ADVERTISEMENT

Local TV Antenna

I ran across this a few days ago.

In one of his videos, he clearly states that there's no such thing as an digital or HDTV antenna - it's all marketing hype.

Any "analogue" antenna will do just fine. Antennas "don't care" if a signal is analog or digital - what's important is that the antenna is designed to pick up channels on the broadcast frequency.

Since the digital conversion of 2009, most tv stations have changed broadcast frequencies.

A little background.

When commercial broadcasting began in earnest right after WWII, the FCC had allocated 13 broadcast channels - 1-13, to be shared with local first responders. This didn't work out too well. Thus, in 1948, channel 1 was eliminated and allocated exclusively to first responders, and channels 2-13 exclusively to TV broadcasting.

In 1952, the FCC added the UHF band to TV - channels 14-83. Through subsequent decades, the FCC has taken away the higher number channels and reallocating them for other wireless purposes, e.g., cellular communications. The latest will reduce the TV band to channels 2-36 by the end of 2020.

Digital broadcasts on the "low VHF" band, channels 2-6, are very unreliable and very few TV stations broadcast on them (closest to Columbia is PBS for Augusta).. A good example of what many stations have done is what WBTV up in Charlotte did. They actually now broadcast on channel 23. The FCC was cognizant of many TV stations known and marketed by their original broadcast frequencies, and thus built into the digital conversion the "virtual channel (PSIP)". Basically, as part of their broadcast signal, WBTV "tells" your digital tuner to "show" their signal on channel 3, thus keeping their identity intact post-analog.

In Columbia, WOLO actually now broadcasts on channel 8, but their signal shows up on 25 for the same reason.

For most OTA TV viewers today, as long as your antenna can pick up stations broadcasting on channel 7 and above, you should be good to go. Forget the digital and HDTV antenna marketing hype.

In my Beaufort home, I have a Channelmaster 4228 antenna with a Winegard 8275 preamp. The reason for a preamp is to limit signal degradation as it travels from the antenna to your tv (or splitter in my case). The antenna is about 5.5 meters off the ground, and about 1.5 meters above the pitch of the roof. If the antenna was in the attic, it's highly unlikely I could pick up any signal from Charleston.

this might be a interest to the folks receive OTA channels.may save some aggravation.

Several Atlanta stations are scheduled to change channels later this year. You'll need to rescan after the change to get the new setup.

Yes, I remember a few years ago when WPXA, the ION affilliate in Atlanta switched broadcast frequencies, and they advised viewers to rescan due to "technical adjustments" they made. At the time, I dug, and found out what those "adjustments" were. Wish they had done a better job of explaining it.

Below is an excerpt from a Wikipedia article on the station and their broadcast frequency move:

On July 6, 2015, WPXA-TV was licensed by the FCC to shift their digital signal from channel 51 to channel 31 to allow T-Mobile US to use the adjacent channel 52 frequency for LTE data and voice services without interference, requiring a tuner re-scan for viewers to continue to receive the station; using PSIP to display WPXA-TV's virtual channel as 14 on digital television receivers.

I bought a $4 antenna combiner from Amazon. It allowed connecting my two attic boom antennas together. Now I get even more stations than before.

I don't see the listing for the one I purchased but it's one of these

most tv 's have a signal meter so experiment with placement to find the sweet spot
Just got one of those this week to try it out. Supposed to have been recently improved. Maybe because the corner isn't clipped off like the one you posted. lol. It's about the size of an album cover.
Anyway, they suggest putting it in a window, so I tried that first and it worked fine. Picked up 21 channels. Very impressed with the HD quality. Didn't really like it being in the window tho. Moved it to the back panel of a shelving unit behind some pictures near my TV. No drop in quality and again 21 channels. It appears it would work just about anywhere with the exception of directly behind the TV. Guessing all the wiring back there interfered with reception.
This is what I would advise as well. Reason being is if it doesn't work out, just send it back. Worth a shot.

Are those jailbroken firesticks illegal?

Probably not. But the problem with jail break devices is they only work for a short time before requiring reprograming. If the owner can't reprogram them the juice ain't worth the squeezing.

Probably not. But the problem with jail break devices is they only work for a short time before requiring reprograming. If the owner can't reprogram them the juice ain't worth the squeezing.

thank you. I'm cutting the cord before football season. I think I'll pass on the jailbreak firestick. I think I'm gonna go firestick and YouTube tv. It's my understanding that YouTube tv will soon be compatible with the firestick.

Didn't think Chas TV was accessible OTA south of the Broad River. A reminder that my Beaufort home is behind the National Cemetery.

How high up is your antenna (mine is about 5.5m)? Any trees blocking signals (there are high trees in the ENE portion of my yard, which occasionally weakens the Chas signals)?

What stations do you pick up from Augusta? With nighttime skip, I occasionally pick up WLTX from Cola and WJBF from Augusta.

I can't speak to this company specifically, but many of these too-good-to-be true deals may involve piracy of signal. If a company is unethical enough to steal signals, do you want them to have your credit card information?

Are those jailbroken firesticks illegal?

The sticks themselves aren't "illegal," but using the loaded apps/software to access pirated/copyright violated material is. The two big downsides with these plug-and-play stick are:

1) You have little to no control over how they work, so your access to pirate streams and content is putting your ass on the line. If you don't know what a VPN is, you probably don't need to be attempting to get free content over the net. Will the FBI knock on your door? No. But if you're regularly viewing AAA content (HBO, Disney, ESPN) you could reasonably expect a letter (eventually) from your ISP. What they choose to do is based on the ISP. Using a VPN will protect you from basic-level copyright protection.

2) These devices are constantly getting bricked by updated to firmware/etc., so the $150 you spent to get next-door Johnny to jailbreak your Firestick for life is actually just for 3 months and then you have a useless piece of plastic you can't call tech support about.

Reactions: lawcalcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT