ADVERTISEMENT

Listen, quit whining about Dabo. If we were in his

Mar 12, 2016
shoes, we would have tried to score at the end also. Besides, we had our starters in too. We didn’t quit, so why should he? I have no problem with what he did, and I can’t stand the guy. It’s our job to stop them from scoring. The best way to respond is for us to get better and whip their a$$ in the future. But, until then, stop whining about it. Whining makes you look soft, ridiculous, and like a sore loser. Enough of that.

32/32 NFL coaches take a knee right there. No reason for another play. Dabo is a phony and anyone that claims he is some morally sophisticated person is either willfully ignorant or just ignorant.
Stay sore about it if you want too. It just makes you look soft and petty. I just hope the people who count will be men and let it be motivation to fight back harder next time.

Of course it will be used as motivation. It's still a classless, Bush league, jackass move, no matter how you try to justify it.

No way Muschamp does anything besides take a knee there. Spurrier did as much a couple of times during our streak. So the "we would have done the same thing" argument is weak.
Wrong. My argument is strong and correct. You’re just looking soft and petty. Keep on whining if you want to. I was just raised to be tough and fight back next time.

I agree with the fans on the field comment. That is such BS to still have that being allowed. Too much riding on these games, too much money at stake, too much of a player/coach safety issue. What are you supposed to do - get them all off the field to run a play with 2 seconds left? That part really pisses me off and one day itll have some major ramifications I feel like, just a matter of time...

Running up the score, whatever, if that's your main takeaway from the game then you are likely just an over the top Dabo-hater in the first place. I personally dont care about it other than OUR guys didnt have the pride to keep them from getting 50 on the scoreboard. Even if you are 3rd strong, man up and make the stop is how i look at it and carry that pride/attitude with you and your teammates into the next game against them.

It's exactly because it was a classless move that I want to fight back. If he didn't do anything wrong, what's there to fight against?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I don’t agree regardless of who does it. With starters in that was a gamble that one of your players gets hurt to swell your ego. Wasn’t necessary.

We must be bottling up motivation in Columbia. Because I thought we would’ve used some by now.
Texas A&M
Georgia
Kentucky
CLEMSON!
Remember the Waterboy movie where Jerry Reed and his players were standing on the sidelines laughing at the SCLSU sideline? Daring them to do something about it?
That’s what I thought about when Dabo urged his team to get to the line and run that play. Then subsequently scored.
Clemson is daring us to do something about it.

shoes, we would have tried to score at the end also. Besides, we had our starters in too. We didn’t quit, so why should he? I have no problem with what he did, and I can’t stand the guy. It’s our job to stop them from scoring. The best way to respond is for us to get better and whip their a$$ in the future. But, until then, stop whining about it. Whining makes you look soft, ridiculous, and like a sore loser. Enough of that.

I'm with you on this. My personal example (NOT from college football...I coach a lower level): our upcoming opponents sent an email to the coaches and ADs in our region complaining about teams running up the score and the lack of sportsmanship. We played them the following week and scored with about 4 minutes left in the game to go up 40-16. I pulled the starting defense and had a mix of 2nd and 3rd stringers in...small underclassmen. Our opponents left in their starters and ran through our defense for a TD to cut it to 40-24 with less than 20 seconds to play.

We returned the kick off to midfield, put the starting offense back in, and threw a roughly 50-yard TD as time expired. When I finally talked to the opposing coaches a month later (they wouldn't speak or shake hands after the game) I told them: if you want mercy, next time someone puts in their subs, YOU PUT IN YOUR SUBS.

I think it was classless. It basically dresses up a deceptively close game in which Clemson's defense got exposed. I wish our D had enough fortitude to stop them, but most any coach would have taken a knee. I really don't mind "running up the score" when a game is well in hand (i.e. running pass plays in a blowout with 5 minutes to go), but taking the knee when you can is the right thing to do. Plus, it's one less chance for an injury to your team.

That said, I'm glad he did it. It is motivation galore. Also, we can pretty much pull any crap against Clemson in the future (run it up, storm the field early, call a time out to bask in garbage time) and they will have NO room to complain.

I'm with you on this. My personal example (NOT from college football...I coach a lower level): our upcoming opponents sent an email to the coaches and ADs in our region complaining about teams running up the score and the lack of sportsmanship. We played them the following week and scored with about 4 minutes left in the game to go up 40-16. I pulled the starting defense and had a mix of 2nd and 3rd stringers in...small underclassmen. Our opponents left in their starters and ran through our defense for a TD to cut it to 40-24 with less than 20 seconds to play.

We returned the kick off to midfield, put the starting offense back in, and threw a roughly 50-yard TD as time expired. When I finally talked to the opposing coaches a month later (they wouldn't speak or shake hands after the game) I told them: if you want mercy, next time someone puts in their subs, YOU PUT IN YOUR SUBS.

So basically what you are saying is we just should have conceded down 14 points?
That makes zero sense. We still had a shot, although minimal, right up until the last few minutes. Under a minute with the ability to run out the clock, most coaches with any class just have the qb take a knee.

Reactions: ShannonL
So basically what you are saying is we just should have conceded down 14 points?
That makes zero sense. We still had a shot, although minimal, right up until the last few minutes. Under a minute with the ability to run out the clock, most coaches with any class just have the qb take a knee.
Concede? Heck no. Try to win the win. If the shoe were on the other foot, I would hope Muschamp would do the same. Try to score and stick it to your rival. Besides, Muschamp didn't put the subs in because he didn't think the game was over. He didn't want mercy. Good for him!
I don't get how its "class" to take a knee with 30 seconds left in the game, but scoring to go up 60 in the 3rd quarter is just part of the game. If you feel so bad about hurting the opponents feelings, just start taking a knee after halftime.

Reactions: SumterGamecockGuy
Somebody posted a video of 2011 game. Up 34-13 and Connor started taking a knee with 2 min left in the game. Dabo had 30 seconds left. And that was Spurrier against the ACC Atlantic champs...Dabo saw how thin we were, he knew what he was doing. We should have stopped them yes but it’s still classless.

If we were in their shoes, we would have tried to score at the end also.

around 2 hours 16 minutes

around 2 hours 13 minutes

around 2 hours 13 minutes

We took the knee all 3 years. The other 2 years ended with Clemson doing something, so a knee wasn't possible. Not something we should do in the future against Clemson after yesterday, but we didn't run plays when the victory formation was possible.

Last edited:
“I don’t care if we win 65-64 or 2-0,” said Dabo. Yet he leaves his starters in and rather than take a knee, makes every effort to pad the score. Nobody with an iota of class or sportsmanship runs a play in that situation. The game was over. Period. Take a knee and go home. It has nothing to do with being competitive. The competition was over. It was all about making the score look better than it really was and taking a cheap shot at a rival. It exposed (yet again) who Dabo really is. A small, disingenuous shyster.

Concede?
I don't get how its "class" to take a knee with 30 seconds left in the game, but scoring to go up 60 in the 3rd quarter is just part of the game. If you feel so bad about hurting the opponents feelings, just start taking a knee after halftime.

The game ends when you take a knee with 30 seconds left in the 4th. The game doesn't end when you take a knee in the 3rd. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Cybercock
The game ends when you take a knee with 30 seconds left in the 4th. The game doesn't end when you take a knee in the 3rd. Hope that helps.
Clearly, the touchdown and this conversation have triggered you. Go find your safe space.
If a team decides to run their offense, regardless of the time and score, so be it. Hell, Spurrier once ran a flea-flicker late in a 45-17 game at Georgia because he wanted to be the first to score 50 at Georgia. Its football. Some coaches take a knee, others drive that knee into your groin.

Clearly, the touchdown and this conversation have triggered you. Go find your safe space.
If a team decides to run their offense, regardless of the time and score, so be it. Hell, Spurrier once ran a flea-flicker late in a 45-17 game at Georgia because he wanted to be the first to score 50 at Georgia. Its football. Some coaches take a knee, others drive that knee into your groin.

I just wanted to answer your question. You didn't seem to understand the difference between taking a knee with 30 seconds left and taking a knee in the 3rd quarter. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

I just wanted to answer your question. You didn't seem to understand the difference between taking a knee with 30 seconds left and taking a knee in the 3rd quarter. Sorry to hurt your feelings.
You don't seem to understand it the offense's job to score and the defense's job to stop them...regardless of score and time. Your frustration with the loss doesn't remove the responsibility from the players and the coaches.

32/32 NFL coaches take a knee right there. No reason for another play. Dabo is a phony and anyone that claims he is some morally sophisticated person is either willfully ignorant or just ignorant.
NFL teams don't undergo a subjective evaluation for determining playoff qualification.

I'll agree to disagree. To me, regardless of people's opinions on "class," it's bad coaching to not take a knee when you have a chance if only because it's one more chance for one of your players to get injured. I don't have a problem with scoring lots of points against your opponent, or even playing aggressive when the game is in hand. And it's always the defense's job to stop the opposing offense. But yeah, I don't think it's classy to not take a knee. Just my opinion; sorry it offends you so much.

That said, I fully support not taking a knee in the future against Clemson when we beat them again.

I don't have a problem with scoring late. The game is 60 mins. With that said, learn how to stop a clock on a first down and don't interfere with the game when the other team is lining up to run a play. If you want to talk about "play to the whistle blows" then that argument goes for the last 4 seconds of a game too.

You don't seem to understand it the offense's job to score and the defense's job to stop them...regardless of score and time. Your frustration with the loss doesn't remove the responsibility from the players and the coaches.

It's not he doesn't understand, he just doesn't agree, and neither do I.

Bullshit.

I heard Dabo didn't want to kick the extra point so the score could be 55 in honor of the dueling five-peats.

Listen guys and gals, you saw the closing of the gap last night. That's the takeaway in my opinion. Who cares what Dabo does with his team.

I'm sure the five bomb pictures with kids were in the front of his mind.

Dabo has it right unfortunately. He pads stats to use as motivation for recruits and to appease his current players. He wants Etienne to get his TDs and Lawrence to get his passing yards and TDs for future Heisman consideration.
When have you ever seen Dabo in a post game interview that he doesn't talk about "firsts" as Spurrier did?
I just want Muschamp to have the same philosophy.

Stay sore about it if you want too. It just makes you look soft and petty. I just hope the people who count will be men and let it be motivation to fight back harder next time.
You're wrong. It was arrogant and stupid to run another play. There was no way to impact the outcome of the game unless they turn it over. They had just mishandled an exchange. Why even take the chance unless you want to stroke your ego?

Look, Dabo knew we were depleted on defense and he took that into account by rubbing our face in it that's not the sign of an honorable coach. I just hope I live long enough to see him squirm.

You're wrong. It was arrogant and stupid to run another play. There was no way to impact the outcome of the game unless they turn it over. They had just mishandled an exchange. Why even take the chance unless you want to stroke your ego?
You’re wrong. Period. That’s just sports. Deal with it.

BS. I got pissed at Spurrier many times for calling for the knee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT