ADVERTISEMENT

Manner: LSU game may be played somewhere else

The eye did come right near Columbia. I was on campus at the time and the next morning we drove out to Cayce to eat at the Dunkin Donuts that was out there at the time. They didn't have power- but they had made a lot of donuts ahead of time.

Hugo did damage in Columbia- but it was nothing like this flood- and even the local officials have already talked about that.

We were out of power for a few days at our dorm- and folks had property damage at their homes like trees down and such- but there wasn't massive flooding , there weren't heavily travelled roads like Polo Rd and Spears Creek Church Rd- and others damaged to the point it will take months to repair - not even close.

The eye absolutely came over Columbia. I clearly remember walking outside when it was so eerily calm in the middle of all the storming.

That doesn't make a lot of sense considering they are using their official patrol cars, arresting people, taking them to jail, booking them, writing up reports. using taxpayer funded equipment.

I don't see how they could do that considering that from a legal and insurance standpoint. I work in the insurance field- and if a guy is off-duty- he's off duty. If he's "off duty" but using his patrol car- and other employer provided equipment, that would create a nightmare scenario if he/she was injured on the job. I advise employers all the time to avoid such situations where they are using work equipment on their off-duty time. I just cant imagine a law enforcement agency allowing them to use that equipment.

If you are off duty- you are off duty- you aren't using your taxpayer funded equipment as an off-duty person such as your gun, your equipment, etc.

I know some officers work security on their own time - but not while wearing their uniforms with their taxpayer funded cars and equipment .

I could be wrong, but I have always thought the Officers and Paramedics working the games were doing so on their off duty time to earn extra money? It's like picking up an extra shift. My neighbor is a SC State Trooper and he takes a week "off duty" to work the Heritage Golf Tournament every year for extra money.

That doesn't make a lot of sense considering they are using their official patrol cars, arresting people, taking them to jail, booking them, writing up reports. using taxpayer funded equipment.

I don't see how they could do that considering that from a legal and insurance standpoint. I work in the insurance field- and if a guy is off-duty- he's off duty. If he's "off duty" but using his patrol car- and other employer provided equipment, that would create a nightmare scenario if he/she was injured on the job. I advise employers all the time to avoid such situations where they are using work equipment on their off-duty time. I just cant imagine a law enforcement agency allowing them to use that equipment.

If you are off duty- you are off duty- you aren't using your taxpayer funded equipment as an off-duty person such as your gun, your equipment, etc.

I know some officers work security on their own time - but not while wearing their uniforms with their taxpayer funded cars and equipment .
They are acting "under the color of law."

I would love to see them postpone the LSU game until we get a football team that can compete with them.

Maybe- but that opens them up to all sorts of issues and insurance problems if an officer is hurt in that situation-

being "off -duty" but using taxpayer funded equipment and acting in the same role as an "on duty" patrolman.

I can understand them being "on duty" and simply getting paid overtime- that is paid for by an outside agency. That's different than being truly 'Off duty".

either way- it still a bogus argument at this point since most of them have been working extensively this week - doing other things.

It's not as if they are going to be "off" on Saturday if there is no game. They will still be working because of this flood issue - they will simply be working- not doing traffic for a football game.

They are acting "under the color of law."

Maybe- but that opens them up to all sorts of issues and insurance problems if an officer is hurt in that situation-

being "off -duty" but using taxpayer funded equipment and acting in the same role as an "on duty" patrolman.

I can understand them being "on duty" and simply getting paid overtime- that is paid for by an outside agency. That's different than being truly 'Off duty".

either way- it still a bogus argument at this point since most of them have been working extensively this week - doing other things.

It's not as if they are going to be "off" on Saturday if there is no game. They will still be working because of this flood issue - they will simply be working- not doing traffic for a football game.
SCTCA and the FTCA

Here we are talking about this weeks game, is everything going to be ready to go for when Vandy comes to town next week?

That sucks for you guys. After watching LSU@Syracuse, I felt like you had a chance at home. Not so much in Baton Rouge. The only good news is the Drunken Cajuns will only be .18 with an 11 a.m. kickoff so it should be a little quieter than a night game.

The eye did come right near Columbia. I was on campus at the time and the next morning we drove out to Cayce to eat at the Dunkin Donuts that was out there at the time. They didn't have power- but they had made a lot of donuts ahead of time.

Hugo did damage in Columbia- but it was nothing like this flood- and even the local officials have already talked about that.

We were out of power for a few days at our dorm- and folks had property damage at their homes like trees down and such- but there wasn't massive flooding , there weren't heavily travelled roads like Polo Rd and Spears Creek Church Rd- and others damaged to the point it will take months to repair - not even close.
The eye absolutely came over Columbia. I clearly remember walking outside when it was so eerily calm in the middle of all the storming.

0909HugobPathChuck.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT