ADVERTISEMENT

Long term NIL effects?

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
Any prognostications about the movement of advertising money toward NIL and away from other recipients? Who gets shortchanged? Less money to pro players vice college? I’m guessing there will be little impact since there is so much money in advertising budgets. Ideas?

The other is how it will affect the lives of the young sports figures.

The other is how it will affect the lives of the young sports figures.

I'm honestly curious what changes we see from "student" athletes when some of them have 6 figures to blow. Not just acting stupid and blowing money, my thought was how much less effort goes into school.

If the NCAA wasn’t that shark eating everything in the ocean back fifteen years ago this whole NIL saga could have been managed. Could have changed bylaws for profit sharing with the university athletic departments and the athletes, but NO WAY. Some schools getting caught red handed and nothing done to penalize. Now they are just being disregarded. LSU’s Will Wade told them to eat crap and they did. That set the bar real low.

Sorry, I’m glad this is happening.

Does my scholarship donation go to any scholarship recipient or is it specifically for athletes?

Does my scholarship donation go to any scholarship recipient or is it specifically for athletes?
A lot of donors will start asking this question and it will become a lot more difficult for schools to raise money for the athletic facilities arms-race.

Previously, donors are asked to give money to the athletic department for this facility or that facility. The selling point was always "this will help us compete on the recruiting trail." Whether that argument was overused or not, it's almost certain now that the #1 issue for recruits will be how much NIL money they can make at one school vs another. Many donors will conclude that giving money for a facility that may or may not influence recruits isnt nearly as impactful to recruiting as simply paying the money directly to players via NIL checks.

Reactions: king ward
If the NCAA wasn’t that shark eating everything in the ocean back fifteen years ago this whole NIL saga could have been managed. Could have changed bylaws for profit sharing with the university athletic departments and the athletes, but NO WAY. Some schools getting caught red handed and nothing done to penalize. Now they are just being disregarded. LSU’s Will Wade told them to eat crap and they did. That set the bar real low.

Sorry, I’m glad this is happening.
Eventhough I agreed with the decision, this is what started it.

Long term I think the effects will be minimal and will just kind of fade into the background. You’ll see a few student athletes on a billboard, or as a life size cutout at some random store, or in a local ad on tv. Others will get some social media following and charge a little to post products as an “influencer.”

I think the vast majority of these kids will get a reality check (not a monetary one) and realize they aren’t as marketable as they thought they were. And once the novelty wears off businesses won’t just throw money down the drain to get an athlete to promote their products.

Bahaha 😂, y'all are acting like everyone is going to use this the "correct" way. Long term effect will be major cheating at all universities. It's going to be a bidding war for pretty much every 5* recruit. A lot of 4* players will get some money. If I had the extra money, I'd buy that Delp kid this year. On top of that, grades will be changed at the high school level by teachers, coaches, and/or admins to make sure a kid doesn't miss out on money by not qualifying for college.
Ex: "Mr Math teacher, please help me out w my grades so that I can go to "x" university. I got 5,000 cash I can give you if you help." At least 1 out of every 10 teachers would accept such money.

Bahaha 😂, y'all are acting like everyone is going to use this the "correct" way. Long term effect will be major cheating at all universities. It's going to be a bidding war for pretty much every 5* recruit. A lot of 4* players will get some money. If I had the extra money, I'd buy that Delp kid this year. On top of that, grades will be changed at the high school level by teachers, coaches, and/or admins to make sure a kid doesn't miss out on money by not qualifying for college.
Ex: "Mr Math teacher, please help me out w my grades so that I can go to "x" university. I got 5,000 cash I can give you if you help." At least 1 out of every 10 teachers would accept such money.

You’re acting like major cheating doesn’t already happen at all universities. Will people use NIL to cheat? Of course. But it’s just a different vehicle down the same street.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
You’re acting like major cheating doesn’t already happen at all universities. Will people use NIL to cheat? Of course. But it’s just a different vehicle down the same street.
Money makes good people do bad things! Major cheating doesn't happen at all universities, and only a few chosen schools can get the blind eye when it comes to the NCAA. While some get in trouble for improper "study halls", etc... Now you will have kids who can't even have a checking account yet, but will have thousands and thousands of dollars to spend. On top of that, most getting the money won't be from families with great financial ideas. It's going to be a shit show no matter how you slice it.

Money used by donors to athletic department will be redirected to NIL. That’s the whole point of the expansion is to make the TV deal more lucrative because universities know the alumni donation will dry up a bit.

Money used by donors to athletic department will be redirected to NIL. That’s the whole point of the expansion is to make the TV deal more lucrative because universities know the alumni donation will dry up a bit.
That's not how it's supposed to work based on how they have it set up now, but you're right. After about 5-7yrs, the fans will most likely back out of it. So then it will be directly up to the schools to outbid another university for a kid.

I've been a donor since 1982. I was on athletic scholarship and felt I owed my entire life and career to the academic opportunity it offered me. So I felt obligated to return the favor. Nowadays, I'm having second thoughts. I don't feel the scholarship is valued by some of the athletes, although I know many minor sport athletes do appreciate it. I think football and basketball is ruining it for everyone. But if that's the way we want it, then so be it. But I can foresee an end to my support. And I feel that if some kids are going to get paid large sums of money, then they can afford to pay their own tuition. Maybe that will motivate them with respect to academics. That is, if we are even going to pretend to care about academics in the future.

Long term I think the effects will be minimal and will just kind of fade into the background. You’ll see a few student athletes on a billboard, or as a life size cutout at some random store, or in a local ad on tv. Others will get some social media following and charge a little to post products as an “influencer.”

I think the vast majority of these kids will get a reality check (not a monetary one) and realize they aren’t as marketable as they thought they were. And once the novelty wears off businesses won’t just throw money down the drain to get an athlete to promote their products.
I think most of the money the players make will be made up front. When securing the kids signature is the main focus.
Also. Since they will now be making money can we boo them for poor play?😀

What you have stated there seems credible to me and the way I believe it will work out - and the way I hope it does work out. It's obvious that, in the short term, schools are going to have a challenge on their hands getting people to donate as they have in the past. It's going to require reminding people of what NIL does and doesn't provide, and that it doesn't provide it equally to everyone, in order to influence in a different direction decisions like the one @rogue cock and @Carolina Doc have reached. Those decisions are understandable at this time but will prove problematic for schools and most of the varsity student athletes in all sports. In the end, scholarships will still need to be funded somehow.

Money makes good people do bad things! Major cheating doesn't happen at all universities, and only a few chosen schools can get the blind eye when it comes to the NCAA. While some get in trouble for improper "study halls", etc... Now you will have kids who can't even have a checking account yet, but will have thousands and thousands of dollars to spend. On top of that, most getting the money won't be from families with great financial ideas. It's going to be a shit show no matter how you slice it.
I can assure you that literal cash handshakes from boosters- the most direct/clear violation of NCAA rules- happens at damn near every major college that has any athletic aspirations. Some schools take it far enough to have the COACHES hand out the cash (anybody recall the McDonalds bags?) which is stupid and those are the ones who usually got caught. That type of blatant cheating is still illegal and enforceable (supposedly?)..

NIL will actually reduce cheating by allowing many of these boosters to legally give financial support to athletes and get tax write offs for it as advertising expenses. Legitimizing it will be to the benefit of the players, the schools and the boosters.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT