ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead: 2020 football schedule...3 seasons in one.

JDishnell

Oct 23, 2019
We've really got a tale of 3 seasons in 2020.

The season starts of very nicely for us. Being in the SEC, you can't really ask for a softer start to the season. Seems like we have a reasonable shot of starting 4-0, opening with 3 straight home games against CCU, ECU and Mizzou before going on the road at UK. Presuming, of course, our offense takes some steps forward with a competent OC and Hilinksi with better coaching, better health and a year of experience. I know after going 4-8 this season we can't assume anything, though. However, the schedule lays nicely for us to get off to a solid start and build some confidence.

On the flip side, as nicely as it sets up to start, the home stretch is absolutely brutal, with 3 games in 4 weeks against likely/probable top 10 teams/playoff contenders to close the season (UGA, LSU, Clemson). We play the reigning champion and the runner up to close the season with Wofford sandwiched in between. That's just a darn bad luck draw.

Then you've got the middle 4 games. It's gonna be those middle 4 games that decide our fate, in my opinion (UF, UT, A&M, Vandy).

Jeff Grantz told me a few years ago, until I see them play, I have no opinion worth sharing.

Given our track record of being sold false securities & perceived strengths in the team and personnel groups before our seasons start I won't be buying the pre-season all stars (fell for that too many times).

we certainly have a dump truck full of question marks to address including replacing an all american punter.

See y'all at the Spring Bowl !

Jeff Grantz told me a few years ago, until I see them play, I have no opinion worth sharing.

Given our track record of being sold false securities & perceived strengths in the team and personnel groups before our seasons start I won't be buying the pre-season all stars (fell for that too many times).

we certainly have a dump truck full of question marks to address including replacing an all american punter.

See y'all at the Spring Bowl !

Yup. Certainly no way to project at this point. But you can't ask for a more reasonable opening to the schedule.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the 4 years of Muschamp football it’s to never assume a win. We look at the schedule and think “oh sure, we easily should be 3-0, 4-0” but that doofus could likely have us 0-3, 1-3. The days of looking at the schedule and predicting wins are over for me.

Yup. Certainly no way to project at this point. But you can't ask for a more reasonable opening to the schedule.

I can ask for quite a bit, after our last dance with App St. I'm just scared to.

I'm not specifically saying your wrong, my heart is still damaged from 2019, and I would rather open with Columbia High, PC, New Berry,

Yep after getting beat by a UNC team with a new coaching staff and freshman QB I'm not calling any game a win.
I watched a long highlight video of that game yesterday. There were 4 or 5 plays if any 1 of them go our way we win. Horn missing on that INT that went right thru his hands was the big 1.

Reactions: uscalumni
If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the 4 years of Muschamp football it’s to never assume a win. We look at the schedule and think “oh sure, we easily should be 3-0, 4-0” but that doofus could likely have us 0-3, 1-3. The days of looking at the schedule and predicting wins are over for me.

This, and I lived most of my life thinking I had a clue about our football team, or at least felt like I had a sense of the teams identity and even with minimal talent who would show up and deliver more times than not. At no point did I feel that last year, except for our punter, and perhaps Kinlaw, & particularly after the debacle that was game one I felt clueless.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
totally, the INTs , just wrong in multiple directions.

Honestly, I have never been so deflated as I was that day. We all thought/hoped we could be pretty decent. The pre-season consensus among fans was that if we lost to UNC, then we would have a very bad season. It was just one game, but you just felt the air getting sucked out of the room. We wait and wait and wait for football season to begin and then it felt like it was all over after the first game.

...Then you've got the middle 4 games. It's gonna be those middle 4 games that decide our fate, in my opinion (UF, UT, A&M, Vandy).
Got to win at least half of those. We ain't winning that first one. Muschamp lost his opportunity to get his foot on their throats. Probably ain't beating A&M, either. UT is a pivotal game for us.

Got to win at least half of those. We ain't winning that first one. Muschamp lost his opportunity to get his foot on their throats. Probably ain't beating A&M, either. UT is a pivotal game for us.

That A&M game is becoming our white whale. 0-6 since they joined the league. Last year and 2014 were not competitive, but we've played them fairly tight the other 4 years. Got them at WB this year. Must find a way to beat them one of these years.

Reactions: Holy City Cock
That A&M game is becoming our white whale. 0-6 since they joined the league. Last year and 2014 were not competitive, but we've played them fairly tight the other 4 years. Got them at WB this year. Must find a way to beat them one of these years.
It really needs to be this year. We need a breakthrough somewhere for this season to be significantly better than last year.

Reactions: gamecockwrestler
It really needs to be this year. We need a breakthrough somewhere for this season to be significantly better than last year.

Even this last year's game was just a 10 point contest going to the 4th quarter, but we were totally miserable on offense. It was only 10 points but it felt like a 40 point deficit with how flat our offense was. They absolutely slaughtered us on TOP...41 minutes to 18 minutes. On offense we went: punt, FG, punt, punt, end of half, punt, punt, punt, punt, downs, downs, FG. Our poor D just couldn't hang with a 41 minute time of possession...that's asking a lot of ANY D.

If we can get something figured out on offense, with the game being at WB, maybe this could be the year.

Reactions: king ward
Even this last year's game was just a 10 point contest going to the 4th quarter, but we were totally miserable on offense. It was only 10 points but it felt like a 40 point deficit with how flat our offense was. They absolutely slaughtered us on TOP...41 minutes to 18 minutes. On offense we went: punt, FG, punt, punt, end of half, punt, punt, punt, punt, downs, downs, FG. Our poor D just couldn't hang with a 41 minute time of possession...that's asking a lot of ANY D.

If we can get something figured out on offense, with the game being at WB, maybe this could be the year.
That would be a big plus. Beat them and UT and it could be a bounce-back season that everyone can feel good about. 6-6 won't do it for me. That's garbage.

That ECU game early is just the type of game we would have lost this year. I hope we've at least improved enough to stop losing to inferior talent. All the talk about our schedule last year and it wasn't even the good teams that destroyed our record. I can take losing to Florida, Bama, even the Taters because they're better than us. But losing to ASU, UT, UNC and Mizzou is what pissed me off the most. Spurrior would have won all of those.

I watched a long highlight video of that game yesterday. There were 4 or 5 plays if any 1 of them go our way we win. Horn missing on that INT that went right thru his hands was the big 1.
I hear you, but all losses, ultimately, are on the coach. We should have entered the 2019 so much better than UNC that we win even without making any of those 4 or 5 plays. Sometimes QBs have bad days, but you're still allowed to win games on those days. A good team adjusts around it. Besides, we had what should have been a comfortable lead going into the 4th quarter.

The truth is, Muschamp's self described best team since he's been here really wasn't very good.

I hear you, but all losses, ultimately, are on the coach. We should have entered the 2019 so much better than UNC that we win even without making any of those 4 or 5 plays. Sometimes QBs have bad days, but you're still allowed to win games on those days. A good team adjusts around it. Besides, we had what should have been a comfortable lead going into the 4th quarter.

The truth is, Muschamp's self described best team since he's been here really wasn't very good.

maybe we weren't clear on what they were good at

It’s hard not to be negative and I’m trying not to be. After the last two seasons I don’t have many positive feelings or thoughts about the state of the program.

I don’t count on us winning all of the “softer” games that we should win and NEED as W’s. I see us as the “soft” team and assumed W for other teams.

I am at the point where I have been excited, supportive and optimistic about the Muschamp hire. But if next season is like a 7 or less win season then I think that and worse will be the status quo for as long as the current staff is here. It’s getting to the point where it’s been long enough and we should be much better.

Last edited:

The season starts of very nicely for us. Being in the SEC, you can't really ask for a softer start to the season. Seems like we have a reasonable shot of starting 4-0, opening with 3 straight home games against CCU, ECU and Mizzou before going on the road at UK. Presuming, of course, our offense takes some steps forward with a competent OC and Hilinksi with better coaching, better health and a year of experience. I know after going 4-8 this season we can't assume anything, though. However, the schedule lays nicely for us to get off to a solid start and build some confidence.

On the flip side, as nicely as it sets up to start, the home stretch is absolutely brutal, with 3 games in 4 weeks against likely/probable top 10 teams/playoff contenders to close the season (UGA, LSU, Clemson). We play the reigning champion and the runner up to close the season with Wofford sandwiched in between. That's just a darn bad luck draw.

Then you've got the middle 4 games. It's gonna be those middle 4 games that decide our fate, in my opinion (UF, UT, A&M, Vandy).
Our fate was decided when Muschamp was retained

Nice road trips

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Honestly, I have never been so deflated as I was that day. We all thought/hoped we could be pretty decent. The pre-season consensus among fans was that if we lost to UNC, then we would have a very bad season. It was just one game, but you just felt the air getting sucked out of the room. We wait and wait and wait for football season to begin and then it felt like it was all over after the first game.

At the half I told my father in law “uh oh we are in trouble I’m afraid. We look bad on both sides of the ball and we are being out played. I don’t care what the score says right now.” He laughed until the 4th and then a look of horror came over his face. I wasn’t surprised considering we were mopped in the game prior to that. UVA was my last straw with this staff.

Reactions: uscalumni
It seems to be that way for men's basketball too.

Anemic offense and playing conservative with a lead has been our downfall throughout the Muschamp era. Will it change next year? We shall see.
This a thousand times over. Muschamp goes around his elbow, down the block, and across the country and back, to do everything he can to keep the opponent in the game. There have been soooo many games where one more score would have taken the wind out of the opponent's sails. However, we fear the turnover and go even further conservative and ultimately three and out, which pumps the opponent up and they score. Then we are hanging on while the opponent is itching to get the ball and the win. Some of the best football we play is in the fourth quarter, after we finally fall behind, and abandon the gameplan, and just go for broke, turnovers or not. As mentioned earlier, Spurrier would go for the jugular and win far more games than he lost, by risking the turnover, and not sitting on a lead.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I really, really believe that we will have the talent on offense to score 35-38 points a game. The defensive line should be stacked. But I'm not sure about the LBs and DBs. Time will tell.

I really, really believe that we will have the talent on offense to score 35-38 points a game. The defensive line should be stacked. But I'm not sure about the LBs and DBs. Time will tell.
Who at WR? Shi and ?????

I really really hope you are correct.. BUT... the most points we scored in a game this year was 27.. (excluding Charleston southern) I have serious doubts of scoring anywhere near that. Hell the final 3 games COMBINED we scored a whopping 24

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT