vote em out if they aren't good.

Reactions: mannblack
This is what happens when you elect a bunch of Trump crazies to the board.
I doubt they were Trump ceazies.....liberals are the one that have education messed up. Examples include Common Core, High Schools That Work, etc

By accusing board members of not being able to spell school, you indicated degrees. And, your Wendy’s comparison is false. While a Wendy’s employee may never have had roofing experience, most, if not all school board members have had parental experience. Some of the less educated ones ( more than some) are the best and wisest
Sometimes.....some grown folks were dumb as hell in HS and just because they get older and a job doesn't make them smarter

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Sometimes.....some grown folks were dumb as hell in HS and just because they get older and a job doesn't make them smarter
Didn’t say it did. Point is, just because someone isn’t an academic, or maby doesn’t have much education at all, doesn’t mean they can’t be smart, level headed, fair, or generally make good decisions. I know many

A lot of the "rich parents" in Richland District One simply pulled their kids out of school. It's heartbreaking to see how many bright kids went to private school, and they ain't coming back anytime soon. (I know one private school that increased it's student-to-teacher ratio by 25% DURING the pandemic). Meanwhile, the "poorest," disadvantaged, and intellectually challenged kids who are most in need of in-person, 5 days a week instruction were saddled with "at home learning" (a joke). The "brain drain" in Richland 1 is a real thing and will eventually show up in test scores.

Let's keep it real: the teachers were looking out for themselves, not the students. I don't blame them. I also don't blame "rich parents" for looking out for the best interest of their children. So here we are.
I told you it was going to be bad. The South Carolina Dept of Ed tried to get a waiver from the federal govt not to give the test last year because they knew it was going to be bad. And the scores will continue to drop as districts lose more of their brightest students to private schools.
EDU1.jpg

PYXLVLU7WBBQ7BTQJPVBURK3AA.png

Just STOP. National politics have little to nothing to do with local politics. Give it a rest!!
That not really true. One of the big focuses that one group gets better than the other is that it is a lot easier to get into small local positions than it is to take things on a national level. There was a PAC in Pennsylvania that provided 500k in funding for school board races as they are becoming a primary focus. In some ways it’s a lot easier for the craziness (from either side) to bleed into the local setting because less people pay attention to it until something like firing the Superintendent of the Year happens.

Richland county property taxes are near the top if not highest in the state. Car tax bill I got last month gives the breakdown of where the money goes. 45.5% to school taxes, 13.9% to school bonds, 1% to Midlands Tech. That ain’t 70, but 60.4% is a dang lot.
Richland County tax rates are also double from what I’ve paid in other counties across the state.
The reason your car taxes are so high for schools is because state tax laws exempt your primary residence from taxes for school operating expenses. Beaufort County tries to push every home into the second home/investment property classification for that reason.

That not really true. One of the big focuses that one group gets better than the other is that it is a lot easier to get into small local positions than it is to take things on a national level. There was a PAC in Pennsylvania that provided 500k in funding for school board races as they are becoming a primary focus. In some ways it’s a lot easier for the craziness (from either side) to bleed into the local setting because less people pay attention to it until something like firing the Superintendent of the Year happens.
I don't doubt that out of area, even out of state, money gets into local races, but I simply do not believe that whoever wins a national election has any impact on a local election.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
Get out of public school. Anyway you can.
Public schools in southern Beaufort County have excellent reputations....no reason to pull kids out, eventhough we also have some of the better private schools in the state (unless you just like to pay the equivalent of college tuition).

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Public schools in southern Beaufort County have excellent reputations....no reason to pull kids out, eventhough we also have some of the better private schools in the state (unless you just like to pay the equivalent of college tuition).
I'm sure there are exceptions here and there, but good public schools are a rarity.

I'm sure there are exceptions here and there, but good public schools are a rarity.
I wouldn't say a rarity...not even close. The wealthier areas tend to have better schools. But I wouldn't live in Jasper County because of the schools there. There is a documentary that became rather infamous that was produced and shown on PBS/SCETV several year ago regarding the condition of schools in some of the counties in SC....that was shameful....and those counties do not have good private schools either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT