ADVERTISEMENT

LHN doesn't die, it becomes the SEC West Network w/ studios in Austin

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
LHN doesn't die, it becomes the SEC West Network w/ studios in Austin. That is what workers in Austin are being told, they have jobs. It will be paired free as a part of the SEC network package, not separately billed or requested. Run by the SEC network, but maintaining Austin offices for productions on teams in the west part of the SEC. Evidently all a part of the deal with Disney. The Birminghams studios focusing more on the east of the SEC with some joint programming.

Can't help but wonder how long this agreement will last. "Give them an inch, they take a mile" eventually?
Well the SEC network people will be in control of it, and presumably this was all a part of the original deal. We are just hearing about it now. Disney/ESPN calling the shots on this part more than the schools or conference.

LHN doesn't die, it becomes the SEC West Network w/ studios in Austin. That is what workers in Austin are being told, they have jobs. It will be paired free as a part of the SEC network package, not separately billed or requested. Run by the SEC network, but maintaining Austin offices for productions on teams in the west part of the SEC. Evidently all a part of the deal with Disney. The Birminghams studios focusing more on the east of the SEC with some joint programming.
This is about ESPN. They’ve lost around $50 million so far on LHN. Gotta recoup some of that.

Gee, a network for each side of the "conference." Sounds like two conferences to me.

Can I recommend NFL Sunday Ticket for all of you that want to turn college football into the NFL? It will allow you to watch the NFL, which already exists.

I suspected the LHN would be absorbed, but for it it be labeled SEC2 (or similar) instead of being SEC West. Hopefully there will be some crossover when there are no events in the West and many in the East,

I suspected the LHN would be absorbed, but for it it be labeled SEC2 (or similar) instead of being SEC West. Hopefully there will be some crossover when there are no events in the West and many in the East,
I think that is the plan. Some joint programming played on each station and just more concentration on the West in one and East in the other. The advantage is that it is easier to get interviews from folks in Austin, College Station, Norman, and really even Baton Rouge and Fayetteville from the Austin offices than it is from Birmingham.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I can imagine that sometime in the future that from time to time the SEC championship game will be played in Arlington, Texas as a token for Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC. Past regular season SEC teams that have played at Arlington

2016 Alabama against Southern California

2017 Florida against Michigan

2018 Louisiana State against Miami

2019 Auburn against Oregon

Multiple games between Texas A&M and Arkansas

Nothing alarming. It's a big league. It might be getting still bigger.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I can imagine that sometime in the future that from time to time the SEC championship game will be played in Arlington, Texas as a token for Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC. Past regular season SEC teams that have played at Arlington

SEC championship game and the basketball and baseball tournaments should've been rotating for years anyway.

SEC championship game and the basketball and baseball tournaments should've been rotating for years anyway.
Men's and women's basketball already does change location of tournament. I do not mind baseball being only at one location. I do not hear any complaining about College World Series always being played at Omaha. A location that needs to be change is the women's SEC soccer tournament that has been played at Orange Beach, Alabama. I think that a late season hurricane is not out of the question which would likely cancel the soccer tournament if a hurricane were to happen.

If that's true; both Alabama and Auburn are coming over to the East division if they don't go the pod route.

Men's and women's basketball already does change location of tournament. I do not mind baseball being only at one location. I do not hear any complaining about College World Series always being played at Omaha. A location that needs to be change is the women's SEC soccer tournament that has been played at Orange Beach, Alabama. I think that a late season hurricane is not out of the question which would likely cancel the soccer tournament if a hurricane were to happen.
I know it's tradition for Omaha but it would be nice to move it around a bit.
It's easier/cheaper sometimes to fly to the west coast than to get a tripped planed for Omaha.

You might have a bigger crowd if it was hosted in a larger city that could handle it and more flights to choose from.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Football should've been Atlanta, Nashville, New Orleans for years. Now with this horrible expansion, brought on by the worst examples of humanity in history, Dallas and/or Houston should be in the mix.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble

I don't know about that...
Atlanta works because it's such a major airport hub and can handle a 'super bowl' like event.

You would have to find a city that similar to Atlanta and a hub to everything in the SEC.
You could say Houston or Dallas but that's too far west.

New Orleans maybe?

Reactions: redrogers
Football should've been Atlanta, Nashville, New Orleans for years. Now with this horrible expansion, brought on by the worst examples of humanity in history, Dallas and/or Houston should be in the mix.
I still haven't made it to see a game at College Station yet. We play out there this year the same weekend I'm going to Turks and Caicos.

My brother in law was living out in Houston too for a while... missed that golden opportunity.

I don't know about that...
Atlanta works because it's such a major airport hub and can handle a 'super bowl' like event.

You would have to find a city that similar to Atlanta and a hub to everything in the SEC.
You could say Houston or Dallas but that's too far west.

New Orleans maybe?
Georgia and Oklahoma went out to Pasadena to play in the Rose bowl a few years ago and it looked like from the television that the stadium was filled to capacity. Same thing a year later in Northern California when Alabama played against clemson. Just from observing this board sounds like quiet a few people that participates in the Fighting Gamecock Forum went to Arizona to see South Carolina in the final four. SEC fans will travel.

SECN is owned by ESPN, aka: Disney.

LHN is owned by LHN, IMG & ESPN, aka: Disney.

Is there any chance that your hyper-posting will eventually take a break?

Go Cocks!

If that's true; both Alabama and Auburn are coming over to the East division if they don't go the pod route.
At least the SEC network thinks it is the pod route. Probably not set in stone, but they were suggesting possible pods groupings.

E651yM2WYAcwI5W

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

One factor is Jerry Jones aggressively markets the Cowboys stadium and can offer very attractive financial arrangements for games there in that huge beautiful stadium. You can bet some of the OU-Arkansas games will be in Jerryworld. Maybe some of the LSU away games against Arkansas, OU or even A&M.

If this is true, it would seem to imply that we're staying with the East/West divisions model, only with eight teams each instead of seven.

This would be a terrible move, IMO.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
I like this plan. Would rather A&M were in the same pod as TX.
Rumor is A&M traded making it a 14-0 vote for being in a different pod. Trying to keep their own "identity" and all. They chafe at looking like Texas and OU's younger sibling. That pod works good for them, that is probably the easiest pod, especially if LSU is down any. They will still play OU and Texas every other year.

I think the physical offices and studios for SEC Network were in Charlotte?

Rumor is A&M traded making it a 14-0 vote for being in a different pod. Trying to keep their own "identity" and all. They chafe at looking like Texas and OU's younger sibling. That pod works good for them, that is probably the easiest pod, especially if LSU is down any. They will still play OU and Texas every other year.
Yeah, I can live with it. Just my druthers. I don't want in a pod w/ Vandy.

I think the physical offices and studios for SEC Network were in Charlotte?
That may be, that would make it even farther for those in Austin, College Station, Baton Rouge, Norman, and Fayetteville to travel to for interviews.

Battleship,

Enjoyed your posts here for years. Never really knew why you came here, but assumed you were ubiquitous on rivals. Or, you knew this would happen some day...which would make you clairvoyant or genius.

Either way, look forward to more personal banter I would guess!

Premature welcome to the SEC!

PS: I was in Birmingham back in 1990 in Five Points talking to a Bama fan. After we finished our discussion, he said, "welcome to the SEC!" This was in August after Ark was already invited to join, but we did not know for another 4-5 months.

Battleship,

Enjoyed your posts here for years. Never really knew why you came here, but assumed you were ubiquitous on rivals. Or, you knew this would happen some day...which would make you clairvoyant or genius.

Either way, look forward to more personal banter I would guess!

Premature welcome to the SEC!

PS: I was in Birmingham back in 1990 in Five Points talking to a Bama fan. After we finished our discussion, he said, "welcome to the SEC!" This was in August after Ark was already invited to join, but we did not know for another 4-5 months.

I second this.

Thanks for the info Battleship.

That may be, that would make it even farther for those in Austin, College Station, Baton Rouge, Norman, and Fayetteville to travel to for interviews.
Does that still happen today? Actually traveling into a brick and mortar studio for an interview? it seems rare.

Georgia and Oklahoma went out to Pasadena to play in the Rose bowl a few years ago and it looked like from the television that the stadium was filled to capacity. Same thing a year later in Northern California when Alabama played against clemson. Just from observing this board sounds like quiet a few people that participates in the Fighting Gamecock Forum went to Arizona to see South Carolina in the final four. SEC fans will travel.
I saw a SoCal/UCLA game out there. Beautiful view but the crowed was meh. LA area is it's own strange beast when it comes to sports.

LHN employees were just given 16- month notices by ESPN that the Network will dissolve by 1/2023.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT