ADVERTISEMENT

LSU will play UF in Tiger Stadium 11/19

GWMorris

Dec 24, 2006
LSU AD played hardball, will buy out South Alabama and not lose a home game this year but will travel to Florida in 2017 and 2018.

Now, Ray Tanner needs to call Greg Sankey and ask how Florida get its home game returned in the future from moving a game to LSU but USC didn't.

LSU AD played hardball, will buy out South Alabama and not lose a home game this year but will travel to Florida in 2017 and 2018.

Now, Ray Tanner needs to call Greg Sankey and ask how Florida get its home game returned in the future from moving a game to LSU but USC didn't.
Because Tanner is an amateur.

Just a guess, but USC and LSU don't play every year so it couldn't be returned this year. When they roll around the next 2 times maybe it will be brought up and USC gets them twice at home.

Reactions: Tursiops
Hey, this was my choice as the most fair solution.

However, I'm not sure about LSU's AD playing "hard ball." Saddling a new coach with two successive trips to the Swamp in exchange for a home game this season seems short-sighted, IMO.

Coach O loves the outcome, no doubt.

Just a guess, but USC and LSU don't play every year so it couldn't be returned this year. When they roll around the next 2 times maybe it will be brought up and USC gets them twice at home.
I'd be shocked if they go for that. We don't have that kind of conference leverage.

Nope. The game was still a "home" game for USC, regardless of venue, and USC kept the gate revenue. So, there will be no return home game in the future. The LSU-UF situation is different because LSU will formally host this year and keep the gate whereas UF will host next year and keep the gate. Hard to pull that off in just a few days, but it can be done when you have more than a month to plan for it. Plus, LSU already sold tickets for a home game on Nov 19th. Fans will simply use those tickets to see UF instead of South Alabama.

By the way, LSU played hard ball only because all of their alternative offers were declined. They offered to play on Sunday or Monday, offered to host but give the ticket revenue to UF, and offered to move the game to a neutral NFL venue. All of those options were declined and put LSU in a situation where they were being pressured to give up a home game when it wasn't their fault the game couldn't be played on the original weekend. Joe Alleva comes out looking a tad hard-headed but I'd argue Jeremy Foley looks worse because UF created the situation in the first place by being so stubborn and self-serving.

In fact, UF wasn't motivated to play the game at all because they thought a 6-1 league record would trump UT's potential 6-2 record if they lose to Bama. They were essentially trying to back their way into the SECCG despite their head-to-head loss to the Vols. But the commish ruled that if they didn't re-schedule the game, both teams would have to take a forfeit because it otherwise wouldn't be fair to the rest of the league. Once Sankey put his foot down on that issue, suddenly UF was motivated to make concessions whereas they had previously declined all of LSU's offers.

I'm sure the SEC will discuss some ground rules on how to handle these situations in the future. USC and UGA worked it out fine without any intervention from the commish. It's sad that UF and LSU couldn't do the same.

Nope. The game was still a "home" game for USC, regardless of venue, and USC kept the gate revenue. So, there will be no return home game in the future. The LSU-UF situation is different because LSU will formally host this year and keep the gate whereas UF will host next year and keep the gate. Hard to pull that off in just a few days, but it can be done when you have more than a month to plan for it. Plus, LSU already sold tickets for a home game on Nov 19th. Fans will simply use those tickets to see UF instead of South Alabama.

By the way, LSU played hard ball only because all of their alternative offers were declined. They offered to play on Sunday or Monday, offered to host but give the ticket revenue to UF, and offered to move the game to a neutral NFL venue. All of those options were declined and put LSU in a situation where they were being pressured to give up a home game when it wasn't their fault the game couldn't be played on the original weekend. Joe Alleva comes out looking a tad hard-headed but I'd argue Jeremy Foley looks worse because UF created the situation in the first place by being so stubborn and self-serving.

In fact, UF wasn't motivated to play the game at all because they thought a 6-1 league record would trump UT's potential 6-2 record if they lose to Bama. They were essentially trying to back their way into the SECCG despite their head-to-head loss to the Vols. But the commish ruled that if they didn't re-schedule the game, both teams would have to take a forfeit because it otherwise wouldn't be fair to the rest of the league. Once Sankey put his foot down on that issue, suddenly UF was motivated to make concessions whereas they had previously declined all of LSU's offers.

I'm sure the SEC will discuss some ground rules on how to handle these situations in the future. USC and UGA worked it out fine without any intervention from the commish. It's sad that UF and LSU couldn't do the same.
IIRC we got the net gate receipts after expenses. Not a lot.

Truly believe that if Slive was still Commisioner, this game would have been played Sunday or Monday.

I called this in the previous thread with my psychic powers when the game was canceled, and was called out, told everyone LSU was playing hard ball to get stuff and the game would be 11/19.

The articles on what really happened behind the scenes make Foley and UF look really bad.

We are not getting a home game back, Tanner sold out for some small gate receipt.

giphy.gif

I called this in the previous thread with my psychic powers when the game was canceled, and was called out, told everyone LSU was playing hard ball to get stuff and the game would be 11/19.

But LSU has to play two straight seasons in the Swamp. Next year they'll have 5 SEC road games and 3 homes games. I don't see how that's such a great deal for LSU, especially with a new coach coming in. They really put him at disadvantage next season.

The articles on what really happened behind the scenes make Foley and UF look really bad.

He definitely didn't do the conference any favors. However, he did fight for UF's advantage. I think he got the better deal in the end. After all, Florida plays a "road game" this season in Jacksonville, so they still get 4 SEC games played in Florida. They didn't have to play LSU without Jack Del Rio. And they get LSU in the Swamp the next two seasons.

We are not getting a home game back, Tanner sold out for some small gate receipt.

I don't know if I would call it "sold out"...more like rolled over. But he was undermined by the "there are more important things than football" sentiment on the home front. There was minimal pressure to get this game played here. We weren't very good either, so the other teams in the conference weren't concerned whether the game was played or not (in other words, zero effect on the standings). Spurrier's pending retirement(?) probably played a factor in Tanner's decision not to fight harder. Maybe we should give RT a pass on this one.

Reactions: Gradstudent
LSU AD Joe Alleva was being a dick. He refused to accept any alternative offered by UF or by the SEC Commissioner. Foley acted like a grownup and accepted a "compromise" to allow this game to happen this year. Look carefully at the official statements released by UF AD Foley and SEC Commissioner Sankey. Both than the non-conference opponents for cooperating to make this happen. Foley thanked the SEC office, while Sankey thanked UF and Foley for negotiating. Neither mentions LSU AD Alleva, and neither thanks him or LSU for getting this game played. Some will think that LSU 'won" this pissing contest, but ther was no "winner". It was 2 adults and a brat dealing with an unfortunate situation resulting from a natural disaster.

LSU AD Joe Alleva was being a dick. He refused to accept any alternative offered by UF or by the SEC Commissioner. Foley acted like a grownup and accepted a "compromise" to allow this game to happen this year. Look carefully at the official statements released by UF AD Foley and SEC Commissioner Sankey. Both than the non-conference opponents for cooperating to make this happen. Foley thanked the SEC office, while Sankey thanked UF and Foley for negotiating. Neither mentions LSU AD Alleva, and neither thanks him or LSU for getting this game played. Some will think that LSU 'won" this pissing contest, but ther was no "winner". It was 2 adults and a brat dealing with an unfortunate situation resulting from a natural disaster.
The week the game was scheduled to be played, LSU and the SEC expressed concern about whether adjustments needed to be made. Foley insisted that it could go on as scheduled. When he finally agreed that it couldn't be played as scheduled, LSU and/or the SEC suggested moving it to Baton Rouge (as LSU did to Arizona State following Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and South Carolina did to LSU following the flooding in 2015), or moving it to Sunday (as Georgia and South Carolina did this year) or Monday (as LSU-Tennessee did after Hurricane Rita in 2005) or to a neutral site, and Foley refused all these reasonable requests.

And you think Foley acted like a grownup? Take your Gator blinders off. The game would already have been played if not for his intransigence. If Joe Alleva stuck this game where the sun doesn't shine on Foley, Foley more than deserves the discomfort.

Guess you were in the room when discussions were taking place? I thought not. Just look at what transpired and what the official statements were. That's all one needs to see what really transpired, even if some refuse to see the obvious.

Guess you were in the room when discussions were taking place? I thought not. Just look at what transpired and what the official statements were. That's all one needs to see what really transpired, even if some refuse to see the obvious.
So, you can't dispute a single fact I listed, all of which has been reported in credible media. We get it. You are mad that Foley's refusal to adjust the game time and/or location when the hurricane approached caused your school to lose two home games this year. I can understand that, but that's on Foley. Maybe your new athletic director will be less of a jackass.

LSU became the difficult one as the process lasted because Florida messed it up so bad and was so difficult, It was in response to Foley's refusing plan after plan up front and making no contingencies, the reality Foley wanted the game canceled for good.

It's water under the bridge now. Look at the bright side: buy season tickets for next year. UT, LSU, A&M, FSU (UGA is technically a home game as well). That's an amazing schedule.

One poster said Tanner 'sold out' for some 'small-time' gate receipts, another called him an 'amateur'.

This circumstance and what happened to USC are NOTHING alike.

I'm having trouble extrapolating these wild explanations posters are offering regarding what went on behind closed doors regarding the LSU/FL rescheduling when comparing them to the public information I've read - I assume they're based on telekinesis, clairvoyance or some other psychic power 'cause the numerous press releases offered by the two school's involved and SEC officials fail to mention any of this mischief ... no one said opinion is 'inside information' and the FGF is 'free' ... so I guess we get what we pay for. Most opinions usually makes some sense (the glaring exception being the non-stop cheap-shots at Tanner by the FGF's most consistent anti-Gamecock) but none of the above analysis's seem to match what's been reported by the schools or the conference.

LSU did us a favor at the last minute after Columbia flooded, the sparse crowd was a result of that 'last minute' relocation, asking them to count it as a 'home game' would have been extremely unfair when they routinely SELL OUT their 92,000+ stadium and only 41,000+ made it at 'the last minute' to watch our transplanted game. It was OUR 'problem' - we got the net-receipts, it was the best possible outcome given our circumstance and we don't play LSU again for several years.

Florida and LSU play each other EVERY YEAR, it makes perfect sense for them to schedule LSU at Florida in both '17 and '18, that's fair to both - and the 'rescheduled' game's more than a month away ... plenty of time for fans to make plans.

If anything Florida got a little of the short-end playing 11/19 ... they either had an open date (or an easy D2 game they cancelled in order to play LSU) the week before they have to play their rival, FSU.

Seems like LSU got severely shorted to me, with their UF home game this year to have roughly the same economic benefit as their scheduled cupcake, but losing their big money home game at UF next year. All for a problem that UF evidently created. On they other hand, they did gratuitously benefit from USC last year in terms of general economic activity.

Meanwhile UF effectively just postponed its LSU home game, but does lose their home cupcake gate for this year (although by their own making and they evidently had cancellation insurance). If there is any justice (1) they lose to LSU after all and (2) the insurance denies the claim because (a) LSU offered to play Sunday (which USC pulled off) and (b) they didn't actually miss the LSU game as it turned out anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT