ADVERTISEMENT

Looming Crisis At Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week there were threads comparing the differences between Clemson and 'Carolina facilities, with many fans on both sides seeming to want to end the dispute by saying 'both have nice facilities'.

Describing facilities as 'assets' could the 'equality' argument be made again? Not honestly it couldn't be.

We may be neighbors with similar houses and otherwise visible trappings of a certain status (our campuses and athletic facilities), some of the same friends (mutual opponents), we frequent many of the same clubs (bowl games), shop in the same stores (recruiting) and are both members of the community's most 'prestigious' social club (Top 25 - although USC is 'temporarily suspended' for not paying its dues).

So, what's the 'difference', if anything? Actually, it's two things ... "liquidity and reserves". Numerically the fan-bases are approximately equal. What's unequal is the proportional value of an individual 'fan' ... basically, the law of 'averages'. Clemson has some enormously successful alumni and a 'few' extremely loyal AND generous alumni - but Clemson also suffers from an inordinately LARGE block of dumb as a brick pay their bills with sticks (firewood sellers) drink Schlitz Malt Liquor for kicks "fans" who if charged with DUI would have to do the 10-days unable to post a $500 bail. Not just tens, scores of thousands of 'em.

Both schools (wisely) borrowed and spent a few hundred million upgrading facilities while rates were so low had they been any lower the bond-issurer's would have been paying them to take the money ... THAT was smart.

What was NOT 'smart' (for Clemson) is their 'balance sheet' is pushing the envelope and all they seem to be attracting with the most successful run in that schools history are uneducated, dis-functional illiterates ... and that won't feed the monkey!!!

The DIFFERENCE in annual 'cash-flow' between the Clemson athletic programs and South Carolina's athletic programs is approximately TWENTY-FIVE MILLION DOLLARS ($25,000,000.00) ... $74 million vs. $98 million and change EVERY YEAR ... and THAT is 'prelude' to CRISIS.

IT WILL GET WORSE!!! The contributions of USC's 'Gamecock Club' already dwarf IPTAY contributions and 'reserves' continue to widen, not just from items as diverse as ticket sales and merchandise royalties but money from conference affiliations (this is a HUGE gap that will only get wider).

I realize a large number of the Clemson trolls on this board still have pimples, thus may not know the name but Clemson is VERY MUCH like Ericsson Electronics in the mid-90's. Betting on the come Ericsson threw money around ($125 million as the 'initial' named-sponsor for Panther stadium) that later evaporated, they over-hired (and over-paid) administrators (Clemson coaching salaries) ... fact is, in 1996 owning an 'Ericsson' phone was possessing the 'Cadillac' of phones ... Motorola and Nokia were WAY back in the pack, while iphones and Android's didn't even exist.

As 'Carolina's financial fortunes improve Clemson's are getting weaker, and while their influx of 'new' rooters may be good for a 'Way ta' GO!' (directed towards a TV screen) the weight of those uneducated, underemployed 'fans' will for a while be just a sea-anchor, but eventually bust loose into dropped chain and fixed-hold ... and when it does it ain't gonna be pretty.

Clemson NEEDS a 'National Championship' - that alone would help 'cure' the recurring cash-flow spread differential for at least ONE year ... but what about 'next year' ... and the year after that?

Nope - it ain't 'even'. It's not even CLOSE. We may be 'neighbors' ... with many of the same interests and friends TODAY ... but 'Carolina's children are all in school and working towards their future rewards, 'Carolina has money saved and a plan for tomorrow. Clemson?

They have a yard-full of cousins that Chevy Chase might call "Eddie" ... good people, YES!!! - but good people who dump their sewers into street-drains nonetheless.

THIS is a GREAT TIME to be a GAMECOCK!!!

Umm... You're incorrect Sir.

Despite being a smaller school with fewer alumni, Clemson's endowment exceeds South Carolinas. Remove Darla Moores commitment and the gap is ridiculously large. Clemson currently serves 23,000 students, Carolina serves 36,000.

The average starting salary of a Clemson graduate is $49,000 as compared to $37,000 for a South Carolina grad.

Where you are correct is the difference in a the athletic revenue where Carolina holds an edge due to conference earnings and student athletic fees. Clemson doesn't charge student athletic fees.

You have one advantage... Piggybacking on SEC media revenue primarily earned by the other schools in your conference. Based on television ratings, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Florida and Tennessee all pull higher average ratings than South Carolina. By the way... so does Clemson.

Clemson has multiple advantages - held up by data - over South Carolina:
1) Larger endowment with more alumni contributing despite smaller alumni base.
2) Higher national school rankings in multiple publications.
3) Higher APR since inception of measurement.
4) Higher TV ratings and brand recognition.
5) Higher avg starting salary for graduates.

These facts destroy your assertion that Clemson is hamstrung by alumni and fans who don't have disposable income. Five minutes on the internet fixes it.

I will say that for four of the five years Clemson lost in football, Carolina was the better football team. 2013 they were about equal and Clemson gagged on turnovers.

Good luck the rest of the season. See you in November.

Ratings? This year? Your games are shown in what - 3 cities? ESPN 3? If you are only taking your limited, incredibly limited viewing base, maybe a skewed stat can be driven. But your local, picked up by few stations anywhere, viewings is dwarfed by national viewers. Utter nonsense.

And we're ranked higher in some national publications as well. Kind of like your nonsensical TV stats. One can find what one wants.

For example, the average starting salary of USC Med is over $89k. Law is slightly less. Do they count? Aren't they grads as well? Business school grads are way over your numbers. Skewed.

Why are people like this even on our boards -why do they come over and why are they allowed? Anyone Can skew any stat any way they want. I thought everyone knew that.

Never saw any need to go on another's board, and would never do it after a loss. Has common decency disappeared? Count me as in the disappointed in people stat. I don't know; maybe I expect too much of people.

All this comparison of $$$ and facilities is what happens when you suspect, or know your team can't win. So, when you lose you try and hide the pain of not winning on the field and make a post like the OP did here.

I laugh............while enjoying my winning (top 12 ranking) weekend...............

Reactions: jblanken64
Actually, Kentucky just completed a HUGE football stadium renovation and they just won their first SEC road game in over 5 years.....

So maybe SEC money for facilities does eventually lead to success.

Just a thought.................

Yo
Ratings? This year? Your games are shown in what - 3 cities? ESPN 3? If you are only taking your limited, incredibly limited viewing base, maybe a skewed stat can be driven. But your local, picked up by few stations anywhere, viewings is dwarfed by national viewers. Utter nonsense.

And we're ranked higher in some national publications as well. Kind of like your nonsensical TV stats. One can find what one wants.

For example, the average starting salary of USC Med is over $89k. Law is slightly less. Do they count? Aren't they grads as well? Business school grads are way over your numbers. Skewed.

Why are people like this even on our boards -why do they come over and why are they allowed? Anyone Can skew any stat any way they want. I thought everyone knew that.

Never saw any need to go on another's board, and would never do it after a loss. Has common decency disappeared? Count me as in the disappointed in people stat. I don't know; maybe I expect too much of people.

You have pulled out some grad school salaries, which are a small percentage of the overall population, but I can accept that. Accept this... Petro Engineering grads from Clemson - UNDERGRADS - have an avg starting salary of $102k a year.

None of my numbers are skewed. TV ratings are from 2014. Endowment numbers are published and please link the publication that ranks public schools and has South Carolina ranked ahead of Clemson.

Clemson's Q rating for brand recognition on a national level are higher.

Clemson's admission standards are higher and admittance rates are lower. These stars aren't debatable.

I didn't ofer a single stat that wasn't from that categories most credible and acceptable rating source.

Please prove me otherwise with anything other than emotional denial.

I can supply links to supporty arguments and assertions from non-biased, non-Clemson sources.

Your turn.

Btw... Not here to bash South Carolina. Lived in Cola a long time and have many Gamecock friends who are gainfully employed and have all their teeth.

Just stating facts in response to original post. I'm very aware that South Carolina has dramatically improved in athletic relevance. It's an arms race.

Btw... Not here to bash South Carolina. Lived in Cola a long time and have many Gamecock friends who are gainfully employed and have all their teeth.

Just stating facts in response to original post. I'm very aware that South Carolina has dramatically improved in athletic relevance. It's an arms race.
You don't have to worry about Carolina fans having all their teeth. That's the norm for you & your buddies in taterville.

Great post #4, though.

You don't have to worry about Carolina fans having all their teeth. That's the norm for you & your buddies in taterville.

Great post #4, though.

That post was meant to be a tad ironic...

And for the record, I have made it 47 years with a full set of original choppers to go with my two degrees and generous salary.

BOTH fan bases have their share of fans from lower income areas that don't necessarily value hygiene. For one school to say the other wholly owns that distinction is disingenuous.

Not sure why a Clemson fan with 4 posts, who wasn't anywhere to be found the last 5 years, has any basis to tell me to find links for my assertions, when ( and excuse me if because of my iPhone malfunctioning) I see no links to your assertions either.
I won't bother to link either as I am not where I can do anything, even if I wanted to, which i don't. However ,
I question the ratings (clearly not in 2015) as we have national games, and most of Clemson's are regional. Sheer numbers, (which should be the point right) should go to the national game numbers. Shocked if not, but let us know by your links.
Academic rankings. Search for yourself . Someone posted our higher ranking only about 10 days ago in one ranking. Again, anyone can skew. That was my point. Is this not becoming a pattern?

I think we all know why admissions standards differ; surely we need not go into that. So, if we accept the reasoning, do we not then also admit that such alone skews the reality, which is that some of our areas are superior to yours, and vice versa? Why does that make one school better academically? I don't see it, but we'll just disagree.

Look, obviously Clemson fans have total freedom to do and say what they want on our board. Not sure why , but So be it. It's bush league for sure, but then again it is not my site and, before you say it, yes I know no one's putting a gun to my head and forcing me to be a member.

Last week there were threads comparing the differences between Clemson and 'Carolina facilities, with many fans on both sides seeming to want to end the dispute by saying 'both have nice facilities'.

Describing facilities as 'assets' could the 'equality' argument be made again? Not honestly it couldn't be.

We may be neighbors with similar houses and otherwise visible trappings of a certain status (our campuses and athletic facilities), some of the same friends (mutual opponents), we frequent many of the same clubs (bowl games), shop in the same stores (recruiting) and are both members of the community's most 'prestigious' social club (Top 25 - although USC is 'temporarily suspended' for not paying its dues).

So, what's the 'difference', if anything? Actually, it's two things ... "liquidity and reserves". Numerically the fan-bases are approximately equal. What's unequal is the proportional value of an individual 'fan' ... basically, the law of 'averages'. Clemson has some enormously successful alumni and a 'few' extremely loyal AND generous alumni - but Clemson also suffers from an inordinately LARGE block of dumb as a brick pay their bills with sticks (firewood sellers) drink Schlitz Malt Liquor for kicks "fans" who if charged with DUI would have to do the 10-days unable to post a $500 bail. Not just tens, scores of thousands of 'em.

Both schools (wisely) borrowed and spent a few hundred million upgrading facilities while rates were so low had they been any lower the bond-issurer's would have been paying them to take the money ... THAT was smart.

What was NOT 'smart' (for Clemson) is their 'balance sheet' is pushing the envelope and all they seem to be attracting with the most successful run in that schools history are uneducated, dis-functional illiterates ... and that won't feed the monkey!!!

The DIFFERENCE in annual 'cash-flow' between the Clemson athletic programs and South Carolina's athletic programs is approximately TWENTY-FIVE MILLION DOLLARS ($25,000,000.00) ... $74 million vs. $98 million and change EVERY YEAR ... and THAT is 'prelude' to CRISIS.

IT WILL GET WORSE!!! The contributions of USC's 'Gamecock Club' already dwarf IPTAY contributions and 'reserves' continue to widen, not just from items as diverse as ticket sales and merchandise royalties but money from conference affiliations (this is a HUGE gap that will only get wider).

I realize a large number of the Clemson trolls on this board still have pimples, thus may not know the name but Clemson is VERY MUCH like Ericsson Electronics in the mid-90's. Betting on the come Ericsson threw money around ($125 million as the 'initial' named-sponsor for Panther stadium) that later evaporated, they over-hired (and over-paid) administrators (Clemson coaching salaries) ... fact is, in 1996 owning an 'Ericsson' phone was possessing the 'Cadillac' of phones ... Motorola and Nokia were WAY back in the pack, while iphones and Android's didn't even exist.

As 'Carolina's financial fortunes improve Clemson's are getting weaker, and while their influx of 'new' rooters may be good for a 'Way ta' GO!' (directed towards a TV screen) the weight of those uneducated, underemployed 'fans' will for a while be just a sea-anchor, but eventually bust loose into dropped chain and fixed-hold ... and when it does it ain't gonna be pretty.

Clemson NEEDS a 'National Championship' - that alone would help 'cure' the recurring cash-flow spread differential for at least ONE year ... but what about 'next year' ... and the year after that?

Nope - it ain't 'even'. It's not even CLOSE. We may be 'neighbors' ... with many of the same interests and friends TODAY ... but 'Carolina's children are all in school and working towards their future rewards, 'Carolina has money saved and a plan for tomorrow. Clemson?

They have a yard-full of cousins that Chevy Chase might call "Eddie" ... good people, YES!!! - but good people who dump their sewers into street-drains nonetheless.

THIS is a GREAT TIME to be a GAMECOCK!!!
Dude, you really need to put the bottle down. Seriously. Clemson is on an upward trajectory and USC is not. Face the music and be a realist you MORON! We own you

This board is new to me. I hadn't heard of it until recently. As far as the five year fluke... I mean streak goes... I addressed that in my original post.

As far as links go, I can supply a pile. All of the info is in the public domain. I unaware of any publication that has South Carolina ranked ahead of Clemson, but am open to seeing it.

As far as not discussing admission standards go, why can't we? Nothing to hide here and no second shooter or wizard behind the curtain. Clemson admits have a mean GPA of 4.23, SCarolina 3.99. Both are strong schools with different missions. Clemson is a bit more exclusive. Saying otherwise is to completely ignore the data.

Again... Not here to flame, but the original poster asserting there is a looming crisis at Clemson is dead wrong.

This board is new to me. I hadn't heard of it until recently. As far as the five year fluke... I mean streak goes... I addressed that in my original post.

As far as links go, I can supply a pile. All of the info is in the public domain. I unaware of any publication that has South Carolina ranked ahead of Clemson, but am open to seeing it.

As far as not discussing admission standards go, why can't we? Nothing to hide here and no second shooter or wizard behind the curtain. Clemson admits have a mean GPA of 4.23, SCarolina 3.99. Both are strong schools with different missions. Clemson is a bit more exclusive. Saying otherwise is to completely ignore the data.

Again... Not here to flame, but the original poster asserting there is a looming crisis at Clemson is dead wrong.
You are so believable, too...I mean, questionable. You haven't heard of this board until recently? Sure! clemsux cant speak or type anything unless it's a lie. I don't believe anything from the tater klan. Nothing.

Last edited:
That post was meant to be a tad ironic...

And for the record, I have made it 47 years with a full set of original choppers to go with my two degrees and generous salary.

BOTH fan bases have their share of fans from lower income areas that don't necessarily value hygiene. For one school to say the other wholly owns that distinction is disingenuous.
Glad you have all your teeth, but you are not the norm for pickens co. I know you don't want to admit it, but that's the first step. For you to think otherwise is mendacious.

Not sure why I am doing this but here goes:
1. Tigertude, I was OK with you as you seemed like a decent guy (happens at Clemson sometimes - had 2big sisters graduate there). However, "this board was new to me. I hadn't heard of it until recently." I call that, well, BS. Would have been better to man up and admit the truth. Shame.

2. My point was "skew". Here's a college ranking for you from US News and World Report of the Word's Best Universities: Cocks come in at #262. Clemson, um, unranked. U.S. News not credible I guess. That's OK. Only the one with your President admitting he "skewed"'the rankings is the only real one I am sure. World rankings mean nada.

Not going to address admissions standards and the base points. Your 2 degrees and generous salary can figure it out.

Still disappointed that you lied rather than admit you stayed away. Yes, just my "hunch" but I

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT