ADVERTISEMENT

Manner: LSU game may be played somewhere else

Back then the engineers had to look over the stadium for structural damage.

All USC classes are cancelled for this week and I wonder if it had to do with water lines and road ways...

http://www.sc.edu/uofsc/weather/

There's a link to our statement regarding the cancellation. water service was out on campus earlier in the week (students had to use portajohns and bottled water), but has since been restored. Not sure if it will continue to operate effectively though. Also a concern about 34,000 students descending on city center.

Honestly, to cancel classes through the week, then turn around and play a college football game on the weekend would look really bad. So I'm fine with moving it. I just hope we get some kind of future consideration from the league for doing so.

LOL! Are you serious? This is football. We'll get a lot of good feelings and preyers from our SEC opponents and the conference office, but when it comes right down to the game itself or any gifts-in-kind, don't expect an extra home SEC game next year or whatever - won't happen.

Play it on Monday or Sunday in Columbia.. Assuming they get the drinking water issue worked out this week. If they do play it on Saturday.. Move it back to a 1 or 2 pm kick off.. Give the fans extra time to get to the game. Who cares about the TV, schedule.. Hopefully they are not jumping through hoops to accommodate TV schedule.. No different then Notre Dame booking extra hotel rooms to play the next 2 days, LSU should be prepared to stay till Monday.. The back roads are not going to be fixed before the end of the season.. Plan to play in Columbia.. If LSU cannot accommodate a Sunday or Monday game, then let them forfeit. The teams could always do what the MLB teams did earlier this year and not allow fans into the stadium and still play the game..

If there is no drinking water, let the fans bring their own, if needed.. Also, no doubt it would be a big fundraiser.....

either way.. hope everyone affected by the floods are safe and prayers to families that have suffered lose.
Not a chance...first you can't fill a stadium with no running water due to sanitary needs. Second, why would you want to move it to Sunday or Monday and have the whole college football world focus on Fournette running over, through, and around our defense?

The SEC office has say so in this decision also.

LOL! Are you serious? This is football. We'll get a lot of good feelings and preyers from our SEC opponents and the conference office, but when it comes right down to the game itself or any gifts-in-kind, don't expect an extra home SEC game next year or whatever - won't happen.
Then our AD is not worth a damn. Seriously. Think about it.

The essential point is how it looks: no classes all week then a football game on Saturday. Looks bad I'd don't care what you think.

It also looks bad that 11 people have lost their lives, and all we care about is a football game.
Uh just because we are discussing a football game, on a football message board does not mean we don't care!

I understand where some of you are coming from, but I'm sure there are a lot of Gamecock fans who could care less about a football game right now. Also, if I was going, I'd feel a little guilty sitting at WB cheering (hopefully) while just a few miles away some folks have lost everything.

The problem isn't just water.

As Coach Tanner said (and I had thought about earlier) - having a home game requires many officers and work from the hwy patrol and local paramedics, etc- that are already exhausted- and will be even more exhausted by Saturday.

So it's more than just the water issue- which is a big issue. Having a home game this week may tax our public servants beyond a breaking point.

Those folks have to - and deserve to - gets some rest and family time. They aren't getting it right now and aren't going to get any the next few days.

I could be wrong, but I have always thought the Officers and Paramedics working the games were doing so on their off duty time to earn extra money? It's like picking up an extra shift. My neighbor is a SC State Trooper and he takes a week "off duty" to work the Heritage Golf Tournament every year for extra money.

Yes we played GT 2 days after Hugo, but Hugo did not really effect Columbia. So right now in Columbia, many people homeless, no water, and bridges and roads might be unsafe for travel. It would be really smart to hold a home football game this week.

Were you in Columbia for Hugo? I'm a lifelong Charleston resident and I can assure you that everything you just listed also occurred in the wake of Hugo. Many people are forgetting that at that time Hugo was the most devastating and costly Hurricane to ever make landfall in the US.

We had no power for 4 weeks .Two big trees fell on our house and lost 9 trees . You must had been under a rock.
Did you die from that? And yes I was living in the downtown area. BTW, the death count is now up to 14.

Were you in Columbia for Hugo? I'm a lifelong Charleston resident and I can assure you that everything you just listed also occurred in the wake of Hugo. Many people are forgetting that at that time Hugo was the most devastating and costly Hurricane to ever make landfall in the US.
The Rock Hill/ Charlotte area was hit 100 times worse than Columbia.

Instead of using the fact that USC played football right after Hugo came through, remind me if The Citadel played that weekend?

I was in Columbia for Hugo. Well technically Cayce... I remember flooded parking lots, uprooted trees blocking roads, no power in some areas... It was bad but do us a favor and PLEASE don't compare Columbia today to Columbia after Hugo. They're NOTHING alike.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC'88

Reactions: pepsicock
Did you die from that? And yes I was living in the downtown area. BTW, the death count is now up to 14.

Hugo was a different type of devastation state wide than the flooding we're experiencing now. Many will have very different viewpoints on the two because of how they were affected. It does not good to sit here and go back and forth over who remembers what from each event.

The Rock Hill/ Charlotte area was hit 100 times worse than Columbia.
It's weird that we are arguing over who was 'hit harder' but... Columbia was rocked by Hugo. We had a power extension cord running down the street to the few houses that actually did have power. It helped power our fridges/freezers for over two weeks. Trees were down everywhere. The eye hit Charleston, came straight up and hit Columbia as well with a little less force.

If Rock Hill was left of the eye when it hit, then I can image it was pretty bad as well(tornadoes and winds are the worst on the west part of a hurricane) but Columbia was hit head on with the eye of the storm.

Instead of using the fact that USC played football right after Hugo came through, remind me if The Citadel played that weekend?

I was in Columbia for Hugo. Well technically Cayce... I remember flooded parking lots, uprooted trees blocking roads, no power in some areas... It was bad but do us a favor and PLEASE don't compare Columbia today to Columbia after Hugo. They're NOTHING alike.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC'88

Actually Citadel played at Williams-Brice on that Sunday. So the idea of moving our game to another city is very logical, given the conditions in Columbia.

Last edited:

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC'88

Flooded parking lots, uprooted trees, and no power in some areas?
That's a gross understatement if I've ever read one. Hugo caused 6 billion dollars (billion with a b) damage, and that was in 1989. I just read an article in the P&C that adjusted the dollar amount, based on inflation, and determined the damage to be north of 20 Billion in todays dollars. I'm certainly not wanting to make this a tit for tat, but USC played a game 2 days after the costliest, most damaging hurricane to ever make landfall in the United States, at that time.
Now, you do me a favor and don't downplay Hugo... I was born and raised in Charleston. We lost our home. My grandparents lost their home. Many of my friends in the neighborhood lost their homes. We were without power for almost a month. No running water for a week. No clean drinking water for several weeks. It took this state decades to fully recover from hurricane Hugo.

Thanks Batgirl. You got the point I was making.

BigTom, I was in NO WAY downplaying the horrors of Hugo in Charleston! I'd actually written more about what happened there but deleted it because I didn't want to sound preachy. Tidal surge, triple-digit wind, I can still see pictures of boats and houses being lifted and moved hundreds of yards away. In Columbia I didn't see that. There was damage in Columbia but not enough to keep Williams-Brice from hosting football. This time though, with all of the damage that's IN Columbia, football may have to take a backseat.

Maybe we could play LSU at The Citadel this weekend to return the favor from '89. :>)

GO COCKS!

It also looks bad that 11 people have lost their lives, and all we care about is a football game.

The day before the Missouri game, our own military bombed a doctors with no boarders camp, killing 19 people.

Did you not know this, or is it that you don't care, outta sight outta mind?

We had no power for 4 weeks .Two big trees fell on our house and lost 9 trees . You must had been under a rock.

Hey pepsi, a few years ago, the day after Christmas, we had a pine tree to fall within a few feet of our house. We had already had snow and rain off and on for several weeks. Hence, the roots of the pine tree were very shallow and the tree fell over. Luckily, the tree didn't hit our house but we had a tree expert come out and survey the rest of our property for any trees that might fall over and hit the house. We ended up having about 10-12 trees cut down and several other trees topped.

But anyway, as we all know, when a tree falls on a house and does significant damage it is almost impossible to restore the house to it's original condition.

Anyway, pepsi how did you guys restore your home?

Reactions: Closer
Nope, it was over 36 hours later. Hugo made landfall Thursday night/Friday AM at 12:01 am. We played Tech around 7 pm Saturday night.

You must have been having one heck of a Hurricane Party!
hey time flies, thought it hit Friday @ midnight....either way gvl escaped as it turned & headed toward queen city. a win is a win is a win. when will I c u?

No Columbia was not hit with the eye of Hugo. The storm followed the Santee River system up to Sumter and on to Charlotte it went. Columbia was well to the west and though we suffered, it was nothing compared to what we are facing right now today. This is going to alter our way of lives for a long long while.

If Tanner does decide to move the game due to traffic and other concerns, isn't Panthers stadium in Charlotte an option on a Saturday? If LSU can fly to Columbia then they can just as easily fly to Charlotte. I see no reason to go all the way to Baton Rouge and give up our home game.

Would anyone support playing on Sunday at Clemson?

I like it. But this decision is being made in conjunction with the SEC and ESPN. I would be surprised if we play opposite the NFL on Sunday.

No Columbia was not hit with the eye of Hugo. The storm followed the Santee River system up to Sumter and on to Charlotte it went. Columbia was well to the west and though we suffered, it was nothing compared to what we are facing right now today. This is going to alter our way of lives for a long long while.

The eye absolutely came over Columbia. I clearly remember walking outside when it was so eerily calm in the middle of all the storming.

Choices are Charlotte, Here, Baton Rouge, or forfeit. Even Charlotte hotels are still filled with displaced folks from SC. Decision today. We play them there in 2020, so Pastides is trying to swap those dates.

May Manner said that Mead Mall Moach Mteve Murrier mikes MSU's Mournette. MBS said they would melivise the mame.

Last edited:
Choices are Charlotte, Here, Baton Rouge, or forfeit. Even Charlotte hotels are still filled with displaced folks from SC. Decision today. We play them there in 2020, so Pastides is trying to swap those dates.
And the races are in Charlotte this weekend, I also heard rumor they just recently did something to BofA turf..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT