ADVERTISEMENT

Makeup Date of 12/1

mannblack

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Jan 13, 2002
I believe we can skip the plan for playing in Atlanta, but the SCHSL football championships (not all games) are planned for Williams-Brice on 12/1.

Wouldn't make SCHS coaches too happy if they had to relocate. We may be looking for a neutral site or road game. Honestly, who knows?

I believe we can skip the plan for playing in Atlanta, but the SCHSL football championships (not all games) are planned for Williams-Brice on 12/1.

Wouldn't make SCHS coaches too happy if they had to relocate. We may be looking for a neutral site or road game. Honestly, who knows?

Thursday after Clemson?

They would be mad about us using our own stadium to makeup a game we didn't have any control over cancelling? I know many of our high school coaches expect to be cowtowed to but that's a little bit dramatic on their part of they got upset over that.

I don't know what they will be; just speculating......The SCHSL Championships are scheduled for Dec 1 in Columbia

Ray talked about this on the radio the other day, most likely the high school state champ will be backed up bc of the teams that couldnt play this past week and may not play this week coming up. 12/1 looks wide open for a home game.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I don't mean to sound like a smart ass but, Muschamp already clearly stated that he doesn't like the idea of playing on our open date. To me, it is obvious and, in a politically correct manner, he is saying "not my decision and not trying to overstep my authority but, WE ARE NOT playing a make-up game at any time, at any place, against anybody. END OF DISCUSSION"

Last edited:
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

It's our stadium, and we have priority. The HS coaches will have to get over it. It's not like we planned to have a hurricane screw up the schedule.

Reactions: robertfootball
LOL .... You have got to be kidding. While we are at it, let's DEMAND the Pope make Christmas a Monday Holiday.
Well an extra week was just added to the HS schedule so it's a moot point now.

But yes, they would have to get over it. If we were to have a game at home that weekend, they would simply have to move somewhere else. Our events take priority. The University has an out clause in any contract to use our facilities.

Reactions: king ward
If we play a no name 12/1 and Bama vs Georgia is on tv who do you think our fans are gonna watch

Hmm, lets just move those high school games up to Tigertown. We wold be glad to offer up our facilities, and even offer some tours of the grounds :)

SCHSL are pushing the football playoffs back a week, they will end the 2nd weekend of December which opens up 12/1 for a makeup game.

Only way we should play it is if we’re sitting on 5 wins
Kind of hard to wait and see what kind of record we have before scheduling it.
Personally, I think if we need to schedule a game against Wofford to get to 6 wins and a berth in the Birmingham Bowl, we should probably just stick with 6-5 and have our losing season on paper as well as in reality.

Could be the difference between 9 and 10 wins and quite frankly our history lacks many double digit win seasons. Be a good game to get someone like Dak some time if you ask me

Some insight from a high school coach:

1. Telling the SCHSL they can reschedule or relocate is not as easy as it seems. There are not many venues available to host. The SCHSL has booked the venue and paid for it in advance. Let me ask you this.....would you rather they play the state title games at Pickens Tech? It’s happened before. Would you really like them to move the state title games from Columbia to Clemson? It’s not like they can just do it at Benedict.

2. Luckily the SCHSL has to push things back due to flooding. It amazes me how many tropical storms and hurricanes have impacted this state in the last 15 years, yet the SCHSL can’t figure out a way to handle this without pushing the season back. I say make every high school team play week 0 as a conference game. Give them one week in late October/early November as a bye. If there is no interruption, you get a rest week. If there is, plug your cancelled games in here.

Some insight from a high school coach:

1. Telling the SCHSL they can reschedule or relocate is not as easy as it seems. There are not many venues available to host. The SCHSL has booked the venue and paid for it in advance. Let me ask you this.....would you rather they play the state title games at Pickens Tech? It’s happened before. Would you really like them to move the state title games from Columbia to Clemson? It’s not like they can just do it at Benedict.

2. Luckily the SCHSL has to push things back due to flooding. It amazes me how many tropical storms and hurricanes have impacted this state in the last 15 years, yet the SCHSL can’t figure out a way to handle this without pushing the season back. I say make every high school team play week 0 as a conference game. Give them one week in late October/early November as a bye. If there is no interruption, you get a rest week. If there is, plug your cancelled games in here.

They play that Friday at Benedict, as it is. To believe that the University can't cancel the contract if the need arises, i.e. a rescheduled home game for the Gamecocks, is akin to not understanding the out clauses in contracts.

It doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me where they play the State Championship games. Where HS championships are played isn't going to make someone choose one over the other. It will be their visits to the school that does that. And until we have a nice shiny trophy in our trophy case, it's going to be hard to out recruit Clemsux, no matter what we do.

Marshall, 12/1, Williams Brice, I will be there.

SEC understands the situation we are in. They will not object as long as it isnt the same time slot.
The SEC Tv network would probably love to broadcast that game.

They play that Friday at Benedict, as it is. To believe that the University can't cancel the contract if the need arises, i.e. a rescheduled home game for the Gamecocks, is akin to not understanding the out clauses in contracts.

It doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me where they play the State Championship games. Where HS championships are played isn't going to make someone choose one over the other. It will be their visits to the school that does that. And until we have a nice shiny trophy in our trophy case, it's going to be hard to out recruit Clemsux, no matter what we do.

Not understanding altering contracts once made, whether the need arises or not, also causes parties to seek contracts elsewhere.

The “they play at Benedict” argument is misleading. It’s cool if Cardinal Newman and McCormick want to play there. You’re not going to squeeze Gaffney vs Dutch Fork into a stadium the size of Benedict.

While you may not think it’s a recruiting advantage and we can certainly debate whether our university has taken full advantage, it should be an advantage to look out your coaching office and see the best teams in the state competing. It’s easier than a 200 mile round trip.

Reactions: ddw1263
Marshall, 12/1, Williams Brice, I will be there.

SEC understands the situation we are in. They will not object as long as it isnt the same time slot.
The SEC Tv network would probably love to broadcast that game.

There is a very good chance that Marshall will be playing in the Conference USA championship game on that date. This may not be an option and we may not know till the 2-3 rd week of November if they qualify.

TarHoles are looking for a game as well, would be an easy win for the Gamecocks.
They're in the same position as we are, looking for a home makeup game. Not a lot of incentive on their part to make up a game but it's an away game.

They're in the same position as we are, looking for a home makeup game. Not a lot of incentive on their part to make up a game but it's an away game.

We open the season with those scumbags next year. Let's wait until then to be inundated with wine & cheese.

Hell, schedule East Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT