ADVERTISEMENT

Likable coach that can win 7-8 games consistently

That is a reasonable base line of success to build from. People want tonout the cart before the hores but you ha e to walk before you crawl and don’t get ahead of yourself and take baby steps and a dozen other old sayings about building something slowly.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I realize this is going to be a rough rebuilding project. People thinking transfers are going to make us a 10 win program anytime soon are delusional. I do think we are better than we played however. If this staff can just get us fundamentally sound on both sides of the ball our team will look much better even with the talent we have now. It may get worse depending on who stays and who leaves but that me first attitude that has killed us has to be removed. This team has been divided and no team no matter the talent can win like that.

In the grand sweep of program history, this would be excellent progress indeed. 7 to 8 wins consistently, and maybe an SEC East title and championship game appearance every 5-10 years? That doesn't seem unreasonable, but considering we have one SEC-E title in 29 seasons, I would take that scenario in a heartbeat.

Consistency is what this program needs and has never really had outside of the Spurrier era. I would love to think that Beamer could get it rolling in three to four seasons. If he does, he is young enough to potentially have a Frank Beamer-like run at South Carolina.

Sad but true.
7-8 wins not possible. If we win as many as we did this year I would be shocked. Listen we hardly have enough players On the roster and guarantee this Covid Virus ain’t going away any time soon. Add that with injuries that will happen throughout the year we will not come close to being even an average team.

Is what we need to bring stability back to program. That may not sound great, but with SEC schedule and current tater dynasty I’d take it.

Many years ago I attended one of Jim Carlen's presentations in Greer. He asked for a show of hands as to how many attendees would be satisfied with seven wins per year. No one raised there hand. The sad fact is for the last 30 years USC has averaged 6 wins per year. This can only be improved by better recruiting.

In the grand sweep of program history, this would be excellent progress indeed. 7 to 8 wins consistently, and maybe an SEC East title and championship game appearance every 5-10 years? That doesn't seem unreasonable, but considering we have one SEC-E title in 29 seasons, I would take that scenario in a heartbeat.

Consistency is what this program needs and has never really had outside of the Spurrier era. I would love to think that Beamer could get it rolling in three to four seasons. If he does, he is young enough to potentially have a Frank Beamer-like run at South Carolina.

Well, it took his dad 7 years, and about got fired at VT before he got anything going.
Is what we need to bring stability back to program. That may not sound great, but with SEC schedule and current tater dynasty I’d take it.

I am not sure what being likeable has to do with it. May be popular at Gamecock Club meetings, but I could care less about that. But then again, being a nice guy with a familiar last name, seems to be the best item on his resume

The landscape for big time college football has changed tremendously over the past ten years.

1. Breaking the code of the big boys for the CFP...Tough for everybody without name recognition.
2. Florida is back. Kids still leaving SC for UGA as if they don't have talent in GA.
3. Transferring is about to add more favor to the big boys and allow them to poach lesser programs.
4. Not enough talent in the state of SC to compete at high level in SEC.
5. No matter what anybody thinks UofSC is a great job but unlike at Clemson (located in the hills) being in Columbia there's too many chefs (statehouse & board) in the kitchen. Absent a big presence like Lou or SOS as hc you don't know who's your boss.

With all that, I am still hoping for the best with this new direction.

The landscape for big time college football has changed tremendously over the past ten years.

5. No matter what anybody thinks UofSC is a great job but unlike at Clemson (located in the hills) being in Columbia there's too many chefs (statehouse & board) in the kitchen. Absent a big presence like Lou or SOS as hc you don't know who's your boss.

With all that, I am still hoping for the best with this new direction.

In the past, this has been a true roadblock. In the 1960's, 70's and early 80's, add to that the fact that our football coach was also our athletic director. That ultimately cost us our membership and status as a founding member of the ACC. That was a football decision, spearheaded by our football coach/AD, Paul Dietzel.

A strong University president and AD are even more important than the big presence in the HC position you mentioned. We have been fortunate to have strong leadership in the president's office in the post Holderman years, and have had mostly strong ADs in the years since that position was separated from the HC job. The influence of the legislature, while always a factor, is less toxic and meddlesome than it was years ago.

That is a reasonable base line of success to build from. People want tonout the cart before the hores but you ha e to walk before you crawl and don’t get ahead of yourself and take baby steps and a dozen other old sayings about building something slowly.
I like my cart in front of my hore as I get to see her working hard from the back!

Just joking you and agree.

ADVERTISEMENT