ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to a Tommy Suggs Call on 107.5

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
107,5 plays a few of these "classic calls" during the day. I don't listen to 107.5 very much but they just played the Ellis/Suggs call when we defeated Georgia in Athens in 2019.

Suggs, who is in his 237th year as color commentator isn't known for following protocol in the booth.

Todd is calling the field goal and Suggs steps all over his call by repeatedly saying the field goal was no good. Of course that makes the call sound terrible because you have 2 people trying to let the fans know what is happening or what just happened and they are talking over each other.

Color commentators are not supposed to step all over the play by play guy. Suggs repeatedly does it over and over screwing up Todd's - less than great- calls.

I'm no Ellis fan but I have to give him credit for not reaching over and shoving Suggs.

Hey, I realize there is NO danger in Ellis ever having a famous play by play call like a Larry Munson, or really anyone else that is pretty good, but there is SURE no chance for Ellis to have one if- when he gets the rare opportunity, Tommy Suggs is speaking over him trying to all of a sudden try out as play by play man in the broadcast while Todd is trying to call the play.

Forgot the fellas name that did baseball. Think he went to GT. Anyway his voice would annoy me but he was awesome when he got excited. Kiss the ring.

107,5 plays a few of these "classic calls" during the day. I don't listen to 107.5 very much but they just played the Ellis/Suggs call when we defeated Georgia in Athens in 2019.

Suggs, who is in his 237th year as color commentator isn't known for following protocol in the booth.

Todd is calling the field goal and Suggs steps all over his call by repeatedly saying the field goal was no good. Of course that makes the call sound terrible because you have 2 people trying to let the fans know what is happening or what just happened and they are talking over each other.

Color commentators are not supposed to step all over the play by play guy. Suggs repeatedly does it over and over screwing up Todd's - less than great- calls.

I'm no Ellis fan but I have to give him credit for not reaching over and shoving Suggs.

Hey, I realize there is NO danger in Ellis ever having a famous play by play call like a Larry Munson, or really anyone else that is pretty good, but there is SURE no chance for Ellis to have one if- when he gets the rare opportunity, Tommy Suggs is speaking over him trying to all of a sudden try out as play by play man in the broadcast while Todd is trying to call the play.
Not to start a fight or anything, but I kind of like those moments from Tommy. By the time I heard "no good!" Or "he missed it!" I was likely already jumping around the room and didnt hear anything they said for the next 20 seconds or so. I also kind of like how he will blurt out "no flags!" after we score on a huge play. He's just saying what Gamecock fans everywhere are thinking.

Not to start a fight or anything, but I kind of like those moments from Tommy. By the time I heard "no good!" Or "he missed it!" I was likely already jumping around the room and didnt hear anything they said for the next 20 seconds or so. I also kind of like how he will blurt out "no flags!" after we score on a huge play. He's just saying what Gamecock fans everywhere are thinking.

I don't mind something like "no flags" but I am no fan of interrupting the play by play person with what is really yelling the call out over the play by play guy.

Tommy is a color commentator paid by the media rights holder to provide a professional broadcast. It's fine to be excited, but wait 5 seconds to celebrate and let the play by play guy have the moment to tell the fans what happened. That's how you get those magical calls on occasion. I don't want them ruined by the color commentator stepping all over the PBP guy.

I liked him better in his 223rd year.

To be fair to Tommy, Todds call probably would have been ..."AHHH OHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYY. ARE YOU KIDDING MEEEEEEEEEEE????" yelling. Followed by "Are you kidding meeeeeee the other teams kicker missed Carolina WINS!" forgetting who we are playing and having no clue what the kickers name is.

To be fair to Tommy, Todds call probably would have been ..."AHHH OHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYY. ARE YOU KIDDING MEEEEEEEEEEE????" yelling. Followed by "Are you kidding meeeeeee the other teams kicker missed Carolina WINS!" forgetting who we are playing and having no clue what the kickers name is.

Yeah, but with Tommy screaming over him, you can't make out either one.

Reactions: PC31
Tommy gives a lot of $$$ and knows he can talk all over Todd because, well, he's Todd.
So Tommy will be calling games from a casket.

I remember Tommy as being one of the best quarterbacks in Gamecock history.

Reactions: PC31
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT