ADVERTISEMENT

Look at Orth playing this way.

No way will can he lead us against the likes of Georgia, Tenn, LSU, Missouri, Florida and the Taters. No capable QB on this roster, that can lead this team. 5-7 at best...

He walked on... He WANTED to play for us.

Nobody asked him too, he chose to.

Sometimes wanting it more makes all the difference in the world.

He's going to lead us to victory on Saturday.
No way will can he lead us against the likes of Georgia, Tenn, LSU, Missouri, Florida and the Taters. No capable QB on this roster, that can lead this team. 5-7 at best...

I think he can lead us to a few wins from that list. He isn't going to be asked to win the game for us, rather just manage the game. This past Saturday He looked comfortable throwing the ball. He made good reads with the exception of the INT. I think we can still go 8-4 this year. That would be a great year.

I think he can lead us to a few wins from that list. He isn't going to be asked to win the game for us, rather just manage the game. This past Saturday He looked comfortable throwing the ball. He made good reads with the exception of the INT. I think we can still go 8-4 this year. That would be a great year.

Give basses a break..... he won't be happy until we have 10 undefeated seasons in a row.. and even then he won't be happy unless we win every game by double digits... Perry Orth is in all likelihood going to lead us to a victory Saturday and against the other teams he listed.

Why?

Because he does want to be here
He is a competitor like Shaw and he has a higher understanding of the Offense and a greater maturity level.
You could see how the team responded to him being the QB.. if there's one thing I know, it's people.

It may be a close game but, we will win this game Saturday.

If Spurrier lets him manage games (run the ball), then we have a shot.

Last edited:
Reminds me a little of Bobby Fuller....who I thought was a fine college QB in a really tough situation. The best thing in the world that might happen is SOS to finally rely on the strength of our offense (run game/RBs and OL) and give the defense a chance. UNC sucks out loud every year and a huge part of that under Fedora is his offense hanging the defense out to dry. That happened at USC last year, and I 'd love to see a bunch of 45 plus carry games with 16-20 pass attempts and Orth scrambling for 3 or 4 when needed. That's a successful combo if the OL and run game can continue to show their worth. Go Gamecocks.

Reactions: Foxglove
I still have us 10-2. I'm not going to go away from that. Orth is the next Shaw. He will torch Georgia. They are weak in the secondary.

Reactions: IBleedUSC
Yes Georgia's secondary is not that good but we won't torch anyone until other receivers, besides Cooper, step up and that hasn't happened.

I have a few thoughts on Orth. 1st of all, he wants to play for the Gamecocks and that is worth something. But what really impressed me, was the fact that he wants to be on the field in a live game. Mitch looked hesitant and tight, while Orth looked focused and ready to go. Orth took responsibility for throwing the INT, but didn't dwell on it and let it burden him. I like his attitude. But he is not an SEC level starting QB. Kentucky has a weak secondary and that is why Orth was able to make so many completions. Orth telegraphed all of his throws, but to his credit, he was able to complete passes and move the chains. Better defenses will be all over him. He has to perform under pressure, with a pass rush and with receivers covered. Orth will not have time to find receivers this weekend. Whether Georgia has an effective defense or not, they will test him in every way. Orth will try his best, but I don't see us being able to make enough plays to stay even with Georgia. I hope I'm wrong. I'm proud of Orth's effort and I have no doubt that we will get his best effort.

Yeah I agree with that ^. I'll say this....Orth can get us through a game as a part time player. HAVE to have P. Cooper at wildcat for at least 2 solid possessions EVERY game. I would love to see Nunez RS burnt (these are the times you have to do that), and work him in a series or two every game. This is what should've been done last year with Mitch....and we definitely had more opportunities to play him than he played even though we lost leads late. Might've kept those leads if we put him in the game to hand off and run clock instead of throwing 75% of the time while up 2 TDs. So, to clarify - best case scenario for me is to use 3 guys. Defenses have to account for a little different skillset for all 3 and hopefully their personnel would be affected by who was on the field behind center.

Can't wait to see Orth with a full week of first team reps!!! Most posters don't understand how important that is, and how difficult it is to come off the bench like Orth did and play so well.

Mitch is hurt; praise Orth, but don't badmouth Mitch. He doesn't deserve it.
Nice job here. It really bothers me when people talk stink about players one here because most of them are just past teen-agers. Grown men on here should pick on someone their own age - like the coaches.

Orth was impressive, albeit against an inferior defense. This Saturday's game will tell us a lot about where we are as a team and as a program. Georgia has playmakers on the field that are better than the players we've seen in two games so far this year. How will we respond? I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Yeah I agree with that ^. I'll say this....Orth can get us through a game as a part time player. HAVE to have P. Cooper at wildcat for at least 2 solid possessions EVERY game. I would love to see Nunez RS burnt (these are the times you have to do that), and work him in a series or two every game. This is what should've been done last year with Mitch....and we definitely had more opportunities to play him than he played even though we lost leads late. Might've kept those leads if we put him in the game to hand off and run clock instead of throwing 75% of the time while up 2 TDs. So, to clarify - best case scenario for me is to use 3 guys. Defenses have to account for a little different skillset for all 3 and hopefully their personnel would be affected by who was on the field behind center.

Nunez's RS HAS ALREADY BEEN "BURNT"... Did you not see him on the field this weekend?

Reminds me a little of Bobby Fuller....who I thought was a fine college QB in a really tough situation. The best thing in the world that might happen is SOS to finally rely on the strength of our offense (run game/RBs and OL) and give the defense a chance. UNC sucks out loud every year and a huge part of that under Fedora is his offense hanging the defense out to dry. That happened at USC last year, and I 'd love to see a bunch of 45 plus carry games with 16-20 pass attempts and Orth scrambling for 3 or 4 when needed. That's a successful combo if the OL and run game can continue to show their worth. Go Gamecocks.

How exactly did our offense hang the defense out to dry last year? It was the exact opposite! Our offense gave the defense leads in the fourth quarter of almost every game-except clemzun and TAMU- and the defense BLEW IT for the whole team by crapping their pants. It had nothing to do with game management by the offense, it had nothing to do with running the ball, it had to to do with TERRIBLE DEFENSIVE PLAY. I can't just sit back and watch people post stuff in every post that is completely wrong and makes no sense... Sorry.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT