ADVERTISEMENT

Little scholarship question I need answered

Burninlove

Mar 28, 2013
So, if a player has graduated and is still playing for a year who has to pay for room and board and expenses etc..?
Also if a player has graduated and has a year of eligibility left and transfers to said college, where do they live and what do they pay for?

Reactions: Thigh Man
They have to enroll as a graduate student if I'm not mistaken. They are still on scholarship like undergrad.

So, if a player has graduated and is still playing for a year who has to pay for room and board and expenses etc..?
Also if a player has graduated and has a year of eligibility left and transfers to said college, where do they live and what do they pay for?

I saw your question yesterday but, did not respond to keep from interfering with any knowledgeable answer and to avoid encouraging 2 dozen half ass responses.

I do not know the answer. I have asked a similar question, a minimum of twice a year, for at least 4 or 5 years and have never received a serious response. They used to have an "Dear Abbey" thread or, whoever it was here but, never even received an "I don't know response".

My question was ... When Carolina 'places a prospect' ... i.e., Carolina places a linebacker at Georgia Military ... who pays the bill???

We might get 2 or three, "I think ..." or "They probably ..." answers. But more than likely there will be 20 ... "They should ..." responses.

Reactions: Burninlove
Thanks for your considerate answer. You remember last year when the kid from Wilson went to Greys academy the cost was $80k plus a year. Also, when these kids stay an extra year- supposedly grad school- these seem to be a cost plus scholarship benefit that goes unnoticed or unappreciated. Do these benefits and extra year come from scholarship or where?
Also, who flips the bill for these schools?

I know the numbers always work, so I I'm glad when they come here and contribute.

I think they still count in the overall 85, but thats more of a semi educated guess.

So a scholarship can go toward a grad degree as well!

This is a university decision but with schools so anxious to show high graduation rates few balk at paying for schooling if the player counts in that regard. Texas pays for players that come back years later to finish up.

Reactions: rogue cock

Both questions depend on availability of scholarships and whether the coaches chose to award it. You can stay at a school after graduating and work on a 2nd degree or post-graduate degree and continue playing, if you still have eligibility. Who pays for it depends on whether the coaches chose to continue awarding an athletic scholarship. There are only so many athletic scholarships and they are not guaranteed for a set time.

Makes me really curious with our two "grad seniors" trying to secure a 6th year. Maybe they can host a study hall.....

To participate in intercollegiate athletics the athlete must be enrolled in school. If they have graduated they can enroll in graduate school. That is how the graduate transfer rule initiated. A player who had graduated and still had eligibility wanted to transfer to another school because supposedly his former school did not have a graduate program in the field he wished to study. The NCAA granted the transfer and that opened the can of worms. After that, many players sought to transfer as graduates and as a pretense they found a major at the target school that was not offered at the former school and claimed they wanted to study in that field. It was a rouse that could not really be challenged, so now they just dropped that requirement and just let anyone transfer anywhere if they have graduated.

Makes me really curious with our two "grad seniors" trying to secure a 6th year. Maybe they can host a study hall.....

Considering how thin we've been in the secondary, the coaches will FIND them scholarships.

The six year rule is no different for Grad transfers than for other players. There has to be an injury involved that prohibits the player - who has already redshirted for a year - from playing most of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT