ADVERTISEMENT

Long Time Reader - Moving On

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc96#

Feb 1, 2001
I am a very long time reader (rare poster) on this site. I typically use this site to keep up with recruiting and read the articles that are not restricted to the insiders. I am writing this to let the moderators and managers of this site know that I will be finding my Gamecock fix elsewhere from now on. Here is why:

I am a huge Gamecock fan (1996 USC Graduate) and like to read about the Gamecocks at least once every day. Many years ago I used to post frequently (used to be SC96…now SC96#---lost my original username when the website changed about a decade ago). I lost interest in posting long ago given the tone of the discussion board. I can no longer support GamecockCentral.com with my daily clicks. The Fighting Gamecocks Forum (the free discussion board) is the most visible to the public. Given its attachment to rivals.com, this site is an important part of the USC Gamecocks athletics image (rightfully or wrongfully…this is the case). The inability of the moderators of this site to keep the discussion at least somewhat positive is very concerning to me as someone interested in the future of the Gamecocks.

I am all for discussion about issues pertaining to the Gamecocks and expressing concerns about what is going on. But far too many posts with headings such as “Why would any recruit commit to USC” get posted, stay on the board, and the poster is not banned. This has been going on for years. I am not saying that every post needs to be “sunshine pumping,” but posts that clearly are intended to tear down the program or have the same impact (regardless of the intent) are not what I want to read and should not be on this important platform.

My complaint is not so much with the posters. The site is free with very little oversight…so people are free to post what they want. My complaint is that OUR rivals.com site has a free discussion board with little moderation. Any visitor to this site will not leave with a positive image of our program…I argue that this was also the case during our winning seasons.

I may check back from time to time to see if things change. I would be ok if the free discussion board goes away and the discussion boards are pay-only. I would strongly consider joining. But supporting this site financially (or with my click counts) with FGF the way it is now, is not an option. This rivals.com site is important to our program and I hope things can change.

Hope everyone has a great day and GO GAMECOCKS!

When you have a free public forum like this you're going to have all sorts of posts. I think it kind of comes with the territory. But your also going to have some truly die-hard Gamecock fans like myself. I've been cheering the guys in garnet and black since the Jim Carlen era, and I suppose I'll be cheering them until I'm gone. Go Cocks! And, yes--I'm checking daily for some coaching info. The wait is driving me insane, but I realize these things take time (especially for talks with active HCs). Hope good things are coming.

Probably just fed up with all the negative posts that are allowed to float on this board. Seems like he is letting the mods know why he is leaving..
Nothing more nothing less.. Wish he would just post more and defend his team vs quitting the board.. The negative fans will always be here and find something to complain about no matter how many wins or losses we have, who the coaches are, who the players are, what plays we are running.. Period..

I see nothing with my post. About why would any recruit commit to USC right now. If you're a parent and a top recruit I'm sure you will wait to see who the new coach is.

I'm not going to go to that school because there posters are negative said no recruit ever.

The thing that nabs my ass is that he thought he'd get approval or support from some of the regulars on this Board. Not so, my friend. Better to stay and fight the closet Taters than tuck and run. My problem is, I just don't like to engage those low-lifes - in any shape or form.

HOWEVER, he does have a point about the 'non-Gamecocks' who post negative crap on this Board. The Mods could do better imo.

I am a very long time reader (rare poster) on this site. I typically use this site to keep up with recruiting and read the articles that are not restricted to the insiders. I am writing this to let the moderators and managers of this site know that I will be finding my Gamecock fix elsewhere from now on. Here is why:

I am a huge Gamecock fan (1996 USC Graduate) and like to read about the Gamecocks at least once every day. Many years ago I used to post frequently (used to be SC96…now SC96#---lost my original username when the website changed about a decade ago). I lost interest in posting long ago given the tone of the discussion board. I can no longer support GamecockCentral.com with my daily clicks. The Fighting Gamecocks Forum (the free discussion board) is the most visible to the public. Given its attachment to rivals.com, this site is an important part of the USC Gamecocks athletics image (rightfully or wrongfully…this is the case). The inability of the moderators of this site to keep the discussion at least somewhat positive is very concerning to me as someone interested in the future of the Gamecocks.

I am all for discussion about issues pertaining to the Gamecocks and expressing concerns about what is going on. But far too many posts with headings such as “Why would any recruit commit to USC” get posted, stay on the board, and the poster is not banned. This has been going on for years. I am not saying that every post needs to be “sunshine pumping,” but posts that clearly are intended to tear down the program or have the same impact (regardless of the intent) are not what I want to read and should not be on this important platform.

My complaint is not so much with the posters. The site is free with very little oversight…so people are free to post what they want. My complaint is that OUR rivals.com site has a free discussion board with little moderation. Any visitor to this site will not leave with a positive image of our program…I argue that this was also the case during our winning seasons.

I may check back from time to time to see if things change. I would be ok if the free discussion board goes away and the discussion boards are pay-only. I would strongly consider joining. But supporting this site financially (or with my click counts) with FGF the way it is now, is not an option. This rivals.com site is important to our program and I hope things can change.

I understand...

He makes a very good point about the lack of oversight on the freeboard. I come on here once or twice a day and I rarely post but I do like to see if there is any new news via FGF. I share his sentiment of The fact that not all post have to be sunshine and positive. But to let taters posing as Gamecocks or taters who admit that they are taters post negatively about our team is ridiculous. Way too much tater crap on FGF in general. Maybe they should make another board for all tater discussions. Anyway, I am not going anywhere. It's just a message board and not the most significant part of my life. I can deal with these minor inconveniences.

I would be in favor of doing away with the free board!

If a rival wanted to post crap, they would have to pay.

But I dare him to find any South Carolina board or one of the multiple boards of ANY other school that is different. There isn't one. He is wanting what does not exist.

Have you ever visited CockyTalk?

Anybody who posts negatively about a PARTICULAR recruit or a commit should be nuked.

It's okay to grumble about us taking so many two stars. It's not okay to go all negative about it in a thread about a PARTICULAR 2 star recruit.

Seems to me the OP kinda contradicted himself-he says he doesn't just want sunshine pumpers but in effect that is just what he said. I read the negative posts and don't get upset about them. Our FB pgm deserves to be criticized lately.
What I don't like is the silly 3rd grade name calling and character assassination some posters use instead of actually debating the point someone is trying to make.

So you want all posts to be censored?? Is this Russia? You do realize that if the university and the current coaching staff had listened to the fans' gripes on the direction of the program last year maybe they wouldn't be in the position they are in now.

So you want all posts to be censored?? Is this Russia? You do realize that if the university and the current coaching staff had listened to the fans' gripes on the direction of the program last year maybe they wouldn't be in the position they are in now.
Or going back to the hires of Botkin and Adams. Many were upset about those hires...since one was a HS position coach and the other was on his way out at UNC for failing to produce a half-decent DL. We have the ultimate "Friends and Family" program.

Reactions: lostcock
Or going back to the hires of Botkin and Adams. Many were upset about those hires...since one was a HS position coach and the other was on his way out at UNC for failing to produce a half-decent DL. We have the ultimate "Friends and Family" program.
How did those two slip under the radar? Someone was asleep. It seems as if that would have opened the eyes of the HC about Ward.

Not one post in 15 years and you thought you had to let us know you were leaving....heck, we didn't even know you were here....

Reactions: jerryusc
Almost everything on this board is subjective opinions. I am not going to let anyone sway my feelings and the mods will take care of those who cross their line, not ours as individuals. I have seen quite a few I would like to ban but I am sure some could say the same about me. I read....make comment...and move on. Keep your emotions in check. You really don't know who most of these people are anyway...why sweat it ?

There's always the option of emailing Shoe about your issues with the board. You don't have to post about it. It just comes across as whining.

This whole conversation would be filled with "chuckles" if we were standing in front of a bonfire cracking cold beers. I kind of agree with all of the points being made here. Then again, maybe all of the "chuckles" would be coming from my corner of the fire.

Adios! Take care. Hope you get your life together.

Adios! Its a free country! I don't always agree with what other people have to say but they have every right to say it and as much as I might disagree I will fight you for them to be heard!

If you can't take, read and consider other opinions your in for a very hard life! Why anyone would feel the need to profess they undying fandom to others in order to stop reading different opinions on a message board is just absurd!

Get over it dude.You come to this board because you like it.if you do not like it ok that's your decision not mine.I like all of the posts no matter how negative or positive they may be.Sound like a tater.

I find myself agreeing with much of your post and, in fact, I had said many of the same things as you have listed in your post; I was blasted soundly by a large percentage of those who replied to my post. Sorry to see you go. As sound thinkers like yourself leave, this site will become more and more negative and continue its downward trend. Maintain your integrity and do not let this crowd influence you to compromise your standards of rightness. There is a LOT of STINKING THINKING on this site. May the Lord Bless their souls!

Hey there,

Our free board truthfully does not support our site financially if you're concerned about that. We don't draw any substantial chunk of finances from ads, really. Our subscribers - those on The Insiders Forum and that pay a very small monthly or annual fee to read every bit of our insider content - that's where we draw income. That's how we're able to travel, do our jobs, produce content. Even the free content. FGF wouldn't exist without The Insiders Forum and our subscribers.

That's why you don't see as much of an emphasis on the free board in terms of moderation. We just don't have enough time. I do think you make fair points that it could be moderated better, and we'll have a discussion about that as a staff. But you need not be concerned about "supporting" the site with clicks and such. We appreciate you reading, we appreciate you participating in our discussion on the free board.

There are problems on every free board on the Internet with every team, I can tell you for sure. We could make this same post about any fan base on message boards in the country, and even some that are having great success right now. But I do appreciate your concerns and we'll take them under advisement. If you want to try us on The Insiders Forum you may find that a much better experience for you personally. Let me know if you have questions about that.

I will make a note to our staff to take a harder look at moderation. Readers can help us a lot, because instead of emailing us or posting - all you have to do is hit the "report" button on a post that breaks our rules and moderators will see it directly and be able to address.

and he thinks making this a pay only site is going to stop all the negativity
giphy.gif

But I dare him to find any South Carolina board or one of the multiple boards of ANY other school that is different. There isn't one. He is wanting what does not exist.
Well, the clemsux board doesnt allow Gamecocks. They'll ban you in a heartbeat....just for a user name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT