ADVERTISEMENT

Mack Brown just got a commitment

I really, really liked the OBC. Though he bears some responsibility for recommending Chump, the ultimate responsibility lies with the hiring authority for not having credible options beyond the top two.

Reactions: Gaimcock
The immediate impact of Mack Brown is really shining more light on the shortcomings of Muschamp.

It becomes clearer by the day that Champ has had a very serendipitous career path, complements of Brown and Saban.

Mack is now worrying Clemson. Dont think they expected any serious recruiting competition regionally outside of UGA. Sad thing is that in two short years, their recruiting has left USC in the dust and with another elite recruiting school to surround the area, it just lessens the chance to get in on the quality players to even a talent gap that Muschamp just cant seem to close on.

UNC won't out recruit Clemson....Clemson is a National Brand. UNC Football is having their first good year recruiting, since when? They are starting to become a state of NC brand...before Mack, they could not sniff the top 30 in their state. They have many years of recruiting to become a national brand along with winning BIG games (not ACC games) in BIG BOWLS...

If Clemson starts not getting the top tier recruits soon, they will go back, and my guess is, start back in NC to flip some of the recruits that committed to UNC...I believe Clemson holds more weight in NC than UNC (for football)...

Mack is now worrying Clemson. Dont think they expected any serious recruiting competition regionally outside of UGA. Sad thing is that in two short years, their recruiting has left USC in the dust and with another elite recruiting school to surround the area, it just lessens the chance to get in on the quality players to even a talent gap that Muschamp just cant seem to close on.
We have recruited well enough ,we just have to win, there are no more excuses.All his players now , the most experienced OC he has ever had, if not this year when. I am still pulling for him because I freaking hate starting over.If he doesnt win he is gone by 22 for sure and it'll be on someone else.Talking is over its put up or shut up.

We have recruited well enough ,we just have to win, there are no more excuses.All his players now , the most experienced OC he has ever had, if not this year when. I am still pulling for him because I freaking hate starting over.If he doesnt win he is gone by 22 for sure and it'll be on someone else.Talking is over its put up or shut up.
I agree with all you said. In fact I thought after last year that it is clear USC is just wasting time. Mediocre at best at USC. The man couldn't win big at a recruiting mecca like UF? And I have no doubt that however this year plays out, Ray will point to the Covid issues as just throwing such a curve that we can't really base anything on this year.

As far as recruiting? No, USC hasn't recruited well enough. Every year finishing 8th, 9th in the SEC isn't going to cut it. Its all about talent. Always has been, always will be. Does USC have good talent? Yes. Does it have great talent to close the gap on the elite programs they need to beat to accomplish anything other than a lower level bowl thay nobody cares about? No. I actually wondered if maybe it was a lost cause and that USC was forever vanquished to taking the leftovers from the power players. But not too many years ago Clemsons program was in the same shape USC is now. UNC has proven that with the right guy a mediocre football programs recruiting can revive to compete with the elites. Same problem at USC in basketball.

up next....another 757 from Va. TN-cock, Mac is doing what he said he would do, dominate in-state against 4 other D1 schools, then cherry pick the region. Historically Va Beach has been good to the heels. For years all the cocks wanted was someone in the ACC to challenge Clemson, hopefully Mac can do that. Heck he was a 2 point conversion away with 2-3* guys.

https://247sports.com/Article/North...e-Wilson-top-4-football-recruiting-147734571/

They'll enjoy his shelf life. The trick is going to be finding a home run replacement, as we are learning.
I can about guarantee you that they will handle it better than the novice we have running our AD.

Look at his roster of assistants. That's the evidence right there. Mack Brown is just the "face man." They do all the heavy lifting.

Mack really loves Coaching. He loves it there and knows that's a good of a job he can have at his age. If he can squeeze 7-8 years out of it he will. Heck if this was a 40 year old guy he'd only be at UNC or a School like SC for a few years max anyways.

If he doesnt win he is gone by 22 for sure

Our recruiting is currently ranked #42 on this site and #52 on TOS. If Muschamp continues producing mediocre results on the field and we keep him for a couple of more years, do you realize how bad recruiting will be with Muschamp on the "hot seat"? If you think recruiting is bad now, you haven't seen anything yet. Our football program will be so deep in the hole you would need a drilling rig to hopefully find it. We then might as well drop the program and become clemson football fans.

Our recruiting is currently ranked #42 on this site and #52 on TOS. If Muschamp continues producing mediocre results on the field and we keep him for a couple of more years, do you realize how bad recruiting will be with Muschamp on the "hot seat"? If you think recruiting is bad now, you haven't seen anything yet. Our football program will be so deep in the hole you would need a drilling rig to hopefully find it. We then might as well drop the program and become clemson football fans.

I've never seen so many tactical and strategic mistakes by an AD. Yet, he will never be fired - unless the BOT changes dramatically.

We see the hole being dug in football, but either they don't see it or they don't care. If they don't care then sports is not about winning to them. That attitude, with a few exceptions, has always been the problem at SC.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I've never seen so many tactical and strategic mistakes by an AD. Yet, he will never be fired - unless the BOT changes dramatically.

We see the hole being dug in football, but either they don't see it or they don't care. If they don't care then sports is not about winning to them. That attitude, with a few exceptions, has always been the problem at SC.
You got my curiosity up. I checked to see who are the BOT members. I see that Chuck Allen is. I feel sure he cares. I remember reading him being pissed after we continued to lose to clemson in 2008 and said something had to be done about that. Then we beat them the next 5 seasons. I am pretty sure Dr. Eddie Floyd cares. I see that King Dixon is a member. I'm not sure what to make of that. All I can say is things have gotten bad when I'm almost willing to become a clemson football fan. Damn.

All I can say is things have gotten bad when I'm almost willing to become a clemson football fan. Damn.

My step father-in-law, a clemson grad and huge clemson football fan, did invite me to become a clemson football fan last year. I have neighbors who are big Tiger fans. I get the sense that some feel sorry for us. LOL

Reactions: agantt
You got my curiosity up. I checked to see who are the BOT members. I see that Chuck Allen is. I feel sure he cares. I remember reading him being pissed after we continued to lose to clemson in 2008 and said something had to be done about that. Then we beat them the next 5 seasons. I am pretty sure Dr. Eddie Floyd cares. I see that King Dixon is a member. I'm not sure what to make of that. All I can say is things have gotten bad when I'm almost willing to become a clemson football fan. Damn.
King Dixon is deceased. I think Alex English took his place. He and Chuck Allen care, but something happens to people when they get into positions like this and their focus shifts.

I'll never become a Clemson fan.

I have family ties to Clemson, but I grew up a Carolina fan. Starting going to games in the old stadium in the early 60s.
You and I are about the same age. I remember going to my first Carolina game with my pee wee football team to watch us play Tulane who had previously been winless going back to the prior season. We lost. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I believe that was in November 1963, about the time of JFK's assassination. It would be nice to have a nationally respected football program to enjoy long before I die. But looking at the state of our football program and the leadership at USC, I don't expect it.

Last edited:
Because no one thinks Muschamp will be here after next year. He's a lame duck coach. At least that's the negative recruiting angle out there right now.
Because he shouldn't be here this year. Another catastrophic mistake that you mentioned by our AD. Giving that ridiculous buyout and extension should have gotten him fired.

I can about guarantee you that they will handle it better than the novice we have running our AD.

Look at his roster of assistants. That's the evidence right there. Mack Brown is just the "face man." They do all the heavy lifting.
The thing is, he got them together. And getting the right people together is what makes it happen.

The thing is, he got them together. And getting the right people together is what makes it happen.
It isn't that hard really. Yet, we have had staff issues off and on for decades. We get it right for a time and then do something bone-headed. I'm looking at you Lorenzo.

It starts with the right HC hire and then the coordinators. Get those right and chances are the rest will fall into place. That's why young coaches like Fleck. Littrell, Campbell, Franklin are successful. It is why Dabo and Coach O have been successful. Look at their staffs.

Reactions: king ward
It isn't that hard really. Yet, we have had staff issues off and on for decades. We get it right for a time and then do something bone-headed. I'm looking at you Lorenzo.

It starts with the right HC hire and then the coordinators. Get those right and chances are the rest will fall into place. That's why young coaches like Fleck. Littrell, Campbell, Franklin are successful. It is why Dabo and Coach O have been successful. Look at their staffs.
Everyone of those coaches you mentioned have offensive backgrounds, except Coach O. And he eventually adjusted from a defensive mentality to that of a Head Coach who does not worry about his offense protecting his defense. Muschamp, on the other hand, does not want to have an offense that scores too fast and thus tire out his defense. He may say he wants a wide open offense. But, words are cheap. Recruits see his boring, conservative style that is no fun to play in. That's one big reason we have difficulty in attracting recruits these days.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Everyone of those coaches you mentioned have offensive backgrounds, except Coach O. And he eventually adjusted from a defensive mentality to that of a Head Coach who does not worry about his offense protecting his defense. Muschamp, on the other hand, does not want to have an offense that scores too fast and thus tire out his defense. He may say he wants a wide open offense. But, words are cheap. Recruits see his boring, conservative style that is no fun to play in. That's one big reason we have difficulty in attracting recruits these days.
Yesterday I watched as much of the replay of last years Alabama game as I could stomach. How many drives ended up with no points or just a field goal. Whatever happened as we neared the goal line is unacceptable. Yes, Alabama should be credited with stopping us. That’s what they do. But, failing to get a TD or even a field goal just before the end of the first half....well let’s just say that the head coach gets paid to make correct decisions. He has overrule authority. Never reviewed the Dowdle run that could possibly have resulted in a TD. We start the second half with a drive that again fizzled out as we neared the goal line.
Muschamp does not seem to have what it takes to be successful as a head coach. If he can’t recruit at the level of the coaches he competes against he will not consistently out coach them.

How in the world, with all the good, young and proven Head Coaches in the nation at the time (and there always are some), Will Muschamp was number 3 on Tanner's list, is a head scratcher. Someone who failed in his only previous Head Coaching job, should not be in the Top 10 of such a list, much less number 3. That hire will go down as one of the most bone headed moves in Gamecock history.

Reactions: drawplay000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT