ADVERTISEMENT

LSU and its OC apparently parting ways

GWMorris

Dec 24, 2006
Per Baton Rouge’s newspaper, The Advocate. Matt Canada was brought in with great fanfare last year after what he did at Pittsburgh, but he and Orgeron did not see eye to eye.

No idea if he’s on Muschamp’s radar. He was paid $1.5 million at LSU. We wouldn’t match that, but I’m not sure anyone else would, either. Just tossing that out there.

I never watched an LSU game last year and thought “this offense is awesome”. With the talent in LSU I think I’ll pass on him coming here

I never watched an LSU game last year and thought “this offense is awesome”. With the talent in LSU I think I’ll pass on him coming here
They haven't had a great offense ever - at least not that I remember. They've had a few great players (OBJ, Fournette), but their offense has never lit up the scoreboard. QB issues have been in the forefront.

Although LSU used the shifts and jet sweeps that Canada favored, it didn’t seem that the up-tempo aspect was there. Not sure if the so-so QB couldn’t handle it or if Orgeron didn’t like it or there was another reason, but that was my observation.

He killed it at Pitt a couple years ago and that's not really a place known for offense. Put up, what, 40+ on Clemson last season in Death Valley?

Last season they scored 28 or more in every game and the schedule wasn't soft either. Beat two NY6 bowl participants (Clemson and Penn State), 38 against OK State, 37 against UNC (I know), 36 against VT.

Not many better options jump out at me.

The offense got better as the season wore on and the quarterback caught on to it. Canada is good.

Canada tried to put in his offense at LSU but was handcuffed a bit by the big Cajun. He is a very well thought of offensive talent. Too many head coaches go hire a coordinator and then micromanage the guy. If you are paying a guy 1.5 million, let him do his job.

Reactions: king ward
NCSU may disagree with that evaluation.
My comment was primarily addressed to the season just past, but also, I think, holds true in the overall. As for 2017, that team got better on offense as they went along, it seemed to me. They did some things to move the ball that LSU had not done before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT