ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Dantonio retires

Hangs it up with most wins in MSU history and 3 B1G championships (they have won 9 in their history)

Reactions: DrMickey
He is older and tired of the recruitment game. No.

It’s called sarcasm. Jeesh, the shear stupidity of the suggestion should have given it away!

But then, on the other hand, you never overestimate the thought process of ray.

Reactions: SOSUSC
I always thought he would make it back here. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.

This might sting but I don’t think he’s in love with here. Just going based on what I’ve read over the years or heard. He’s not from this part of the country either and I think location has a lot to do with it.

Reactions: howard13
Gotta say, the guy could coach. In a conference with Ohio State and Michigan, I think he held his own pretty well - especially NOT being at the big name school. We would name a stadium after a coach who could win the conference here.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
He has a few good years left in him but if he decides to coach again; I doubt he would wanna do it here. Winning at South Carolina is tough and although I believe he “would win, I doubt he’d take on the challenge.

It’s called sarcasm. Jeesh, the shear stupidity of the suggestion should have given it away!

But then, on the other hand, you never overestimate the thought process of ray.
Stupid or not, the idea of going after him- simply because he is an alum- has been tossed out so many times by fans here I kind of expected it to be the first idea floated by many in this thread. You are correct though, it would be insane to try to get him to come out of retirement. He is no Holtz/Spurrier. If we are going to bring someone out of “retirement” it better be Meyer or Stoops... A coach of that level. Beyond someone that level we should let sleeping dogs lie, end the trend of taking old “has been” retired guys or recycled Florida rejects and go for the up and coming young names... Obviously we TRIED that last time it just did not work out.

Stupid or not, the idea of going after him- simply because he is an alum- has been tossed out so many times by fans here I kind of expected it to be the first idea floated by many in this thread. You are correct though, it would be insane to try to get him to come out of retirement. He is no Holtz/Spurrier. If we are going to bring someone out of “retirement” it better be Meyer or Stoops... A coach of that level. Beyond someone that level we should let sleeping dogs lie, end the trend of taking old “has been” retired guys or recycled Florida rejects and go for the up and coming young names... Obviously we TRIED that last time it just did not work out.
There was a time Dantonio would have been a good option, had HE been interested. That time is long past.

There was a time Dantonio would have been a good option, had HE been interested. That time is long past.
Exactly- 10 years ago... I would have been on board but we were doing just fine with a better coach at the time. Even 4 years ago when we got Muschamp this would have been a questionable hire, certainly no better than what we got IMO mostly due to his advanced age and needing to start over completely rebuilding recruiting networks in a completely different area of the country...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT