ADVERTISEMENT

Look for a quick hire

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
I would like to see a young coach take over. We always seem to want to lean towards hiring an older person. My personal pick would be Landon Powell. Great leadership and young enough to understand and relate to the players. With Tanner's guidance in the early years, Landon could turn out to be a great coach who is all Carolina and would retire from the job one day.

Reactions: masso1954
Only knock on Landon is that his resume is a little thin. With Chad having been assistant I see this search swinging more towards a known commodity.

Don't know that Tanner would 'guide' LP (I think Tanner takes a more hands-off approach; no micromanaging), and heck, if he could "guide" CCH, a more seasoned, experienced HC to any better results/consistency, then I don't see LP being better/different. Let him cut his teeth elsewhere. USC Baseball need not take a flier on an inexperienced coach again (no disrespect intended to LP).

Don't know that Tanner would 'guide' LP (I think Tanner takes a more hands-off approach; no micromanaging), and heck, if he could "guide" C
CH, a more seasoned, experienced HC to any better results/consistency, then I don't see LP being better/different. Let him cut his teeth elsewhere. USC Baseball need not take a flier on an inexperienced coach again (no disrespect intended to LP).
I think that some people think because Tanner was a genius on the field that he's still interested in staying involved with the team.

To me, I've learned that Tanner is focusing more on being an "AD" than being a baseball coach / AD. In todays big time college athletics ADs are financial and marketing genius' and stay out of the day to day operation of athletic teams.

He's move up and away from that. Like he said if he's asked his opinion he'll give an answer and let the coach make the decision.

I think Tanner learned a lesson with Holbrook. His name is now tied to Muschamp and whoever the next baseball head coach is, and that's how his time as an AD at SC will be defined.

Reactions: 92Pony and atl-cock
I would like to see a young coach take over. We always seem to want to lean towards hiring an older person. My personal pick would be Landon Powell. Great leadership and young enough to understand and relate to the players. With Tanner's guidance in the early years, Landon could turn out to be a great coach who is all Carolina and would retire from the job one day.
I think that is more of a possibility than many want to believe. I just don't see us getting near the $1,000,000+ salary that some coaches on people's boards are getting.

I agree with BatGirl's assessment. Let's hope LP gets The Citadel gig, cut his teeth in Chas for a few years, and he can then be a candidate for USC's sixth baseball coach since 1970.

Even if RT wanted to "guide" the new coach, he has far too much on his plate to spend "that much time" on a single sport..

I think that is more of a possibility than many want to believe. I just don't see us getting near the $1,000,000+ salary that some coaches on people's boards are getting.

I agree.

What I do see happening is if Tanner talks to Monte Lee that he'll get a healthy raise, and with his raise will come expectations.

I agree.

What I do see happening is if Tanner talks to Monte Lee that he'll get a healthy raise, and with his raise will come expectations.
All Monte Lee has proven so far is he can beat Holbrook but can't win at home in a regional. Been there done that

The new coach hire has to be a coach who can build chemistry with his team and recruit well that's the bottom line. They have to love the guy.

How good is the Dallas Baptist coach. I believe he interviewed for the Texas job. DB has had some success in the tournament, particularly for a small school.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

How good is the Dallas Baptist coach. I believe he interviewed for the Texas job. DB has had some success in the tournament, particularly for a small school.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95
From what little I saw them play, they can hit the ball, that was for sure.

Maybe Tanner will talk to Lee to have Clemron cough up $$$. Maybe added pressure on Lee can benefit us? Love the gamesmanship.
I was thinking the same thing. It's going to add pressure to Monte up there for sure. With the $ comes the pressure.

All Monte Lee has proven so far is he can beat Holbrook but can't win at home in a regional. Been there done that

Really? Getting that bunch of junk he inherited to a regional was a job well done. Have you looked at how bad their pitching is?

Monte Lee is one of the best coaches in the game, bank on it.

Reactions: rogue cock
Only knock on Landon is that his resume is a little thin. With Chad having been assistant I see this search swinging more towards a known commodity.

Landon does not have the experience at this point to lead a large program like ours, imo.

Really? Getting that bunch of junk he inherited to a regional was a job well done. Have you looked at how bad their pitching is?

Monte Lee is one of the best coaches in the game, bank on it.
Really?How bad their pitching is? They had a better era than Florida and about 50 less base on balls. We are or should be looking for a coach that can win atleast 1 out of 2 regionals at home especially when you are a top 8 national seed. While he may end up being a great coach, he ain't proven anything yet other than he can't win a regional at home. Why take a chance and hope when we have several proven coaches that have won at a higher level that may be interested if the money is right

LP will not be the next Head Coach. Would love to see him as an assistant, or as others have said, at another smaller university, but needs more experience. Second, I do not understand why some on here think RT will be bargain shopping for a new coach. He will find the coach he thinks is the best fit and offer him a contract commensurate with his experience and lucrative enough to get him to come. Salary will not be a deciding factor.

Well, Tanner said yesterday that the $1mm would not scare him away from the right candidate.

Lol. Tanner is in NoWay in a position to gamble again. This hire HAS to be a homerun.

Reactions: Dutch Cock
Really?How bad their pitching is? They had a better era than Florida and about 50 less base on balls. We are or should be looking for a coach that can win atleast 1 out of 2 regionals at home especially when you are a top 8 national seed. While he may end up being a great coach, he ain't proven anything yet other than he can't win a regional at home. Why take a chance and hope when we have several proven coaches that have won at a higher level that may be interested if the money is right
If you think Clemson has good pitching you're entitled to that. But they really don't.

Monte Lee will have Clemson among the best teams in the country in 2-3 years.

If you think Clemson has good pitching you're entitled to that. But they really don't.

Monte Lee will have Clemson among the best teams in the country in 2-3 years.
Best teams in the country? Please enlighten me on what that means? By the way, they did host a Regional this year! While I agree they deserved to make the tournament, hosting a Regional was TOTAL BS with how they tanked the end of the season!

Reactions: IrmoRed
Don't think we go for M. Lee. That would be like Ray having to admit (if it was a mistake) that he should have hired Lee as Head Coach instead of Chad. Just my thoughts

Don't think we go for M. Lee. That would be like Ray having to admit (if it was a mistake) that he should have hired Lee as Head Coach instead of Chad. Just my thoughts
Taking Lee is to much of a gamble for a number of reasons. And I'm not saying Lee is a bad coach. Just not the right hire at this time. Ray needs to hit a grand slam that the ENTIRE fan base will embrace! Jmo!

Last edited:
Reactions: bushmastercock
Best teams in the country? Please enlighten me on what that means? By the way, they did host a Regional this year! While I agree they deserved to make the tournament, hosting a Regional was TOTAL BS with how they tanked the end of the season!

They shouldn't have hosted a regional. I believe they outbid someone for it.

Certainly they weren't host worthy.

Im pretty sure I've been around Monte Lee on a baseball field A LOT more than most on here. My opinion isn't from afar, he's a damn good baseball coach and I HATE HE's a Clemson Tiger. I don't think he'd leave Clemson unless someone threw stupid big $ his way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT