ADVERTISEMENT

Mack Brown takes another one from us

andersoncountycock

Nov 12, 2019
Myrtle Beach WR JJ Jones had set 6:00 PM Friday night to announce his college commitment. Apparently he decided there was no reason to wait. At 10:00 PM Thursday night Jones announced he had committed to North Carolina. He picked the Tar Heels over USC and Georgia.

JJ Jones said "It was one of those things that you just feel deep down in your heart that it’s the right place"

Losing to them didn’t help us any, but I’m not sure he wouldn’t still be taking them from us. Mack was going to get some recruits...we knew that. It’ll be interesting to see if they can sustain some success. I’m not sure he can overcome a down year at this point in his coaching career.

I’d rather have him that Muschamp, but I really don’t want either as our HC. But sadly, I’m not sure what the answer is. Just praying we’ll get lucky and strike gold with the right unproven person someday. I don’t see us getting much more anytime soon.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
Recruiting battles like this is why losing is the only sanction that lasts. We all know Muschamp does not lose recruits due to a lack of effort. We just don't win enough games to get that recruiting swag in our program.
I agree with this. I think Muschamp works hard. He ain't Spurrier senior or junior when it comes to effort. Over a 10-year period, our performance is better than theirs. But the hoss they've got now is better than the hoss we've got. And he's going to be better unless he has a stroke or something.

Recruiting battles like this is why losing is the only sanction that lasts. We all know Muschamp does not lose recruits due to a lack of effort. We just don't win enough games to get that recruiting swag in our program.

. . and UNcarolina has been a big winner for years, right? Wrong. Mack Brown is racking up the recruits because he knows what he's doing, and he's smart enough to avoid any questions about how long he'll be coaching.

. . and UNcarolina has been a big winner for years, right? Wrong. Mack Brown is racking up the recruits because he knows what he's doing, and he's smart enough to avoid any questions about how long he'll be coaching.
He also has talked up wanting an explosive offense and made strides to accomplish this. Even at Texas he wanted the fast attack and that is going to entice players. Muschamp just doesn’t have anything to sell players on based on his history. How many different OCs has he had with the same pathetic results over and over.

Brown also doesn’t care to really coach anymore. He’s happy just being a CEO at this point. He wants to talk to recruits and be the buddy and let’s the guys he hires do their job.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Anyone that doesn't see that this is directly linked to our 4-8 season is either hopelessly optimistic or willfully blind.

We did offer pretty late which was strange given the fact the staff had watched so much film on Doty for so long, starting a long time ago, I wish he committed here but its been known for sometime he was going to UNC, I'm not sure the staff recruited him that hard, could of been something to do with it besides 4-8.

But Ive been called Blind many times before

giphy.gif

Reactions: Legendary Cock
We did offer pretty late which was strange given the fact the staff had watched so much film on Doty for so long, starting a long time ago, I wish he committed here but its been known for sometime he was going to UNC, I'm not sure the staff recruited him that hard, could of been something to do with it besides 4-8.

But Ive been called Blind many times before

giphy.gif
I was really referring to our how overall lackluster our recruiting is so far for the next class. I know it's May. But we're not even in the top 50 in 24/7. That's pretty bad.

But Muschamp has painted (coached) himself into a corner with 8 years worth of poor results and recruits are paying attention.

It feels like he will have to win at least 7-8 games this season to even land a top 25 class.

I was really referring to our how overall lackluster our recruiting is so far for the next class. I know it's May. But we're not even in the top 50 in 24/7. That's pretty bad.

But Muschamp has painted (coached) himself into a corner with 8 years worth of poor results and recruits are paying attention.

It feels like he will have to win at least 7-8 games this season to even land a top 25 class.
The problem is he proved at Florida he couldn’t win with top 5 classes so top 25 results should be spectacular for the rest of the SEC.

Losing to them didn’t help us any, but I’m not sure he wouldn’t still be taking them from us. Mack was going to get some recruits...we knew that. It’ll be interesting to see if they can sustain some success. I’m not sure he can overcome a down year at this point in his coaching career.

I’d rather have him that Muschamp, but I really don’t want either as our HC. But sadly, I’m not sure what the answer is. Just praying we’ll get lucky and strike gold with the right unproven person someday. I don’t see us getting much more anytime soon.
Muschamp was "Head Coach in Waiting" under Mack at Texas. I wondered how long the Longhorns would have put up with him if he had stayed and got the job.

It is what it is. We are struggling at the WR position. This could be the first year that we won’t have a stud WR. I like Shi Smith but that’s all we have. I would be shocked if we go 5-7 at best.

I don't believe the Heels have won any championships lately

New staff has a luster about them. Recruiting promises are easier to sell without prior results getting in the way. There’s a small window upon a new staffs arrival to make hay. You think UNC would’ve had that good a chance in the SEC?
Dawn shows you must have talent to win big. Until we recruit big, we won’t win big in football. And especially with Muschamp coaching.

There is a reason we offered so late. He didn’t bring much to the table we don’t already have on the roster.

Please. Another let me stick my head where the sun don't shine guy. "The ship is sinking and all is well". UNC is running the table recruiting wise and wanted him. Georgia wanted him. Exactly what about a 4 win team would you say makes them say they don't need him? Exactly who are all of these generational talents USC has returning to where they just decide not to need someone that two schools recruiting with the top programs in the nation seem to think would be an asset?

New staff has a luster about them. Recruiting promises are easier to sell without prior results getting in the way. There’s a small window upon a new staffs arrival to make hay. You think UNC would’ve had that good a chance in the SEC?
Dawn shows you must have talent to win big. Until we recruit big, we won’t win big in football. And especially with Muschamp coaching.

Dawn shows you first and foremost what a great coach can do. Turnaround ragged programs and bring in great talent. WM does not measure up.

I don't believe the Heels have won any championships lately
No, but there is excitement around the UNC program because they dont yet know what the program's potential is under Brown. Maybe they can win a title, maybe not. In our case, on the other hand, we have a pretty solid understanding of our program's potential under Muschamp, and it doesnt include any titles. Heck, it doesnt even include beating our rival occasionally.

Sad to say as a Gamecock fan, but if you were a can't-miss prospect in HS, why would you consider coming here right now? We're landlocked by UGA and UNC's recent success and the school up the road has been to 4 of the last 5 championships (winning 2). As a fan, I think this is the least I've looked forward to a season since pre-Lou.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT