ADVERTISEMENT

Lord, let Clemson crash and burn this season...

johnnohj

Jul 10, 2017
near ATL
Not sure I can take more pie in the sky gushing, like in this USA TODAY piece. What in their history leads writers to pen such gushing nonsense as this:

Clemson has arrived in every way possible: On the field, with their facilities, in their recruiting of top-level prospects. They are now one of the handful of programs that is expected to be in the mix for the College Football Playoff year in and year out no matter which players exit the roster for the NFL.

Reactions: nikolas22
To answer your question
I'm going to go out on limb and suggest it was beating Urban Meyer and Nick Saban back to back and winning a NC

Look I understand the hate, what I don't understand is being blinded by it
If you want to be bored and read my paltry posts, you'd see I'm not blinded. I just can't see them back in the final four, with the players they've lost. Maybe their depth is WAY deeper than I realized.

^^^^ I can go along with that this year, but what the article stated was that they would "be in the mix" on a consistent basis.
With their personal and facilities that is a fair assessment. You can say the same about Ohio St, FSU, SoCal. They may not make the playoff every year but they are in a position to attempt to get there

Not sure I can take more pie in the sky gushing, like in this USA TODAY piece. What in their history leads writers to pen such gushing nonsense as this:

Clemson has arrived in every way possible: On the field, with their facilities, in their recruiting of top-level prospects. They are now one of the handful of programs that is expected to be in the mix for the College Football Playoff year in and year out no matter which players exit the roster for the NFL.

Let's flip the question around then. What part of this quote do you not agree with and why?

What am I missing? That quote seems like a fair assessment of there program right now. But I do hope somehow they crash and burn.

Reactions: Brace1
I haven't read much of the college football sports news this year primarily because I didn't want to see this type of stuff. They earned the accolades unfortunately.

However I have to believe losing Watson is going to hurt. Watson was very clutch. They won a ton of close games the past two years.....games that in the past would have resulted in head-scratching losses. The question is how much is losing him going to hurt? Do they fall back to that 10-20 ranking and stay there?

We'll find out a lot in September. They play Auburn at home and Louisville and Va Tech on the road. If they coast through that unscathed, that's not a good thing. Man, how nice would it be to see them 2-3 on September 30th! Not counting on it, but I would feel much better about the world if that happened ha ha!

Reactions: Brace1
as long as they play in the ACC they will have a pretty easy path. But honestly they should have had 2 losses, NC State and Troy. I can still see the kid for Troy running down the field for a TD and the refs blowing it dead. Replay clearly showed it was fumbled and the kid grabbed it right off of a Tigers helmet then NC States missed chip shot field goal.

as long as they play in the ACC they will have a pretty easy path. But honestly they should have had 2 losses, NC State and Troy. I can still see the kid for Troy running down the field for a TD and the refs blowing it dead. Replay clearly showed it was fumbled and the kid grabbed it right off of a Tigers helmet then NC States missed chip shot field goal.

This is just ignorant or denial. The ACC was clearly the toughest conference in college football last season. In fact, Bama had the easiest road to the playoff and championship of anyone.

It's amazing how few writers mention the unbelievable fortune Clemson had in winning against Troy, Louisville, and especially NCS last year. If that kicker makes that chip shot, we wouldn't have heard anything else about Clemson for the rest of the year.

It's amazing how few writers mention the unbelievable fortune Clemson had in winning against Troy, Louisville, and especially NCS last year. If that kicker makes that chip shot, we wouldn't have heard anything else about Clemson for the rest of the year.

NC State kicker actually missed 2 FG's, and had a 3rd one blocked. Unbelievable.

Reactions: cockofdawn
yep Bama played NO ONE...
well outside of Southern Cal, Arkansas,A&M, LSU, Auburn,Miss st, Florida And Washington.. Tennessee and Ole Miss was down, but both were better than half of Clemson's opponents..

Arkansas finished 7-6.
TAMU was 8-5
LSU was 8-4 with a fired coach
Auburn was 8-5. (Also, Clemson played them as well)
Miss St was 6-7
UF was 9-4 after backing into the SEC East championship
Southern Cal was a very respectable 10-3, but they were not the same team that finished the year when they lost to Alabama.

Clemson played Ohio State in the playoff who was ranked higher than Washington.
Clemson also played Auburn so those cancel.
Florida State finished 10-3
Louisville was 9-4
Troy was 10-3
Pitt was 8-5
VT was 10-4

The ACC was 16-6 vs the SEC and Big 10 in 2016.
The ACC went 8-3 in bowls in 2016.
The SEC went 6-6 in bowls in 2016.

I repeat. Bama had an easier road to the championship than Clemson did. I am not saying it has always been this way, but in 2016 the ACC was a tougher football conference than the SEC.

POUNDING Saban?/ Maybe you need to re-watch the game..
Second half was pure domination, and fwiw Dabo is a clown. Clempsun did not panic down by three scores and moved the ball at will. Saban had no answer defensively and should have freakin called timeouts in the 4th to try anything different.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
As much as I would love nothing more than seeing Clemson just fall apart, it just isn't happening. Now they might not have last years success, mainly because they lose Watson. But the cupboards are absolutely stocked with talent over there, and if they don't get back to the playoff, they will come close.

Reactions: thisisnextyr

WHICH FOOL WROTE THIS NEAT PIECE OF CRAP?

Reactions: johnnohj
They are a powerhouse ,and if you think different, you are in denial. It is a trend .They are not a fluke. They sign 5 stars. We have an uphill climb. Will is a good hire, and we need to be patient.
I agree. They are getting the all 5 stars and wont stop until Saban retires and Dabo takes that program over. It would have happened this year until that Renfrow clown rubbed a db off on that last play, Had job.ama won, Saban retires and Dabo goes back to his dream

Reactions: BC__
NC State kicker actually missed 2 FG's, and had a 3rd one blocked. Unbelievable.
The idea that nc state should have won that game is quite delusional. Sure, they COULD have won, but SHOULD have won? Clemson turned the ball over 5 times. Two interceptions inside of nc states 10 yard line. A fluke fumble that dribbles down the sideline. One pick six if I remember. Clemson outgained state by more than 100 yards on offense . Lots of crazy stuff that day. That game had as much potential for state to be blown out as it did fir state to win.

Fate is just an NCAA wake up call away ...KKKlemsux is the only college program in history ineligible to repeat a "fake" football national championship the next year in 1982. KKKlemsuxing is on the horizon for these cheaters.

The idea that nc state should have won that game is quite delusional. Sure, they COULD have won, but SHOULD have won? Clemson turned the ball over 5 times. Two interceptions inside of nc states 10 yard line. A fluke fumble that dribbles down the sideline. One pick six if I remember. Clemson outgained state by more than 100 yards on offense . Lots of crazy stuff that day. That game had as much potential for state to be blown out as it did fir state to win.
Tater must be bored...or sheep must be laying down this weekend.

Okay thanks, but I don't really care. Obviously you do. My point was that so many people think that NC State should have won the game on a last minute FG, but the reality is that they missed 3 FG opportunities, which is unbelievable.

Arkansas finished 7-6.
TAMU was 8-5
LSU was 8-4 with a fired coach
Auburn was 8-5. (Also, Clemson played them as well)
Miss St was 6-7
UF was 9-4 after backing into the SEC East championship
Southern Cal was a very respectable 10-3, but they were not the same team that finished the year when they lost to Alabama.

Clemson played Ohio State in the playoff who was ranked higher than Washington.
Clemson also played Auburn so those cancel.
Florida State finished 10-3
Louisville was 9-4
Troy was 10-3
Pitt was 8-5
VT was 10-4

The ACC was 16-6 vs the SEC and Big 10 in 2016.
The ACC went 8-3 in bowls in 2016.
The SEC went 6-6 in bowls in 2016.

I repeat. Bama had an easier road to the championship than Clemson did. I am not saying it has always been this way, but in 2016 the ACC was a tougher football conference than the SEC.

So you're arguing toughest conference solely based on overall record? Would it not be a better argument to base it on the SOS for every team in the conference? I'd be willing to wager that the overall SOS was greater in the SEC than the ACC.

Barring injury-Clemson will be dominant on the line of scrimmage. Until Carolina improves its line of scrimmage-You might as well be whistling in the wind! Particularly on the defensive line.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT