ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Cuban and Elon Musk

I read an article on self driving trucks. The trucking industry is the largest employer in 30+ states. A start up plans to manufacture a self driving retro fit kit for trucks which will be on the market in 2-3 years. The trucks will have a ride along companion to attend to their needs. Hell someone has to pump the diesel, change computer settings etc.

So there are going to be a hell of a lot of unemployed truck drivers.
I would expect the trucking industry to reach critical mass fastest of all - at least for OTR routes. Someone will need to get in and drive the load to the final destination (much like harbor pilots guide big ships into port), but for the long haul, you don't need a person in the cab.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
This has been an on going debate and concern for a long time. In 1952 Vonnegut wrote a book called Player Piano that was pretty spot on about it

I don't think you're going to make any progress with a guy like that. It's bizarre to imagine anyone would use the term liberal propaganda while in the past month the White House has lied about the following:

-Kellyanne Conway lied and said there was a terrorist attack in Bowling Green, Kentucky that the media covered up.
-Kellyanne Conway said that same lie the next day.

-Sean Spicer lied and said there was a terrorist attack from refugees in Atlanta. The only terrorist attack to take place in Atlanta was the right wing nutjob Olympic Bomber (Eric Rudolph).

-Michael Flynn (NSA adviser who was fired) says he's had no contact with Russian ambassadors.
-Mike Pence says Michael Flynn has had no contact with Russian ambassadors.
-Michael Flynn was fired for having contact with Russia about lifting sanctions.

-The Trump team has ordered the Council of Economic Advisers to falsely claim 3 - 3.5% of economic growth.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...an-those-of-cbo-private-economists-1487356278

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.a316e6efc168

-Trump reported to the media that there was an ongoing terrorist attack in Sweden. There was not any attack. The Swedish embassy asked Trump to clarify. Instead of contacting them, he decided to tweet a response.

But anyway... yep.. it's all liberal propaganda.

Thanks for the update.

I don't think you're going to make any progress with a guy like that. It's bizarre to imagine anyone would use the term liberal propaganda while in the past month the White House has lied about the following:

-Kellyanne Conway lied and said there was a terrorist attack in Bowling Green, Kentucky that the media covered up.
-Kellyanne Conway said that same lie the next day.

-Sean Spicer lied and said there was a terrorist attack from refugees in Atlanta. The only terrorist attack to take place in Atlanta was the right wing nutjob Olympic Bomber (Eric Rudolph).

-Michael Flynn (NSA adviser who was fired) says he's had no contact with Russian ambassadors.
-Mike Pence says Michael Flynn has had no contact with Russian ambassadors.
-Michael Flynn was fired for having contact with Russia about lifting sanctions.

-The Trump team has ordered the Council of Economic Advisers to falsely claim 3 - 3.5% of economic growth.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...an-those-of-cbo-private-economists-1487356278

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.a316e6efc168

-Trump reported to the media that there was an ongoing terrorist attack in Sweden. There was not any attack. The Swedish embassy asked Trump to clarify. Instead of contacting them, he decided to tweet a response.

But anyway... yep.. it's all liberal propaganda.

They all lie and they all have their own agenda.

Sooo...automation in factories, transportation, and even retail now...hmmm

Where are we headed? Who has the answers
I think we'll see some combination of guaranteed minimum payments to every person, reduction of the work week, maximum work hours, reduced population, and major unrest in many of our lifetimes. No, all jobs are not going away, but we're inexorably working our way towards a skeleton crew, plus everyone who continues to be willing and able trade personal services with one another. I.e., I'll mow your lawn if you'll be my waiter kind of thing.

Manufacturing in the old sense is dead in america. All factories will need now is techs to do maintenance.

choose the blue pill or the red pill...But please stop posting nonsense...If automation killed the jobs in the USA, why didn't do the same in Mexico, SKorea and China?

Manufacturing in USA is on life support due to liberal economic policies...Automation is just a cover story for yet another liberal failure..Manufacturing will thrive in America as strongly as anywhere else with the right domestic economic agenda

Reactions: tl from little hell

Once you gentlemen are done dodging sniper fire deboarding a jet in Bosnia, i would love to inform you that "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor...if you like your healthcare plan..etc..don't forget the $2500 ACA will save every middle class family oh and by the way remember 'there are no middle class taxes in the ACA"

ISIS is the JV Team...The $1.5bil to Iran is not ransom...The Iran Nuke deal stopped the Iranian nuclear missile program..I mean how many lies do i have to chronicle before you loons wake up? Oh and by the way The Obama Administration didn't intend to stab Israel in the back on the way out the door...That cowardly abstain on the UN vote was a dagger right in the heart of our most faithful ally

Say automation will replace humans in the workplace... so who the hell is going to be buying these products these robots make?

I am not worried one bit about robots replacing American workers. The worry is Chinese workers. Where will they go? What will they do? Will Attila return with a billion man army?

Last edited:
Reactions: lawcalcock
Outsourcing and free trade are libertarian - not liberal policies. Free trade is what killed manufacturing in America. Simply put, it's cheaper to produce goods elsewhere and import them. That's free market capitalism at work on a global scale. Liberals fought against these policies side by side with labor unions.

Economically speaking, high tariffs and other protectionist trade policies don't work and never have. Just ask any 21st century economist.

Free trade is not FREE TRADE if our trading partner chages tariffs on our goods and we do not. I import product from China. What they produce, these products, is not 20 or even 30 percent below what American companies can produce. Try 70 or 80.

Ilove it! I make a good living sitting up in my mountain home, issuing sales orders and purchase orders. Its not all like that but changes need to occur or we will have meaningful growth industry here.

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bu...ks-are-replacing-workers-2016-5?client=safari

https://www.google.com/amp/www.digi...lmart-cuts-jobs-for-robots/amp/?client=safari

At the beginning of the year, we reported that robots were expected to replace some five million jobs by 2020. It's not even the end of the year yet, and this prediction already seems well on its way to coming true. The clairvoyant folks over at the World Economic Forum warned of a "Fourth Industrial Revolution" involving the rise of the machine in the workforce, and the latest company to lend credence to that claim is none other than Walmart, which is planning on cutting 7,000 jobs on account of automation.

The retail giant joins other companies like Foxconn and Wendy's, which both made headlines earlier in 2016 for making similar workforce decisions. Foxconn's casualties were the most pronounced, as the electronics maker cut some 60,000 factory jobs and replaced them with machines. And Wendy's cited the rising cost of labor and competition among fast food chains as motivation for its own decision to replace some cashiers with kiosks. After all, how much friendly service are you really expecting with your burger and fries?

hate to burst the bubble for the non believers.but as the tech gets better, more and more robots and machines will take the place of man..since the republicans want America dumb and cut back on education..it isn't going to look good for a lot of non educated people of the not so distant future..

Reactions: rjohn19
No sane competent American citizen would support Hillary for POTUS unless they are a brainwashed left wing loon...A braindead cockerspaniel would make a better President than Hillary would have...That stupid over medicated lush would have sold rights to the American Flag to China for a donation to the Clinton Foundation

As opposed to selling American interests to Russia.

Read a newspaper. Most of the Trump dossier has come true in regards to the Trump administration and the sale of Rosneft to unknown buyers.

What do you think about Carter Page, Michael Flynn, and the sale of Rosneft ?

If the Trump administration is continued to be linked to lifting sanctions in order to profit off of the sale of 19% Russia's government oil company - are you still ok with it?

Is this level of treason acceptable and do all politicians do that too?

If you can find tonight's oreilly factor,the last 10 mins talk about this same issue..they didn't deny it was coming..

Don't always agree with Mr Cuban but to Quote another famous Gamecock fan ... "He's spent more money on spilt liquor than all of us combined will make in our lifetimes ". Hard to criticize a guy who owns watches that are worth more than most of our vehicles . Just saying ...... Can't think of many people on this board who wouldn't trade places with him right now .

Reactions: ddw1263
Reading Elon Musk's biography right now. Pretty interesting cat.

You guys been in a factory lately, he is completely right but this revolution started a long time ago. Go to the BMW factory and tell me if the humans do much more than load the machines

Bridgestone just announced a $160 million expansion to the Wilson, NC plant. In that, they are hiring 16 people. 16! Factories do not hire thousands and thousands and let them work until retirement anymore. Those days are gone

I'm surprised anyone doesn't realize this. This automation of the factories has been going on for a LONG time now. For every one job lost by a factory moving abroad, there have been 8 lost due to automation. That said, the automation of things creates other jobs, like building and servicing the equipment. Still we are moving to a service sector/high tech economy. Our schools better be getting ready for this.

Reactions: rogue cock
Tomorrow's factory only has 2 employees: a man and a dog. The man is there to feed the dog and the dog is there to keep the man from messing with the machinery.
That is one of the most brilliant yet simplistic statements about the very near future

Reactions: wood90
I worked in the textile mill for 22 years until I left in 2010..back in the early to mid 90s they installed automatic guides that took the place of 3 people per machine..that was on 3 machines in the department..there was only about 15-20 people in it so they cut out about 7-9 people they had to pay wages to...

The types of human jobs that are going to continue to be replaced by automation are the 4 D’s:

Dirty

Robots don’t complain about working conditions. Their “bodies” are built to withstand factory conditions that would not be acceptable to a human. This can give robots a huge financial advantage. No health care. No sick leave. No workmen’s comp claims.

Difficult

Humans are incredibly adept at doing complex tasks. The fact is, however, that humans do not complete those tasks in a repeatable fashion with near zero tolerance precision over an extended period of time with no rest. Robots can do very difficult tasks, like heavy multi-pass arc welding while making corrections and adjustments on the fly. They can sort, pick and place boxes that are coming from 6, 8, 10 different conveyor lines simply by reading a bar code. It’s more difficult to implement than it looks, but that’s why you pay an integrator. (Shameless plug)

Dull

Repetitive tasks can drive employees batty, but a robot never gets bored. It will perform the same task the same way all day and all night long, without making errors due to fatigue or other factors common to human labor. The old picture of an automotive assembly line with a bunch of people doing the same thing all day has been replaced by a sea of robots.

Dangerous

Toxic fumes, explosive conditions and other hazards can make human employment undesirable or impossible. Thankfully we can send robots in to do the work instead. Many industries have already incorporated robotic paint booths. Chemicals manufacturers are steadily adopting robots into their environments as well.

Robots will never replace humans. Humans are your most valuable and infinitely deployable asset.

If I had grown kids I would be pushing them towards a trade of some kind...a robot cant come out and rewire your house

That is one of the most brilliant yet simplistic statements about the very near future

the post you are referring to is idealistic buffoonery...Automation is a great thing..It does not remove humans from the workplace..It moves human to different responsabilites and more technical roles in the workplace...The numbers on the factory floor will diminish...The numbers in engineering, programming and maintainence will increase...If economic policies are nationalistic, there will be more great jobs for humans..But yes there will be fewer entry level or grunt jobs..In other words humans must acquire the skills an evolving job market demands..But this idea automation will eliminate the job market is silly beyond belief

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT