ADVERTISEMENT

List of Gamecock QB transfers who had had success at QB after transferring

Anthony Wright had a pretty good NFL career as a QB, didn't he? Maybe as a back-up/part time starter for the Ravens for several years? I just don't remember the details.
He was also with the Giants for a couple of years as well. Wright also has a Super Bowl ring.

He was an interesting case since he wasn’t even the starter when he left here.

Tommy Beecher is the one who started that one game and just bombed... It was a damn shame to see. Kinda made it feel like Spurrier used him to send a message to Garcia..
...Chris Smelley. Garcia was 3rd starting that season.

There's a NFL player who played with Tanner. He told me Tanner was the most athletically gifted player we had but he was in SOS's doghouse for that incident and would always be. Looks like he was onto something considering he made the league as a Safety and WR.
Mangus recruited McEvoy as a "project". His passing was underdeveloped. When he left, he was 5th on the depth chart behind Shaw & Thompson. He wound up playing against us in the bowl game v. Wisky as a S.

He was also with the Giants for a couple of years as well. Wright also has a Super Bowl ring.

He was an interesting case since he wasn’t even the starter when he left here.
A1 also started for the Cowboys for a short time...mostly due to injuries to starters. I thought he looked good and it made me enraged at how Brad Scott had squandered possibly the most talented QB we'd ever had.

A1 also started for the Cowboys for a short time...mostly due to injuries to starters. I thought he looked good and it made me enraged at how Brad Scott had squandered possibly the most talented QB we'd ever had.
Pretty sure Phil Petty felt the same way after the oline revolted at Wright getting replaced.

Reactions: Flameout12
I think when Russell Wilson was told he could only play football, (not baseball) at NC State if he stayed his final year of eligibility, he wanted to come to the Gamecocks and do both but Spurrier was not interested because we had Conner Shaw at the time. So off to Wisconsin he went... Look at him now!!!
The biggest issue with that was that he already had a season of MiLB under his belt when NCSU tried to tell him to give it up. He still led them to 9-4 in 2010 after being gone for the Summer playing MiLB ball. Guess that wasn't good enough for NCSU (not like they were world beaters before). Plus he was already a graduate student in 2010 anyway, having graduated in May 2010.
Interestingly he didn't appear against us in the 2008 Regional at NCSU.

Last edited:
...Chris Smelley. Garcia was 3rd starting that season.
Ok, sure at that point he was but we all knew Garcia was the real talent of the bunch and Spurrier seemed to be trying to knock his ego down a peg that year or something... putting him behind Beecher and Smelley seemed to be more of a wake up call than what he actually felt was the correct depth chart IMO. I felt like that then and even looking back, considering what we know about Garcia’s monumental head case issues, I still feel that way...

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Ok, sure at that point he was but we all knew Garcia was the real talent of the bunch and Spurrier seemed to be trying to knock his ego down a peg that year or something....
Whatever....SG was a RS FR...he was not ready to start. The "knock" if there was one, was on Smelley who should have been the obvious starter.

Vic Penn is about the only one although UCF wasnt very good back then.
Brandon Mcilwain - Cal (no better)
Connor Mitch - James Mad (quit)
Antonio Heffner - Tenn St (much different competition)
Lorenzo Nunez - SE Louisiana (no better)
Tommy Beecher - Liberty (barely played)

Sure im missing some but thats all I can think of.
Mcilwain also gave up football this year before the season started. And, hasn't done anything in baseball either. Guess his other thinks he wasn't really given a fair chance once again!

We've had very little success with the QBs who stayed, sure wouldn't expect those who were beaten out to go do much somewhere else.

Don't believe we've had a 3.5 year starter transfer before.

You Bentley haters will be manufacturing excuses as to why he's starting in the nfl in a couple of years.

Don't believe we've had a 3.5 year starter transfer before.

You Bentley haters will be manufacturing excuses as to why he's starting in the nfl in a couple of years.
You Muschamp lovers should be used to QBs transferring away from him and doing better. Brissett and Driskell transferred and did much better elsewhere. Both have started games in the NFL this year.

That's what happens when players get better coaching and play in a coherent offensive system.

You Muschamp lovers should be used to QBs transferring away from him and doing better. Brissett and Driskell transferred and did much better elsewhere. Both have started games in the NFL this year.

That's what happens when players get better coaching and play in a coherent offensive system.

Heh. Bentley’s not transferring because “Muschamp”, trust me.

He will flourish in a pro style offense though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT