ADVERTISEMENT

LSU hires Arizona's baseball coach

I can't believe they didn't go after the first base coach at Oklahoma or South Florida's coach...wait the new South Florida coach is really good lol
Kingston may turn out to be ok…but no doubt that’s the hire that we botched. Holbrook was the logical candidate. He turned out to be horrible. I don’t think many saw that coming. Big programs tried to hire him away from us when he was an assistant. And to be honest, Holbrook upgraded our talent as we had a ton of guys drafted. Holbrook was a disaster but I can’t say we botched the hire because it was the obvious choice. But after Holbrook we really needed to get back on track. I was / am hopeful Kingston works out. But when you see these programs we have to compete against land big time names it’s very discouraging and something I wonder if we’ll overcome if Kingston doesn’t get it rolling this season. His job didn’t get any easier today. It’s discouraging we couldn’t get a guy who had at least taken his program to Omaha. Kingston made the NCAA tournament twice before coming here if I am correct. Never making it to a Super Regional. It would be like Duke or UNC hiring Darrin Horn after Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer don’t work out. Still, I am hopeful because we need him to be the guy.

Last edited:
TOS had a story about Kingston figuring out this lack of offense with Stuart Lake over the summer. The fact Lake hasn’t been fired yet is worrisome to me. It’s Kingston’s job that is on the line. I’ll offer advice: Don’t swing at pitches 3 feet away and Kingston needs to be more vocal…. more engaged. I watched him just shake his head in disapproval after one of our hitters chased horrible pitches….no teaching moments or a good chewing out. It’s almost like a genuine disinterest at times!

TOS had a story about Kingston figuring out this lack of offense with Stuart Lake over the summer. The fact Lake hasn’t been fired yet is worrisome to me. It’s Kingston’s job that is on the line. I’ll offer advice: Don’t swing at pitches 3 feet away and Kingston needs to be more vocal…. more engaged. I watched him just shake his head in disapproval after one of our hitters chased horrible pitches….no teaching moments or a good chewing out. It’s almost like a genuine disinterest at times!
Sometimes I used to wonder if Holbroke was even at the ballpark. I can at least see Kingston standing there.

This...I always says baseball coaches need time but there were things this year that just screamed Holbroken II to me.

I just don't understand why we didn't change our approach to striking out on all those outside pitches. The easiest thing to do is simply move up in the batter box and yet we would simply stay in the very back of it. Never made a lick of sense.

Reactions: redrogers
Kingston may turn out to be ok…but no doubt that’s the hire that we botched. Holbrook was the logical candidate. He turned out to be horrible. I don’t think many saw that coming. Big programs tried to hire him away from us when he was an assistant. And to be honest, Holbrook upgraded our talent as we had a ton of guys drafted. Holbrook was a disaster but I can’t say we botched the hire because it was the obvious choice. But after Holbrook we really needed to get back on track. I was / am hopeful Kingston works out. But when you see these programs we have to compete against land big time names it’s very discouraging and something I wonder if we’ll overcome if Kingston doesn’t get it rolling this season. His job didn’t get any easier today. It’s discouraging we couldn’t get a guy who had at least taken his program to Omaha. Kingston made the NCAA tournament twice before coming here if I am correct. Never making it to a Super Regional. It would be like Duke or UNC hiring Darrin Horn after Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer don’t work out. Still, I am hopeful because we need him to be the guy.
Some coaches are good coaches in their level. Holbrook was a great assistant coach, but not so good as a head coach. The same can be said about Kingston...

In the college ranks, if you're a major baseball program, go go after a major coach who has coached at this level. You go after a good coach in a mid-level baseball program, you get what you paid for and Tanner is pinching pennies when it comes to hiring coaching and pour money on crapy coaches after they get here. ie Muschamp and Martin..

I would love to know how much Staley is making? I know not enough here and thank our lucky stars that she is still here.

Well, when LSU hired Mainieri I'm sure they felt like he was going to keep them on top, but I believe they only won one NC in 10 years under him, so I would say for LSU baseball that's a huge let down! My point is you have to trust in your AD in the hiring and firing and expect it to take at least 5 years, agree with the jury still being out on Kingston and Holbrooke just not measuring up as a HC, but also being a no brainer choice to take Ray's place.

Last edited:
lSU is the pinnacle for baseball coaches. I expected a splashier hire.

Kind of a head scratcher for me. JJ ain't quite Andy Lopez after all. IMO Lackluster hire given what he's done at UA....basically a .500 conference record until this year. UA doesn't hurt for talent, and he didn't walk into a program in shambles. Good coach for sure, but his track record doesn't indicate that he will be able to be at the LSU level of expectations. Pac 12 baseball is really good....but it still isn't the grinder that the SEC is.

I still can't believe Andy Cannizaro is still being left out in the cold. I understand why....but figured it would only be a year or two max away from big time baseball and he would be back in the thick of things.

Some coaches are good coaches in their level. Holbrook was a great assistant coach, but not so good as a head coach. The same can be said about Kingston...

In the college ranks, if you're a major baseball program, go go after a major coach who has coached at this level. You go after a good coach in a mid-level baseball program, you get what you paid for and Tanner is pinching pennies when it comes to hiring coaching and pour money on crapy coaches after they get here. ie Muschamp and Martin..

I would love to know how much Staley is making? I know not enough here and thank our lucky stars that she is still here.
And yet everyone wanted us to hire another mid-major coach by the name of Monte Lee. Looks like we dodged a bullet there.

Reactions: GMClemson33
From a recruiting stand point I would think LSU can get any in state kid they want, so I think you would want to hire someone that can recruit nationally, maybe they think JJ is that guy for their program, we will see!

Reactions: bucketdad
USC is the pinnacle of baseball coaches, I expected a MUCH splashier hire. Everything people claim is wrong with football as far as never being able to land a big time HC (which I still disagree with) is exactly the opposite for the Yardcox….

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
USC is the pinnacle of baseball coaches, I expected a MUCH splashier hire. Everything people claim is wrong with football as far as never being able to land a big time HC (which I still disagree with) is exactly the opposite for the Yardcox….
No we are not. Even in our heyday we were not the pinnacle of destinations for baseball coaches.

Well, when LSU hired Mainieri I'm sure they felt like he was going to keep them on top, but I believe they only won one NC in 10 years under him, so I would say for LSU baseball that's a huge let down! My point is you have to trust in your AD in the hiring and firing and expect it to take at least 5 years, agree with the jury still being out on Kingston and Holbrooke just not measuring up as a HC, but also being a no brainer choice to take Ray's place.
I’m glad you brought this up. LSU hired Laval after Bertram and didn’t wait for him to figure it out over 6 years. They’ve played for, and won titles since their GOAT retired. Us?… not so much.

I’m glad you brought this up. LSU hired Laval after Bertram and didn’t wait for him to figure it out over 6 years. They’ve played for, and won titles since their GOAT retired. Us?… not so much.
I believe there nc history is a little stronger than our probably x 3 or 4, their are just going to give a coach 4 or 5 years to build with thos kind of expectation, to me you have to give a coach at least 1 or 2 of his recruiting classes or your program will be a coaching carousel! See UT football, Heupel better turn it around and fast or they’re going to be in a world of hurt again!

You've been mad at Tanner for about 20 years now. Toman says hi.😂
For somebody that's got over 30,000 posts on a little boys message board says all I need to know. Time to get a life and stay off your computer or play station! 🤣🙄😳😏🤔

For somebody that's got over 30,000 posts on a little boys message board says all I need to know. Time to get a life and stay off your computer or play station! 🤣🙄😳😏🤔
You're just mad, mad, mad.😡😡😡

Two impressive hires by LSU with women's basketball and baseball. Their AD, Scott Woodward gets it. He went after several big name baseball coaches and landed one. Also hired a top 3 women's basketball coach.

And to think of the mid-major filled potential football coaching list of Tanner's reported on in The State. Pitiful. Tanner's hires of Holbrook, Kingston, Muschamp and Beamer also super easy hires for Carolina and far from a "reach" hire or splashy. It reeks of being conservative and lazy.

Maybe one day South Carolina will stop making these bone-headed hires. Woodward was AD at Washington and Tex A&M before being hired at LSU. Experience counts.

Two impressive hires by LSU with women's basketball and baseball. Their AD, Scott Woodward gets it. He went after several big name baseball coaches and landed one. Also hired a top 3 women's basketball coach.

And to think of the mid-major filled potential football coaching list of Tanner's reported on in The State. Pitiful. Tanner's hires of Holbrook, Kingston, Muschamp and Beamer also super easy hires for Carolina and far from a "reach" hire or splashy. It reeks of being conservative and lazy.

Maybe one day South Carolina will stop making these bone-headed hires. Woodward was AD at Washington and Tex A&M before being hired at LSU. Experience counts.
And Woodward also has a major problem on his hands with Orgeron. Everything isn't so rosy.

Maybe but my post was about his two really impressive coaching hires and how experience goes a long way from the AD in being able to make that happen for a school. Tanner is lost.
It's not that hard for LSU to make a baseball hire. It's the top job in the country. The hire was good not great anyway. We have a better basketball coach. All of that anyway is overshadowed by having a football coach who is accused of covering up a rape. Did Woodward hire him too?

It also has to do with what you're walking into, the history of the program and the recruiting base you have to work with. I would say LSU is above us in most every sport, it's just a fact! I would say we might not know which splashy coaches Ray went after, if the search was done correctly, so we'll never know who might have turned us down without an interview. I believe some on this board think we can just go out and get any coach we want, not sure we have the cachet to pull that off, again fact! We're very lucky to have Dawn and able to keep her!

Not sure if you know this, but we did go after a big time coach. He decided to stay where he is.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT