ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley

sandlapper59

Jan 24, 2015
Lincoln Riley was at the top of my list for our new football coach. Not sure he was considered for the job at all but Oklahoma got a gem as their OC. He ran a super offense at ECU and was most certainly available. Now he has stepped in clover as the new head coach at Oklahoma. Will be interesting to see how he does following the Stoops legacy. OU has been top tier for just about forever.

I also think we will be fine with Muschamp. I think we can get to top tier as well but it will take some time following the effort in the direction now being taken by the Carolina coaches and administration. As for me, I'm satisfied that they know their business and support them all the way.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I think Lincoln Riley will be a big name in CF over the next few years. I think Oklahomas problem the last few years hasn't been offense though, they just can stop anyone. Always in shootouts.

I like Lincoln Riley as a coach, but he has some tough obstacles to overcome. First the coach that succeeds a coach who won a NC, almost never does well. Maybe outsized expectations or whatever.

Second, he doesn't have his own staff, he has Stoops' staff. That can change and gradually he will have his guys if he lasts. Right now his defensive coordinator is Mike Stoops. You think Mike Stoops is receptive to taking orders from his brother's OC? Not at all. Kerry Cooks was recently hired at defensive backfield coach from Notre Dame. Riley had no part in the hire. Same for Calvin Thibodeaux on the d-line, hired in 2016.

Riley doesn't have the power that Stoops had. Merv Johnson has been head of football operations at OU since 1979. He does things his way. You think he is going to change for a new HC who may be gone in a few years? Now if Riley wins for a few years, his power will grow, right now he has very little power.

Last edited:
If we had hired Riley, wouldn't he be gone to OU, since stoops retired after 1 year.

We may have avoided a big pile of you no what, just like Herman and Texas.

Until he proves otherwise, he's just as likely to turn out like that Kingsbury boy. Let's cool down a little bit.

I like Lincoln Riley as a coach, but he has some tough obstacles to overcome. First the coach that succeeds a coach who won a NC, almost never does well. Maybe outsized expectations or whatever.

Second, he doesn't have his own staff, he has Stoops' staff. That can change and gradually he will have his guys if he lasts. Right now his defensive coordinator is Mike Stoops. You think Mike Stoops is receptive to taking orders from his brother's OC? Not at all. Kerry Cooks was recently hired at defensive backfield coach from Notre Dame. Riley had no part in the hire. Same for Calvin Thibodeaux on the d-line, hired in 2016.

Riley doesn't have the power that Stoops had. Merv Johnson has been head of football operations at OU since 1979. He does things his way. You think he is going to change for a new HC who may be gone in a few years? Now if Riley wins for a few years, his power will grow, right now he has very little power.

The national championship from Stoops was in year 2. OU fans were ready for him to go because of all the big game disappoints by Big Game Bob. A little crazy if you ask me, but expectations are different there. If we ever have a coach who dominates the SEC the way he dominated the Big 12, we would remain Gervais street after him and build a shrine.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
The national championship from Stoops was in year 2. OU fans were ready for him to go because of all the big game disappoints by Big Game Bob. A little crazy if you ask me, but expectations are different there. If we ever have a coach who dominates the SEC the way he dominated the Big 12, we would remain Gervais street after him and build a shrine.

The point is that expectations are high, perhaps unreasonably so for a new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT