ADVERTISEMENT

Madness - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that Pelaton commercial.

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
I saw it, like I`m sure most people did, before the made up "controversy" and thought nothing of it. What woman, or man, wouldn`t be happy(assuming they worked out) with a $2000 exercise machine for Christmas? The woman is in shape and that`s a negative??? I can see someone getting worked up if the woman was 25 lbs. overweight and the message was you need to lose weight. None of that. Honestly, you had to be looking for something to get something negative out of that commercial. And I have never used Pelaton, don`t use any exercise equipment. Are they going to complain about jewelry, clothes commercials too? Another example of pure liberal craziness.

I think the commercial is goofy. No idea why it’s triggering people.

Reactions: okccock
It's much ado about nothing. Just because you look like you're in shape, it doesn't mean that you are. You can be at just the right weight for your frame and still have really crappy muscle tone and aerobic capacity. And when you start trying to improve that, it can be a real wake up call. And really satisfying when you make improvements. That's my take away from the commercial.

I'm not familiar with this ad, I'm going to have to get caught up on this one. I love to get involved in controversial topics, especially when the loonies on the left can take a expulsion of intestinal gas and turn it into Global warming crisis.

Reactions: The Gadfly
this perfectly describes so many people these days

72988028_1193873227489961_7236866602082238464_n.jpg

I'm not familiar with this ad, I'm going to have to get caught up on this one. I love to get involved in controversial topics, especially when the loonies on the left can take a expulsion of intestinal gas and turn it into Global warming crisis.
Freddie, don't waste your time on this one. It is clearly much ado about absolutely nothing. However, the advertiser is getting a lot of free advertising from this faux controversy.

It should. It's a complete Seinfeld thread-about nothing.
For the record, I find the ads annoying. But it didn't occur to me there was something offensive about it. Thus, IDK what the OP is talking about.
Many on here trying to affix blame on this issue to the other side of the aisle to fit their political agenda.
Maybe those complaining about the ad, are those who desperately need to get in shape, but are too lazy to do anything about it. So they vent.
Just a theory.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I think they should make a Hallmark Christmas movie about it. We need to know the backstory to this gift. She obviously really loves it. What his motivation? What’s hers. Which one is the Veterinarian, who is the one that just moved back to town? Are those her kids or his? I can’t wait.

This is what you get when you have dozens of "news" outlets operating 24 hours a day, ravenous beasts desperate for "stories" in order to obtain the requisite number of clicks needed to retain advertisers and extend their tenuous existence.

Even in an age where we have unending legitimate controversies and scandals actually worth serious consideration, even that is not enough to satisfy the beast. Pablum like this fuels the clicks because most people are too lazy or stupid or just plain exhausted to concern themselves with real news.

The commercial is a tempest in a teacup. The controversy du jour.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the commercial. People are projecting their own issues onto it, and as another noted, making it much ado about nothing.

The supposed issues -
1) Husband buys wife a Peleton because he's demanding that she stay thin. Eyeroll Um...maybe she asked for one? It is possible that a woman, already appearing to be in good shape, could ask for an exercise device to stay in good shape. And as noted, just because you are thin does not mean you are in shape.
2) She has to keep a daily journal so the husband can check up on her. Eyeroll How many of us have friends that chronicle their workout/weight loss journeys on Social Media? Are they only doing it because their spouses demand it? FFS people! My friends and I use our social media fitness journeys for inspiration, encouragement, and extra accountability to keep us on track.

Would there have been an uproar had a woman bought her "Dad Bod" husband one? No, there would not have been. Double standard, perhaps? (Dad Bods rock, btw!)

Here's an idea folks...deal with your own issues, and don't try to project them on the rest of the world. K? Thanks!

Last edited:
Some quite humorous observations about the faux outrage from the left over this commercial:

"Why is the wife excited about her Peloton bike? Well, because she’s a character in a Peloton advertisement. The people featured in advertisements are typically way more psyched about the advertised product than any normal human would be. Have you ever seen how people act in Pepsi commercials?"

"Is it sexist for a husband to give his wife exercise equipment as a gift? Well, again, even if it were real life, it wouldn’t be in an advertisement around the holidays. Case in point: In reality, it would destroy your marriage and ultimately your life if you bought your spouse a $55,000 luxury sedan for Christmas. But people in Lexus and Mercedes ads do this all the time. And the spouse receiving the gift never says something realistic like, “You did this without telling me? Now we have a $1,200 car payment every month. How are we going to pay the mortgage? We’re going to be homeless now, you psycho.” That’s because, as has already been stated, it’s an advertisement, not a documentary."

"I’ve also heard that the ad is problematic because the wife was already skinny and didn’t “need” the bike. But would it have offended everyone’s delicate sensibilities any less if she were fat?"

"What kind of ad would pass the perpetually outraged litmus test? Maybe a disembodied, genderless voice saying: “Here is a Peloton. It is an exercise bike. You can use it. But you don’t need to use it. But you don’t not need to use it. We’re not saying anything about you, either way. Never mind, just forget we brought this up.”'

https://www.dailywire.com/news/wals...-exercise-bike-the-outrage-is-insanely-stupid

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the commercial. People are projecting their own issues onto it, and as another noted, making it much ado about nothing.

The supposed issues -
1) Husband buys wife a Peleton because he's demanding that she stay thin. Eyeroll Um...maybe she asked for one? It is possible that a woman, already appearing to be in good shape, could ask for an exercise device to stay in good shape. And as noted, just because you are thin does not mean you are in shape.
2) She has to keep a daily journal so the husband can check up on her. Eyeroll How many of us have friends that chronicle their workout/weight loss journeys on Social Media? Are they only doing it because their spouses demand it? FFS people! My friends and I use our social media fitness journeys for inspiration, encouragement, and extra accountability to keep us on track.

Would there have been an uproar had a woman bought her "Dad Bod" husband one? No, there would not have been. (Dad Bods rock, btw!)

Here's an idea folks...deal with your own issues, and don't try to project them on the rest of the world. K? Thanks!
I think people who don’t work out assume she’s doing so to lose weight. For me a work out is partly stress maintenance. Maybe that’s what the gift was all about for her.

I think people who don’t work out assume she’s doing so to lose weight. For me a work out is partly stress maintenance. Maybe that’s what the gift was all about for her.
Spot on. I work out to both lose weight, and to relieve stress. My workout of choice is either walking or the elliptical. Both help with having to walk 18 holes regularly to watch Smalls play golf ($25 cart rental per tournament adds up over a season).

Some quite humorous observations about the faux outrage from the left over this commercial:

"Why is the wife excited about her Peloton bike? Well, because she’s a character in a Peloton advertisement. The people featured in advertisements are typically way more psyched about the advertised product than any normal human would be. Have you ever seen how people act in Pepsi commercials?"

"Is it sexist for a husband to give his wife exercise equipment as a gift? Well, again, even if it were real life, it wouldn’t be in an advertisement around the holidays. Case in point: In reality, it would destroy your marriage and ultimately your life if you bought your spouse a $55,000 luxury sedan for Christmas. But people in Lexus and Mercedes ads do this all the time. And the spouse receiving the gift never says something realistic like, “You did this without telling me? Now we have a $1,200 car payment every month. How are we going to pay the mortgage? We’re going to be homeless now, you psycho.” That’s because, as has already been stated, it’s an advertisement, not a documentary."

"I’ve also heard that the ad is problematic because the wife was already skinny and didn’t “need” the bike. But would it have offended everyone’s delicate sensibilities any less if she were fat?"

"What kind of ad would pass the perpetually outraged litmus test? Maybe a disembodied, genderless voice saying: “Here is a Peloton. It is an exercise bike. You can use it. But you don’t need to use it. But you don’t not need to use it. We’re not saying anything about you, either way. Never mind, just forget we brought this up.”'

https://www.dailywire.com/news/wals...-exercise-bike-the-outrage-is-insanely-stupid

Hey now, I'm kinda liberal in some ways and dont find the commercial offensive at all. I liked watching that young lady pedal her stationary bike. I think we should have more commercials with good looking ladies working with fitness equipment. Maybe someone can bring back the thighmaster.

I guess the husband can’t give her a good work out to release her stress????

“Did I say that out loud?”

Hey now, I'm kinda liberal in some ways and dont find the commercial offensive at all. I liked watching that young lady pedal her stationary bike. I think we should have more commercials with good looking ladies working with fitness equipment. Maybe someone can bring back the thighmaster.

lol, certainly not every liberal is in the "woke" crowd. You do not seem to fit that mold, and maybe fit into the ever-shrinking category of "open-minded liberal." However, I can pretty much assure you that 100% of people offended by this commercial would identify as liberals.

The supposed issues -

Would there have been an uproar had a woman bought her "Dad Bod" husband one? No, there would not have been. (Dad Bods rock, btw!)

I don't generally understand women. I understand this woman. So, the ads a success to me. Who cares anyway? Pelaton apparently does not, they understand the women they sell to. That's all that matters.

Addendum: I live with three women.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I liked the ad. Her husband gave her something she wanted. She used it for a year. She was happy with the results. I don't get the controversy.

About 5 years ago I gave my cyclist wife a new bike for Christmas. We have ridden together tens of thousands of miles together. I don't get why anyone would be upset with the ad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT