ADVERTISEMENT

Mack Brown takes another one from us

Sad to say as a Gamecock fan, but if you were a can't-miss prospect in HS, why would you consider coming here right now? We're landlocked by UGA and UNC's recent success and the school up the road has been to 4 of the last 5 championships (winning 2). As a fan, I think this is the least I've looked forward to a season since pre-Lou.
Hard to argue with that logic unfortunately

Hard to argue with that logic unfortunately
We did beat Georgia this year and with a competent play caller that UNC game was over... When did 6 wins become so successful... JS.. Right now athletically we are ahead of UNC, and with a play caller last year, I think we would have beaten Florida and TN. Hell Florida won ten or eleven games last year and we were handing them their ass. I'm excited more this year than last year by a mile, mostly because I know we can compete with anybody with a good play caller.JMO

We did beat Georgia this year and with a competent play caller that UNC game was over... When did 6 wins become so successful... JS.. Right now athletically we are ahead of UNC, and with a play caller last year, I think we would have beaten Florida and TN. Hell Florida won ten or eleven games last year and we were handing them their ass. I'm excited more this year than last year by a mile, mostly because I know we can compete with anybody with a good play caller.JMO

Our biggest problem last year was halftime adjustments. Other teams make them, we did not, we win the first half and they win the game.

Hope you are right. The problem is, we went down the stretch leaking oil every week You have to finish, and we did not.

Expro you and I share similar views about the virus, but your excitement about WM and this year leave me scratching my head. With WM we are dead in arrival.

**Sorry for the long post**

I agree with you that we're more athletic than UNC right now. That makes the loss last season look worse. Here's the really bad news. I live in Charlotte (arguably the football hotbed of NC) and work in the high school sports arena. Mack is selling the promise of UNC hard!! Players they would not have gotten in the last 15-20 years are now believing that Chapel Hill will be the location of the next football dynasty. Even offering players with above-average basketball skills the chance to play ball for him and Roy while in school. Think about all those players from NC that we thought we'd get for this last signing class that chose the TarHeels. That's just the start. And, of course, the parents are sold on this and the Chapel Hill education (no one up here acknowledges the scandal from a few years ago).

And, like many have said here, Mack is simply the CEO and face of UNC Football. He has a coaching staff built to recruit. They know how to get the attention of top talent, secure them, and coach them a little further. All the way from his coordinators to his two personal advisors.

God knows I would love to see us have an extremely successful season. And especially more successful than Chapel Hill so we can get our foot back in the door up here. I just don't see it happening with Muschamp.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Expro you and I share similar views about the virus, but your excitement about WM and this year leave me scratching my head. With WM we are dead in arrival.
I'm always excited for football. Every year is a new year.. I'm hoping Bobo can get it done and WM turns into Ed O... It took Ed O. A few stops to figure it out, I'm hoping it happens with us.. If nothing changes this year, which I think it can only get better with a competent play caller, then he's gone. But I'm going to be optimistic that this is the year he figures it out and gets out the way.. We have talent. JMO

**Sorry for the long post**

I agree with you that we're more athletic than UNC right now. That makes the loss last season look worse. Here's the really bad news. I live in Charlotte (arguably the football hotbed of NC) and work in the high school sports arena. Mack is selling the promise of UNC hard!! Players they would not have gotten in the last 15-20 years are now believing that Chapel Hill will be the location of the next football dynasty. Even offering players with above-average basketball skills the chance to play ball for him and Roy while in school. Think about all those players from NC that we thought we'd get for this last signing class that chose the TarHeels. That's just the start. And, of course, the parents are sold on this and the Chapel Hill education (no one up here acknowledges the scandal from a few years ago).

And, like many have said here, Mack is simply the CEO and face of UNC Football. He has a coaching staff built to recruit. They know how to get the attention of top talent, secure them, and coach them a little further. All the way from his coordinators to his two personal advisors.

God knows I would love to see us have an extremely successful season. And especially more successful than Chapel Hill so we can get our foot back in the door up here. I just don't see it happening with Muschamp.
That's fair..... I just think we have a lot of talent that were put in the wrong situations (play calling was horrible) during the season. We win a lot of games last year with a competent OC. I truly believe that

That's fair..... I just think we have a lot of talent that were put in the wrong situations (play calling was horrible) during the season. We win a lot of games last year with a competent OC. I truly believe that

Man I fully agree with you. I hope for all of our sake (especially my wife that's tired of hearing me talk about our golden era) that you're correct and your optimism leads us to a memorable season.

Reactions: Expro19
Flame away but I could care less that he went to UNC.He is a nice player but we have a cpl JJ Jones types on the team now, tall possession receivers.I want speed burners and that he is not.He may turn out to be great at UNC but to me it's not a huge loss, especially us waiting till basically the last minute to offer.I think we gotta steal out of Nick Barnett, the 6'4 320 dlineman from Goldsboro, NC. Point being ,you can't get every in state guy nor should you want every instate guy. Let's see how the receivers we do get perform and that's gonna take a cpl years most likely to evaluate. He only played one year with Doty and was playing another position before that at a different high school so not like he had a ton of tape.

Really ?? We have probably the worst receiving core in the SEC this year . If he can catch a football he’s better than what we have .
I feel like our wr's will get better coaching or maybe more consistent coaching, thought it was kinda weird that our WR coach was the OC anyway. Most OC'S are the qb coach or just the OC.

I feel like our wr's will get better coaching or maybe more consistent coaching, thought it was kinda weird that our WR coach was the OC anyway. Most OC'S are the qb coach or just the OC.

jamyest williams should have been playing slot and be the end around man. He was too small to play free safety. Think he could have helped. The roster has been mismanaged just like the football program. By this time, the roster should be well stocked. It isn’t. When muschamp was let go at UF, he left somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 o linemen in the program. Might have been highly rated classes there but certain position groups were almost ignored. Sound familiar?

Well the wr room is plentiful just hasn't been well coached in about 2 years.The Db's surprisingly since that's what Champ and Trob are known for, has had numbers, guys have either gotten hurt/transferred and or not panned out.The lines on the other hand no complaints from me on that boss.QB room either.

id argue against talent being at an acceptable level. unfortunately the talent level across the board including at wr and rb just decreased dramatically. outside of shi smith (3rd round talent once people actually start watching his tape), theres isnt much. elite freshman rb will need time. i actually think a year off due to covid benefits muschamp/bobo more than any coaching pair.

id argue against talent being at an acceptable level. unfortunately the talent level across the board including at wr and rb just decreased dramatically. outside of shi smith (3rd round talent once people actually start watching his tape), theres isnt much. elite freshman rb will need time. i actually think a year off due to covid benefits muschamp/bobo more than any coaching pair.
No way lose you leave

Across the board? Do you know our roster or are you just throwing this out there..... We have talent returning on the Offensive and defensive side of the ball. We are weakest at WR right now but we have Xavier and Otre coming back if Vann steps up that could be a good group.

Mack as the CEO is totally true, just like Dabo. And they totally surround themselves with the best of the best. Probably a lot less stressful when it comes down to it. SOS still has more coaching ability in his thumb than those 2 put together, but he was NEVER gonna do that CEO bit. Ward, Junior, Deke, I mean it’s honestly like he went out of his way to hire the worst coaches available, which is sad because his name alone got the players who could’ve won a MNC if they had the coaching. I’ve looked back at some 2012 & 13 videos recently, so much talent, but the D especially was not always fundamentally sound, but there was enough talent to mask it. Look at Clemson, 5 straight, and even though some Taters say we won a few of the 5-peat because they turned the ball over......our team caused more turnovers than Carter has liver pills

And I don’t care what they say, with the exception of the early part of the ‘09 game, and ‘12 with DT, those games were NEVER in doubt. That’s something (takeaways) I really miss these days.

Sad to say as a Gamecock fan, but if you were a can't-miss prospect in HS, why would you consider coming here right now? We're landlocked by UGA and UNC's recent success and the school up the road has been to 4 of the last 5 championships (winning 2). As a fan, I think this is the least I've looked forward to a season since pre-Lou.
I would have said the same thing the day you wrote that, but far more so today. It all looks so trivial and inconsequential now.

One thing Mack Brown has proven at UNC. Hire the right coach and one can see its program take that next step in recruiting. I see folks on here celebrating certain recruits. One within the last week comes to mind. Then a little investigation tells you that not one school that USC needs to beat to take the program up a notch offered him. That isn't going to work. One can talk about coaching, scheme, etc., but talent wins ball games. And if nothing else Mack is showing that with the right touch on the recruiting trail that what was a mediocre program can compete with the big boys. Unfortunately, I dont see that happening in Columbia anytime soon

Actually rb is one of the positions where freshmen can step in and do well, you either have it or you don't

Muschamp is a dead man walking. Everybody knows he would have been fired if RT hadn't given him that ridiculous buyout. Nobody thinks he is going to be anything more than we have already seen, so as soon as the buyout is at a reasonable level, he will be gone.

I know this. You know this. And recruits know this. We are almost back to the point where we were when Spurrier said he might hang around a couple of more years. Recruits think 3 or 4 years down the road.

Recruiting battles like this is why losing is the only sanction that lasts. We all know Muschamp does not lose recruits due to a lack of effort. We just don't win enough games to get that recruiting swag in our program.

And NC’s record the past 10 years is?

Muschamp is a dead man walking. Everybody knows he would have been fired if RT hadn't given him that ridiculous buyout. Nobody thinks he is going to be anything more than we have already seen, so as soon as the buyout is at a reasonable level, he will be gone.

I know this. You know this. And recruits know this. We are almost back to the point where we were when Spurrier said he might hang around a couple of more years. Recruits think 3 or 4 years down the road.
It appears USC has two dead men walking-RT being the other. He must have a screw loose somewhere to have given that ridiculous buy out for a 9-4 season. Why did BOT go along with it? A rookie AD who knows nothing about being an AD.
It does look like SS' last few years. He promotes Ward who is neither a great recruiter or coach and then WM promotes BMac who knows nothing about being an OC and is not a great recruiter. No one was burning up the phone lines trying to hire BMac away.
I would imagine USC could have gotten a great HFBC with that buy out. Could have hired Riley or Tom if AD knew what he was doing.

Reactions: Goose cock
It appears USC has two dead men walking-RT being the other. He must have a screw loose somewhere to have given that ridiculous buy out for a 9-4 season. Why did BOT go along with it? A rookie AD who knows nothing about being an AD.
It does look like SS' last few years. He promotes Ward who is neither a great recruiter or coach and then WM promotes BMac who knows nothing about being an OC and is not a great recruiter. No one was burning up the phone lines trying to hire BMac away.
I would imagine USC could have gotten a great HFBC with that buy out. Could have hired Riley or Tom if AD knew what he was doing.

tenner is a bumbling fool of an administrator, the board of trustees rubber stamps everything. Muschamp was a known failure and we hired him anyway. Then sunk our ship with this buyout. This will set us back a decade. USC doesn’t seem to care. #notadime

Reactions: jerryusc
tenner is a bumbling fool of an administrator, the board of trustees rubber stamps everything. Muschamp was a known failure and we hired him anyway. Then sunk our ship with this buyout. This will set us back a decade. USC doesn’t seem to care. #notadime
That's really sad. The way USC treats the best fans in the nation. It will eventually catch up with the future powers that be but hey the old guard will be retired and comfortable on a pension that they have done nothing to earn.
This is the same thought pattern that led to leaving the ACC and the firing of Carlen. U r right. It's a huge we don't care sign to us longtime suffering loyal fans.

Losing to them didn’t help us any, but I’m not sure he wouldn’t still be taking them from us. Mack was going to get some recruits...we knew that. It’ll be interesting to see if they can sustain some success. I’m not sure he can overcome a down year at this point in his coaching career.

I’d rather have him that Muschamp, but I really don’t want either as our HC. But sadly, I’m not sure what the answer is. Just praying we’ll get lucky and strike gold with the right unproven person someday. I don’t see us getting much more anytime soon.

I've often thought that he would have been a perfect fit for SC. He retired in 2013 from Texas and was in the broadcast booth in 2014 and 2015. Had we hired him in 2015 he would have been 64. Was his name even mentioned as a replacement for Spurrier or was he considered washed up?

He was no more washed up than Holtz (also retired) or Spurrier (failed in the NFL).

There is a very real, and perhaps likely, scenario that sees Muschamp and his staff fired at the end of next season. Recruiting this cycle is going to be a challenge.
I hope they have their eyes on someone, but my guess is that RT is not being proactive. He's hoping Muschamp will pull a rabbit out of his hat and win 9 games and put us back on the right track.

Honestly, I don't see anything positive in our immediate football future.

jamyest williams should have been playing slot and be the end around man. He was too small to play free safety. Think he could have helped. The roster has been mismanaged just like the football program. By this time, the roster should be well stocked. It isn’t. When muschamp was let go at UF, he left somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 o linemen in the program. Might have been highly rated classes there but certain position groups were almost ignored. Sound familiar?

Just asking, but he is listed as a cornerback at Ga State, why? Do you think they might be missing the boat too?

Reactions: carolinamyke
Myrtle Beach WR JJ Jones had set 6:00 PM Friday night to announce his college commitment. Apparently he decided there was no reason to wait. At 10:00 PM Thursday night Jones announced he had committed to North Carolina. He picked the Tar Heels over USC and Georgia.

North Carolina might be a better place for him. The ACC might be a place where a three star guy can over achieve, start, and get noticed sooner. Who knows, he might have wanted to go there for the same reason Richard Quinn did; academics. LOL

Reactions: carolinamyke
Actually, he gave that ridiculous buyout after a 7-5 year. Which makes it even more ridiculous.
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...assistants-get-contract-extension/2358167002/

Across the board? Do you know our roster or are you just throwing this out there..... We have talent returning on the Offensive and defensive side of the ball. We are weakest at WR right now but we have Xavier and Otre coming back if Vann steps up that could be a good group.

Doesn’t sound like he is familiar at all
Just a random post

Reactions: Expro19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT