ADVERTISEMENT

Marques Ford ...4* DE from Tampa - Vols pulled his offer

2u0s0c1

Sep 8, 2004
this afternoon.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/vols/2015/01/21/marques-ford-decommits-tennessee/22123845/?hootPostID=%5B%27%5B%22%5B%5C%2777c94a9ab906604b36416ca5c6c4038f%5C%27%5D%22%5D%27%5D

Former Vols recruiting class.

Frank LaRosa, who coached the defensive end at East Bay High School near Tampa, Fla., said Ford received a call from Tennessee defensive line coach Steve Stripling on Wednesday - exactly two weeks before national signing day.

"It's an ugly business," LaRosa said. " … In the nasty business, they kept it sort of honest by at least saying that they had other commits and they were pulling his commitment."

Stripling passed along word that because of a crowded class, Ford, who has a four-star rating from recruiting services, would not be able to play for the Vols this fall.

TENNESSEAN

UT's Hurd gets community service for drinking charge

Tennessee assistant athletics director for media relations Jason Yellin said he was not aware of Ford's decommitment.

LaRosa said Ford had been excited to play for Tennessee since committing in July. He chose the Vols over offers from dozens of schools, including Wisconsin, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, according to 247sports.com.

"He enjoyed his time on the campus and really liked it and thought that was going to be a fit for four years," LaRosa said.

Ford did not respond to an interview request left on his voicemail.

Ford (6-4, 230) cited "circumstances" on his Twitter account as the reason he was no longer committed to Tennessee.
[/QUOTE]
This post was edited on 1/21 10:48 PM by 2u0s0c1

There could be several issues here.

1. Recruiting is not an exact science. 2. Why should recruits be loyal to commitments when schools are not. 3. How accurate are recruiting ratings? 4. Are there grade issues? 5. Are there character issues?

I don't know the answer to any questions, but I do not have a favorable opinion of UT

Wow. Throwing four star recruits to the curb. Must be something in those hills up there also.

Originally posted by jdf1953:
Wow. Throwing four star recruits to the curb. Must be something in those hills up there also.
New fight song for UcheaT: "Our Cheatin' Hearts Will Make Us Win' *

*with apologies to the late Hank Williams

Only Auburn goes from number zilch to top ten in every sport faster than Tennessee.

"There's only so much room in the class, and I think they were coming up against that limit," Callahan said. "With that being the case, and with Tennessee having three other highly touted defensive ends in this class and three highly touted defensive tackles, I think those are all major factors."

Defensive ends Kyle Phillips, a Hillsboro product, and Andrew Butcher have already arrived on campus as part of Tennessee's 2015 class, along with defensive tackle Shy Tuttle. The Vols also have commitments from defensive tackles Kahlil McKenzie, a five-star recruit, and Quay Picou, as well as defensive end Darrell Taylor.

Ford's departure, which slid Tennessee from third to fourth in 247sports.com's national recruiting rankings, leaves the school with 27 commitments for its class of 2015. That number includes the Vols' 10 January enrollees. The class might still grow by signing day.

I believe we have 5 DEs currently committed. I'd like to see a couple more OLs committed and signed by NSD.

What we need the most are DBs that cover well and hit hard. We've got too many wusses in the secondary that are afraid to hit, and they don't cover well either.

Originally posted by 2u0s0c1:

this afternoon.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/vols/2015/01/21/marques-ford-decommits-tennessee/22123845/?hootPostID=%5B%27%5B%22%5B%5C%2777c94a9ab906604b36416ca5c6c4038f%5C%27%5D%22%5D%27%5D

Frank LaRosa, who coached the defensive end at East Bay High School near Tampa, Fla., said Ford received a call from Tennessee defensive line coach Steve Stripling on Wednesday - exactly two weeks before national signing day.

"It's an ugly business," LaRosa said. " … In the nasty business, they kept it sort of honest by at least saying that they had other commits and they were pulling his commitment."

Stripling passed along word that because of a crowded class, Ford, who has a four-star rating from recruiting services, would not be able to play for the Vols this fall.

TENNESSEAN

Tennessee assistant athletics director for media relations Jason Yellin said he was not aware of Ford's decommitment.

LaRosa said Ford had been excited to play for Tennessee since committing in July. He chose the Vols over offers from dozens of schools, including Wisconsin, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, according to 247sports.com.

"He enjoyed his time on the campus and really liked it and thought that was going to be a fit for four years," LaRosa said.

Ford (6-4, 230) cited "circumstances" on his Twitter account as the reason he was no longer committed to Tennessee.
This post was edited on 1/21 10:48 PM by 2u0s0c1[/QUOTE] Now, if we can get to the point where we have to chase away 4* recruits because we have some that are better, we will be cooking. Think about it. At this point a kid is only verballed. A kid can change his commit on signing day if he wants to. Why cant a coach make a decision 2 weeks before signing day if he wants to?

Originally posted by 2u0s0c1:

this afternoon.

TENNESSEAN

This post was edited on 1/21 10:48 PM by 2u0s0c1[/QUOTE] I'd say 5* Kyle Phillips at about 260 had something to do with that decision. Great! Now they have 2 270lb DE and a 340 lb DT that can push a dumpster. Just wonderful.

Love the "Ford Decommits" stuff. Really? That usually happens when a team pulls their offer. That is like the girlfriend saying, "No, I left you, you didn't leave me".

If this were Spurrier doing this to a South Carolina player, all of hell would break loose. This coach is saying, "at least they were honest". Glad to see someone mature about the situation. This kid will land somewhere else with no problems, and hopefully at an SEC school where he will get the opportunity to get payback. Gives you a different perspective to recruits playing the recruiting game, when you see them getting screwed over.

Tennessee is building back at the pace of an army of ants. Our program was built on the pace of a government project. I hope 2014 was just a bump in the road. Because what would suck more than never winning would be to win for several years like we did, get to Atlanta only once, then be cast back to the cellar while our Rivals rise back up and things go back to the way they used to be.

Originally posted by coastguardcock:

Love the "Ford Decommits" stuff. Really? That usually happens when a team pulls their offer. That is like the girlfriend saying, "No, I left you, you didn't leave me".

If this were Spurrier doing this to a South Carolina player, all of hell would break loose. This coach is saying, "at least they were honest". Glad to see someone mature about the situation. This kid will land somewhere else with no problems, and hopefully at an SEC school where he will get the opportunity to get payback. Gives you a different perspective to recruits playing the recruiting game, when you see them getting screwed over.
At 230 as a DE it's not real surprising he was asked to look into other opportunities. If you aren't at least 250lbs and strong coming in as a DE, there is no way you will make it. Take UT's Barnett, FR, 270. Beast. It's a game of brawn folks. Brawn wins.

Originally posted by SCcocks4ever:

Originally posted by GamecockWarrior:
Going to Rutgers.
Hey Warrior any idea if we have a good chance at landing the transfer from Wake? Sounds like he could really help us out.
We have a shot...between us, A&M and Miss. State...but if I had to guess I say he goes elsewhere.

Word is he almost committed to A&M on his visit there.

But Pellage and Bailey were working him hard this weekend so we are at least in the game with him.

This post was edited on 1/25 2:47 AM by GamecockWarrior

Going to Rutgers.
Hey Warrior any idea if we have a good chance at landing the transfer from Wake? Sounds like he could really help us out.
We have a shot...between us, A&M and Miss. State...but if I had to guess I say he goes elsewhere.

But Pellage and Bailey were working him hard this weekend so we are at least in the game with him.

Thanks. From what little I have been able to find out the kid should be an instant starter if we got him.

Going to Rutgers.

Thanks. From what little I have been able to find out the kid should be an instant starter if we got him.
No problem. Seems based on comments made today we may have a better shot than I once thought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT