ADVERTISEMENT

Losses Continue to Mount for Martin. 18 SEC Road Losses in a Row for Frank

ipull4usc

Mar 17, 2003
Still dead last in the SEC. This is just so hard to watch.

Matt Figger is 1-0 in SEC road games. Frank Martin is 1-19. No fun for anyone when your assistant coach has as many road wins as your head coach, who's in his 3rd year.

It doesn't really matter. Nothing this year really matters other than players getting experience. That's just how it is.

This post was edited on 1/28 9:11 PM by ReadR00ster

He ran a high / low post play fom the inbound, with the game on the line, designed to get the smallest player on the court a layup. Predictably, the shot was blocked and the game was essentially lost. Summarized the Frank Martin era in one play. The guy is running an offense and calling plays like he has a different team out there.

It could be worse: If Martin wasn't our coach, then it would probably be Tubby Smith. His Texas Tech team is losing by 50 to Oklahoma tonight.

I honestly think he could find some guys in the Strom Thurman building playing pickup games that could make a three or shot outside of five feet... Just saying. Effort and defense helps win championships. Scoring more than the other team wins games.

I honestly think he could find some guys in the Strom Thurman building playing pickup games that could make a three or shot outside of five feet... Just saying. Effort and defense helps win championships. Scoring more than the other team wins games.

Originally posted by _NOVA_:
He ran a high / low post play fom the inbound, with the game on the line, designed to get the smallest player on the court a layup. Predictably, the shot was blocked and the game was essentially lost. Summarized the Frank Martin era in one play. The guy is running an offense and calling plays like he has a different team out there.
It was a good play and would not have been blocked if Chat hadn't bounced it. If you had two inside players running it then Gray wouldn't have been defending and a big is not going to chase on the fake cut. You can blame Martin all you want but that was on execution.

Originally posted by 1vagamecock:
How does giving bad players more experience help?
I don't see any bad players, I just see a lot of role players and a few young players with the potential to be stars. We lost another close game to a 15-4 team on the road without 2 of our players. God, how terrible we must be. I told y'all it's "moral victory" year. You think I was kidding?

This post was edited on 1/28 7:20 PM by ReadR00ster

It should have been Ty Johnson in for that play. he had just scored on it, is bigger and stronger and would have had a better chance

Originally posted by USC Fact Checker:

It was a good play and would not have been blocked if Chat hadn't bounced it. If you had two inside players running it then Gray wouldn't have been defending and a big is not going to chase on the fake cut. You can blame Martin all you want but that was on execution.
This. We had run the exact same play a few minutes earlier, and it resulted in an easy lay-up. It was a perfect play call.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Johnson had been benched for that incredibly bad drive to the basket he had a few plays earlier (quite deservedly so, in my opinion). That's why he wasn't in for that play.
This post was edited on 1/28 9:24 PM by 4thgengamecock

I was DUMBfounded by that play call in this game when they blocked 200 shots.

A GOOFY play call.

It has little to do with strategy. No matter what folks say on TV, few of these coaches are geniuses. It's all about talent. The supposed geniuses have it, the supposed idiots usually dont. It's all about recruiting.

Originally posted by aj&uscgrad:
It should have been Ty Johnson in for that play. he had just scored on it, is bigger and stronger and would have had a better chance
This. He's calling plays and running an offense without thinking about who his players are and what they do well.

And LSU was crashing to the basket off that play, coming of their men. Two reasons. 1. They has seen the guards running that play. 2. There was no reason to stay with the shooters on the wings.

I don't see any star players. I do see role players- yes.

They appear to be regressing some though and that isn't good.

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:

I don't see any bad players, I just see a lot of role players and a few young players with the potential to be stars. We lost another close game to a 15-4 team on the road without 2 of our players. God, how terrible we must be. I told y'all it's "moral victory" year. You think I was kidding?

Originally posted by Rollerdude123:
I was DUMBfounded by that play call in this game when they blocked 200 shots.

A GOOFY play call.
Frank made some terrible calls in this game but that was not one of them.

Originally posted by aj&uscgrad:
This. He's calling plays and running an offense without thinking about who his players are and what they do well.

And LSU was crashing to the basket off that play, coming of their men. Two reasons. 1. They has seen the guards running that play. 2. There was no reason to stay with the shooters on the wings.
Again, the crash only came because the ball bounced. Instead of moving directly to the basket, Stroman had to gather the ball and bring it all the way up. With a taller player, the player would actually have been forced to reach lower and bring the ball up higher - it would have taken even longer and been blocked. Change it to a big and it bounces off the players knees and goes out of bounds. Bigger is not always better.

With a good pass, anyone who can make a layup would have made it.

We keep hearing that the team is improving. Well, the rest of the SEC is also improving, and they're improving at a much quicker rate than USC. Thus, any "improvement" by USC will not result in more Ws.

The rest of the SEC isn't standing around waiting for USC to catch up. Instead, while USC is improving at 1 mph, the rest of the SEC is improving at 75 mph. Unless the rest of the conference hits a speed bump and crashes, the current rate of USC's improvement is not going to cut it.

2 problems with our team right there

Originally posted by USC Fact Checker:

With a good pass, anyone who can make a layup would have made it.
Seriously. It's not about it being a good play or even a good play for the situation. Can the guy make the pass from the high post, to the low post, to a cutting guard. Nope. Can the cutting guard gather the pass and go up for the layup before the backside or front side wing player comes in for the block. Nope. Can the wing players pull their men from the basket with the threat of a pop up jumper? Nope. Had they been running similar plays, meaning the player guarding the passer would be looking to clog the passing lane and the winger defenders would be looking to crash? Yup.

Maybe fake that high low to the point guard and hit a wing guy for an open jumper. Nah.

And by the way, the reason Ty Johnson wasn't in the game at that moment wasn't because Stroman was a better player to run that play, it's because FM wanted to berate and bench Johnson for not running the proper play on the previous possession... Although God only knows what that plays was.

Originally posted by ipull4usc:
We keep hearing that the team is improving. Well, the rest of the SEC is also improving, and they're improving at a much quicker rate than USC. Thus, any "improvement" by USC will not result in more Ws.

The rest of the SEC isn't standing around waiting for USC to catch up. Instead, while USC is improving at 1 mph, the rest of the SEC is improving at 75 mph. Unless the rest of the conference hits a speed bump and crashes, the current rate of USC's improvement is not going to cut it.
Look - I could probably save you a bunch of time here.

1) The team is not going to make drastic improvements this year - so no point in sending the same message over and over again every time we lose a game.

2) You clearly have an agenda. In fact, had we won, I'm 100% positive there wouldn't even be a post from you.

3) Between #1 and #2, you should no longer have a need to post anything.

Time saved - you can thank me later.

Originally posted by Sending an SOS:

Originally posted by ipull4usc:

Look - I could probably save you a bunch of time here.

1) The team is not going to make drastic improvements this year - so no point in sending the same message over and over again every time we lose a game.

2) You clearly have an agenda. In fact, had we won, I'm 100% positive there wouldn't even be a post from you.

3) Between #1 and #2, you should no longer have a need to post anything.

Time saved - you can thank me later.
The only agenda I have is hoping South Carolina wins an NCAA Tournament game at some point in my lifetime.

Maybe we should make a list of all the guys who post the negative crap and keep it to embarrass you when we start to win. I think that will happen. Team played one of their best games tonight and we have to put up with this whining and moaning. Nobody more disappointed than me how this turned out but your attitude stinks and you know who you are.

Originally posted by sandlapper59:
Maybe we should make a list of all the guys who post the negative crap and keep it to embarrass you when we start to win. I think that will happen. Team played one of their best games tonight and we have to put up with this whining and moaning. Nobody more disappointed than me how this turned out but your attitude stinks and you know who you are.
I agree. We have one senior this year and 1 last year. Rome wasn't built in a day. Martin will turn it around.

Re: Patience of a yoda is going to be required for the basketball..

program......two years before they finally pulled the plug on the Horn debacle, I warned that he was destroying an already average program to a point where it would take 3 years for every year that he retained to climb out of that abyss....in the same way that it took so long to recover from the Brad Scott football fiasco.

Obvious it does get frustrating to have spent 15 years watching "defensive" teams whom can not shoot as well as some intramural teams on which I played in a sport where the primary objective is putting the freaking basketball in the hoop?????

But that seems to be the eternal plan which the program has decided must be taken to build a program at some point in the next couple of decades.....

Martin seems like a solid coach for the right school, but I will say that personally I believe that for the SC program after Horn it would have been better served going with the Duke Cutcliff route of going with a coach whom just wanted shooters and scoring 90 pts a game even if you lost 115 to 90....it would have generated excitement in the stands.....imagine the day that SC actually does stumble into a team whom can actually do the number #1 objective in basketball...shoot the freaking ball....the fans may leave because they do not recognize what is happening..

I just know that sadly, we certainly wasted the huge investment in the new arena...by the time this team is above 500, the arena will be obsolete.

Originally posted by 1vagamecock:
Stars? who on this team would even make the LSU team?
Well, I guess it must be embarrassing to have to comeback to win in the last minute to beat a team with no stars that doesn't even have anyone good enough to make your team. Must be more embarrassing for a top ten team to actually lose to that team.

You aren't getting it. I am saying we have a lot of role player players that will never be anything more than role players and to ever have expected more than being role players out of those guys is ridiculous. Our best players have the POTENTIAL to be star players but they are not there yet, and they are still young. They need more experience. Once they get enough, THEN we will start winning more. No body is regressing. The season is a grind, our players and team gets worn down. They still aren't used to the grind.

You must've missed it last night when the commentators talked about all of the high quality sophomores in the conference doing a great job this year that are just getting better

and the sad thing is he didn't mention any South Carolina players in that group.

The LSU one put on a show.

Originally posted by sandlapper59:

Originally posted by pepsicock:
Originally posted by AgnosticTrollCock:
Incoming wave of Martin fanatics making more excuses.
Yea we know . Gregg Marshall would be 19-0 with this team.
His record would be better than Martin's and at least have more than one road win in conference play. Remember when you said Gregg wouldn't do anything at Wichita State and he plays in a crappy league? Yeah, that's a great reminder and quote of yours.

Johnson was off, because he ran too much time off the clock before starting the play, then tried to force a shot instead of passing to Carrera on the wing for a wide open jumper. Everyone talks about how good Johnson is, but for a senior, he is brain dead. As for the final play, Storman would have caught the pass, except the defender grabbed him as he did the cut back, slowing him down. Should have been a foul right there.

***Cock Hudson blacklisted.***
This post was edited on 1/29 12:32 PM by uscbeckham

You aren't getting it. I am saying we have a lot of role player players that will never be anything more than role players and to ever have expected more than being role players out of those guys is ridiculous. Our best players have the POTENTIAL to be star players but they are not there yet, and they are still young. They need more experience. Once they get enough, THEN we will start winning more. No body is regressing. The season is a grind, our players and team gets worn down. They still aren't used to the grind.

***Cock Hudson blacklisted.***

This post was edited on 1/29 10:33 AM by uscbeckham

His record would be better than Martin's and at least have more than one road win in conference play. Remember when you said Gregg wouldn't do anything at Wichita State and he plays in a crappy league? Yeah, that's a great reminder and quote of yours.
Here is his tough schedule at WS. No wonder he can puff up 20 wins every year .

1 Newman
2 Utah
3 St Louis
4 Detroit
5 Loyola Marymount
6 Hawaii
7 George Washington
8 Drake
9 Illinois St
10 Loyola
11 Southern Illinois
12 Evansville
13 Missouri St
14 Illinois St
15 Indiana St

Remember that time you polished Marshall's knob, er shoes, at his favorite suit shop in Chucktown?

Here is his tough schedule at WS. No wonder he can puff up 20 wins every year .

1 Newman
2 Utah
3 St Louis
4 Detroit
5 Loyola Marymount
6 Hawaii
7 George Washington
8 Drake
9 Illinois St
10 Loyola
11 Southern Illinois
12 Evansville
13 Missouri St
14 Illinois St
15 Indiana St
Well last year he put up 35 wins, and swept every National Coach of the Year award. It appears that no one in America that has anything to do with college basketball agrees with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_College_Coach_of_the_Year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT