ADVERTISEMENT

Love the recruiting, but not happy...

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
with the gridiron progress. I realize the young QBs, receivers, backfield, and secondary need time. But what's the excuse for the big uglies getting pushed around like rag dolls and the horrible tackling? These two glaring problems seem to be chronic and incurable. Muschamp said he wanted the guys to show up against MSU angry and desperate. Well...from what I saw--that didn't happen! So I hope the coaches show up at practice tomorrow--pissed off and focused!

with the gridiron progress. I realize the young QBs, receivers, backfield, and secondary need time. But what's the excuse for the big uglies getting pushed around like rag dolls and the horrible tackling? These two glaring problems seem to be chronic and incurable. Muschamp said he wanted the guys to show up against MSU angry and desperate. Well...from what I saw--that didn't happen! So I hope the coaches show up at practice tomorrow--pissed off and focused!
IT'S TWO GAMES with a new coach. I know you expected a 180 degree turnaround in two games but let's be realistic.

"What's the excuse"

Um...we don't have very good players right now? I see you have been a member here 10+ years so I have to think you've been a fan long enough to see what's going on. We will struggle until we significantly improve the talent on both sides of the ball. That's not an excuse, it's a (sad) fact. I hope I saved you some hand wringing for the rest of the year. We are trotting out a squad with ECU/Kentucky level talent

"What's the excuse"

Um...we don't have very good players right now? I see you have been a member here 10+ years so I have to think you've been a fan long enough to see what's going on. We will struggle until we significantly improve the talent on both sides of the ball. That's not an excuse, it's a (sad) fact. I hope I saved you some hand wringing for the rest of the year. We are trotting out a squad with ECU/Kentucky level talent.

I appreciate your response. And I thank you. I have lowered my expectations. But I disagree with your last sentence. Going back and comparing recruiting we should have better talent than ECU/Kentucky. And I still don't understand the OL play being so poor with Elliott length of tenure. I'm with Gamecock nation, and I'm going to support Muschamp. And yes, I've been a fan for 35+ years. But the weak OL play is getting so very frustrating! Go Cocks. And again, thanks for your reply.

Reactions: coolcock2001
I'm really hoping that the OL takes ownership of their poor play after watching the game film. They have potential and hopefully getting good and pissed off will help bring it out vs ECU.

We have a pretty good sized line and there is no reason in the world why they can't get down and bull their way forward. (Especially with a good back). Except, that is, for this dink and dunk offense we're running. Same as Spurrier and absolutely horrible when you don't have the personnel. Boring as heck to watch. Unfortunately, it looks like Coach is committed to spreading the field and zone blocking. I'm old, but I long for the days when basketball was not played on the football field in South Carolina.

6 wins this year possibly 7 next year. We will be back in muschamps 3 and 4th years. Just being realistic.

Apparently, others are coming to the same realization about their program that some of our fans can't seem to accept. "A narrow win against Nicholls State might indicate that Georgia's key issue is talent, not coaching." We too have a talent gap folks. Posters who can't or won't accept this fact are in for a lot of frustration.Granted poor tackling is something coaches can help with but I'll bet you there isn't a coach on our staff who coaches players to tackle the way some of them did against MSU. They teach them the correct way and then it's up to the player to execute. Some players did not but again I'll bet they were taught the correct way.

Pretty clear that Miss. St had better players than we do right now. Most of the teams on our schedule are going to have better players than we do right now. It's called recruiting and I'm paying more attention to that the next couple of years and then see if the upgrade in talent shows on the field or not. If it doesn't then Muschamp may not be the answer.

Muschamp needs to win some and show well now. And he knows it. Everyone will say the right things about giving him time, but he doesn't have the luxury of past sucess. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

While some may have questioned Holtz and Spurrier's advanced age, there was no doubting their credentials and past head coaching success. When people said give them time, they'll figure it out, it was completely believable. Because they had done it before. They had built consistent winners.

Muschamp's previous failed stint means that as the losses mount, they'll be real questions about his acumen to game plan, game day coach, evaluate, program build, etc. Fair or unfair, he's not going to get the rope from fans and media that a first time coach or someone with a better track record would.

We're going into the third game of the Muschamp era. It will be a process. I mean for crying out loud, we won three games last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT