ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the Gator Bowl for us

This is great for SC. Notre Dame is beatable, but no downer if you lose but play a good game. Playing with the big boys like ND is good for SC and recruiting optics. far better than a predictable win over nobody Illinois.
And get this, the Gator Bowl will be hosting the same two teams that beat Clemson this year.

Last edited:
This is great for SC. Notre Dame is beatable, but no downer if you lose but play a good game. Playing with the big boys like ND is good for SC and recruiting optics. far better than a predictable win over nobody Illinois.
Notre Dames starting QB has also hit the portal. Big opportunity for USC.

Reactions: bayrooster
The last time South Carolina played Norte Dame, Jerry Faust was the Irish football coach. I remember that being a controversial hire, since Faust came from a high school before going to Norte Dame.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Ray Tanner probably won’t get enough credit for pushing the SEC to take USC in Jacksonville. There was a push to send us back to Tampa behind the scenes to appease other schools. Luckily we got what we wanted this time. Helped we finished strong too.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
This is an incredible opportunity, ND is like the Cowboys, no matter what their record is or who the play, almost everyone looks at how they did

Heard from a reliable source that we are going to the Gator to play Notre Dame. FWIW but this person is connected.
Happy, not happy. Love the match up. Not loving Jax. I mean we are staples in Tampa and I have a place in Clearwater, so from a purely selfish point of view and weather point of view, I rather be in Tampa.

That game was over before I got to my seat in the upper deck.
That 1987 team was one of my all time favorites. Maybe my favorite ever. First year I got to see a game in person. That team could beat anyone. Never saw them getting handled like that.

As much as l loved Joe Mo, there were some head scratching losses. Probably mostly due to not having a backup QB and having to stick with Todd Ellis no matter what. We must have made an agreement not to even try to have another QB if he signed here.

That 1987 team was one of my all time favorites. Maybe my favorite ever. First year I got to see a game in person. That team could beat anyone. Never saw them getting handled like that.

As much as l loved Joe Mo, there were some head scratching losses. Probably mostly due to not having a backup QB and having to stick with Todd Ellis no matter what. We must have made an agreement not to even try to have another QB if he signed here.
I remember there were five teams on the schedule that were top 10

I remember there were five teams on the schedule that were top 10
You’re right. As an independent we would play anybody any time any day. It was common to see Florida State, Georgia, Clemson, Miami and others on the schedule. And they were all pretty damn good.

You’re right. As an independent we would play anybody any time any day. It was common to see Florida State, Georgia, Clemson, Miami and others on the schedule. And they were all pretty damn good. We
During the 1980s the common opponents was clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia and North Carolina State. The sixth most team South Carolina played during that time was East Carolina ( six times)and the seventh most was Navy (five times).

South Carolina did have four game series with Virginia Tech, Wake Forest. A three game series with Pittsburgh. Two game series with Georgia Tech, Miami, Michigan, Norte Dame, North Carolina, Southern California.

I did like the flexibility of the schedule when South Carolina was in the Independent Conference.

Last edited:
During the 1980s the common opponents was clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia and North Carolina State. The sixth most team South Carolina played during that time was East Carolina ( six times)and the seventh most was Navy (five times).

South Carolina did have four game series with Virginia Tech, Wake Forest. A three game series with Pittsburgh. Two game series with Georgia Tech, Miami, Michigan, Norte Dame, North Carolina, Southern California.

I did like the flexibility of the schedule when South Carolina was in the Independent Conference.
2 games against Nebraska in there as well.

Pretty good research. Yeah we’ve always had a good relationship with East Carolina. Used to play Duke all the time. Without looking I don’t think we’ve played them since 1991 or so when Spurrier was coaching them. NC State was an interesting rival. Our programs are so similar but there were some bad blood games in the late 80s. Va Tech was on the schedule a ton. In fact my first game was the 1987 matchup.

I know why we had to join a conference but I loved the schedule as an independent. We played a lot of great schools in the region and then went out and played some power schools outside the region like Nebraska and Southern Cal.

Reactions: bucketdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT