ADVERTISEMENT

Link to article on the overwhelming percentage of AD's that support expanded playoff...

This whole Power 5 thing is starting to look silly given how good the AAC has been.

Why not expand it? Lower divisions have had a football playoff system for a long time. The only reason I can think of to be against it is because it threatens the Power 5 status quo because schools like Central Florida might get into the playoff and beat someone important.

Why not expand it? Lower divisions have had a football playoff system for a long time. The only reason I can think of to be against it is because it threatens the Power 5 status quo because schools like Central Florida might get into the playoff and beat someone important.
Adding more teams only brings in less excellence because you're going to double participation at a minimum. Leave it alone.

I'd be in favor of expanding it to 8 teams and extending the season 1 more week in January.
Perfect.

Well, that, and IMO, COMPLETELY remove conference tie-ins. THE. BEST. EIGHT. IN. Regardless of conference or final conference standing. The if top eight teams in the land are all in the SEC, then so be it. If it’s 4 from the PAC and 4 from the ACC (both laughers, I know), then so be it. No crappy “conference champs” over a potentially better non-conference-champ from another conference.
I realize I’m relatively in the minority on that, but.....

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I've always believed the expansion of playoff teams was inevitable, which is why I never bothered to engage in the debate "should they or shouldn't they".
It's going to happen.
I do agree that a "conference champion" shouldn't get automatic qualification status. With every P5 conference having a championship game, the day is going to happen when a 8-4 or 9-3 team happens to win. And, then watch the fireworks happen when a higher ranked team gets bumped out.

Reactions: 92Pony
Perfect.

Well, that, and IMO, COMPLETELY remove conference tie-ins. THE. BEST. EIGHT. IN. Regardless of conference or final conference standing. The if top eight teams in the land are all in the SEC, then so be it. If it’s 4 from the PAC and 4 from the ACC (both laughers, I know), then so be it. No crappy “conference champs” over a potentially better non-conference-champ from another conference.

So far I like the way they have picked the four teams. Yes, you can quibble sometimes about #4 - 6, but for the most part they have gotten it right. But no conference tie-ins. I guess the risk is if they go to 8 there might be a lot of pressure for conference champions to get an automatic berth. That would be a mistake IMHO.

Reactions: king ward
So far I like the way they have picked the four teams. Yes, you can quibble sometimes about #4 - 6, but for the most part they have gotten it right. But no conference tie-ins. I guess the risk is if they go to 8 there might be a lot of pressure for conference champions to get an automatic berth. That would be a mistake IMHO.
It would automatically debunk the entire process.

We are already struggling to get 4 worthy teams consistently from year to year in this grand age of “Parity “, so why would we want another 2 or 4 more road kills and call them playoff teams?

might as well carve up the US into 4 regions and have 64 (or 68) if we need to take care of those mid major play in games, and shorten the regular season to 5 or 6 games.

did you ever think these programs are in favor of expansion because they haven’t sniffed or reached the top 5..........doesn’t make it a good idea.

sometimes you have to go beat the big dog and take their spot. Get to work

Last edited:

Agreed. Expanding the playoff won't solve anything either. No matter what number you expand to, those on the outside fringe looking in will complain. For Pete's sake, the NCAAT has 66 teams (or whatever it is now) and you still have teams complaining about not getting in.

Further, expanding the playoffs renders the regular season more and more meaningless. Why should a team of LSU's caliber be forced to prove how good they are by playing an extra game? At some point, enough is enough. I see the expansion as creating a scenario where you get teams winning the title who really weren't the best, which is the opposite of what the playoffs are supposed to do.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
We are already struggling to get 4 worthy teams consistently from year to year in this grand age of “Parody “, so why would we want another 2 or 4 more road kills and call them playoff teams?

might as well carve up the US into 4 regions and have 64 (or 68) if we need to take care of those mid major play in games, and shorten the regular season to 5 or 6 games.

did you ever think these programs are in favor of expansion because they haven’t sniffed or reached the top 5..........doesn’t make it a good idea.

Dang, that was dead on. If you want to be in the playoffs, play your way into the top 4.

Perfect.

Even the NFL doesn't do this. You can have a 9-7 division champ but a 10-6 3rd place finisher in another division can get snubbed.

We are already struggling to get 4 worthy teams consistently from year to year in this grand age of “Parody “, so why would we want another 2 or 4 more road kills and call them playoff teams?

Please tell me you know it's Parity and not Parody...

Want to make bowl games mean something again, like they did when I was growing up? Go to a 16 team playoff. Get rid of all the superfluous bowl games. Who needs to see .500 and sub .500 teams play anyway? Playoffs are good enough for the other sports, college and pro. It should be so for college football. Let's face it, if you're THAT good, you shouldn't have to worry about how many games you have to play for a Championship.

There were only 18 bowl games in 1991, my Freshman fall at Carolina. Now there are 40. WTH?????? I know, it's all about the money. However, there is no way all those bowl games actually make money, with the empty seats in the stadiums.

Adding more teams only brings in less excellence because you're going to double participation at a minimum. Leave it alone.

I'd almost agree with this except as the CFP is now it makes it virtually impossible for most FBS programs to compete for a title in their own division. It's in no way shape or form a level playing field.

That said, I don't know if an expanded playoff would work -- and I'm a fan of the lower classifications (I-AA, etc) -- because I believe the deck will still be stacked against all but the elite programs.

But at least the expansion would give additional programs a (long) shot, every now and then.

Raise the bar to 9 wins for a bowl. That puts meaning back into but. keeps it with quality teams competing against each other.

Stick with the 4 team playoff. The playoffs have not taken away from what all the other bowl games mean. Don’t understand this fanatical desire by some suddenly find meaning in bowl games.

Raise the bar to 9 wins for a bowl. That puts meaning back into but. keeps it with quality teams competing against each other.

Stick with the 4 team playoff. The playoffs have not taken away from what all the other bowl games mean. Don’t understand this fanatical desire by some suddenly find meaning in bowl games.

Still won't have enough teams with 9 wins to fill 40 bowls. Therefore, we get rid of the superfluous bowl games.

Still won't have enough teams with 9 wins to fill 40 bowls. Therefore, we get rid of the superfluous bowl games.

Well, yeah, that would be the purpose of raising the bar to 9 wins. It wasn't the playoffs that stripped the bowls of significance, it was the bowls.

We have to redefine what a good season is. Using 6 wins is an antiquated benchmark. Like we did in 2018, you can get to 6 wins without beating anyone of consequence. Nine wins is a much more appropriate benchmark for today's game.

Last edited:
Upsets happen in the NCAA basketball tourney every year. One good thing about expanding is that it would make Clemson have to play more than one game to get to the championship game. More chances for an upset.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

It's an extension of the contemporary cultural emphasis on validation, self-actualization, and ego gratification.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT