ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Game - Hurricane Florence

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
I know we play UGa today, but don’t worry...me peeking ahead will not have any impact on our performance this afternoon.

Looking to next week, I think there is a decent chance this game isn’t played with Tropical Storm Florence projected to make a direct hit on the SC coast Thursday. These projections are always exaggerated but if the storm does stay on the path (they rarely do and move north) it could impact travel, and cause flooding.

We need to beat Georgia today. But either way, next week’s game is terrifying coming off an emotional game today. Win and get no credit. Lose and the nation takes notice. Add in this storm distraction and it’s scary stuff. These are the games that make no sense to me. Schedule a snoozer or a Power 5 opponent. These guys are just dangerous.

I know we play UGa today, but don’t worry...me peeking ahead will not have any impact on our performance this afternoon.

Looking to next week, I think there is a decent chance this game isn’t played with Tropical Storm Florence projected to make a direct hit on the SC coast Thursday. These projections are always exaggerated but if the storm does stay on the path (they rarely do and move north) it could impact travel, and cause flooding.

We need to beat Georgia today. But either way, next week’s game is terrifying coming off an emotional game today. Win and get no credit. Lose and the nation takes notice. Add in this storm distraction and it’s scary stuff. These are the games that make no sense to me. Schedule a snoozer or a Power 5 opponent. These guys are just dangerous.

I was think about that too but I think it will move north of Myrtle Beach area...

Doubt it gets cancelled. Maybe played on Sunday like Georgia 2 years ago. Too much money involved and too difficult to find an opponent unless absolutely necessary.

It’s not impossible to be cancelled but highly unlikely would be my guess

Is it just me or is this “games being cancelled by tropical storms/hurricanes” a new phenomenon. I can’t remember any in the last 20 or so years until LSU 15 and Georgia 16. Now we got another one?
Several were cancelled in Florida just last year.

We're sitting on a high pressure front and they are predicting a storm way out in the Atlantic to hit us?

Is it just me or is this “games being cancelled by tropical storms/hurricanes” a new phenomenon. I can’t remember any in the last 20 or so years until LSU 15 and Georgia 16. Now we got another one?

Always had the scare. But don’t see schools playing games in Hurricane Floyd like we did in the past. I think decision makers try to prepare ahead so they’ll move or cancel games in anticipation of these storms. If it were a conference game, I’m sure accommodations would be made. But being a non-conference game I feel it’s more at risk if projections are correct, which they rarely are. Travel has a lot to do with this. And moving the game to another day provides other issues. That decision would need to be made in advance.

Reactions: debordieu cock
I’m referring to our games. I can’t remember a game being cancelled or even a threat of one being cancelled until fairly recently

Only game I can recall being cancelled before games you mentioned was Urban Meyer’s Bowling Green team following Sept 11th, obviously not due to weather. We rescheduled Wofford that year before the Clemson game to get in 11 games.

Honestly, what are the odds right now this is played? I don’t see them going through the trouble to play this on a Sunday or different location being a non-conference game. I think saturday is the only option. If not, I’m sure we’d find someone in our off week to schedule...like a SC State or someone who is open.

Last edited:
Since the storm should be in Columbia early Thursday, why should it affect the game?

Here’s a recent timeline from the National Hurricane Center:
link

At this point the only prediction for rain in Columbia is late Wednesday and all day Thursday. It's still looking like a direct hit to Wilmington. But we just have to wait and see.

You posted before I could. Fat finger typing for me.

Since the storm should be in Columbia early Thursday, why should it affect the game?

Here’s a recent timeline from the National Hurricane Center:
link

Storm that moved the LSU game left flooding. Also could move north and impact travel for Marshall. I’m guessing we’ll play as scheduled. But it does seem like plans are altered for games much more now than they used to be. I figure the storm will shift further north...just because it seems like that’s what typically happens.

If it takes that path there will be power outages, water shortages, etc. No game would be played if a category 2 or higher took that path. Irma was a 1 last year and we didn’t have power for 4 days. They can’t have a game with less cops, no water, etc. unless they played in an empty stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art__Vandelay
The forecast for it is to be at least a tropical storm hovering over the Raleigh area at 2 a.m. Saturday, but the "cone" to be covering all of North and South Carolina.

Being in the right side of the eye brings the most winds. At least that’s what we are always told. Storm tends to stay intact more on that side of the storm due to the cyclical movement. So the further north it goes the better for SC as far as winds but still a lot of rain and enough wind to cause damage.

Just saw it was upgraded to a category 4. It’ll lose strength as it approaches the coast but probably looking at a 2-3 wherever it actually hits.

I have plans to come to this game from WV but I'm honestly not sure it's worth it. Unless. I take a longer route around it might not be worth coming. So I could potentially have 2 extra tickets to the game. Lower section 20. They are mobile Tix so when I receive them I could send. If anyone knows of anyone who needs tix please let me know. I'm going to keep an eye on the weather but not sure I'll make it. I paid $46 per ticket but I'll give someone a deal on tjem if that happens.

I have plans to come to this game from WV but I'm honestly not sure it's worth it. Unless. I take a longer route around it might not be worth coming. So I could potentially have 2 extra tickets to the game. Lower section 20. They are mobile Tix so when I receive them I could send. If anyone knows of anyone who needs tix please let me know. I'm going to keep an eye on the weather but not sure I'll make it. I paid $46 per ticket but I'll give someone a deal on tjem if that happens.

The travel through that path is almost certainly going to have some difficulties. People are going to evacuate eventually and it’ll create a mess on the roads you would be traveling. Unless you are flying.

We're sitting on a high pressure front and they are predicting a storm way out in the Atlantic to hit us?
Weathermen (and women) doing their thing to be relevant.. They want AIR TIME!! Now having said that could handle seeing more of this..
giphy.gif

To be fair this Hurricane at this point is a first one like it type storm for the Carolinas. Imagine a more powerful Hugo that stalls. Wherever this sucker comes in there will be devastation. Catastrophic type flooding and damage in a wide ranging area. This is a 1 in a hundred year type storm.

To be fair this Hurricane at this point is a first one like it type storm for the Carolinas. Imagine a more powerful Hugo that stalls. Wherever this sucker comes in there will be devastation. Catastrophic type flooding and damage in a wide ranging area. This is a 1 in a hundred year type storm.

I don't want to hear this.

Reactions: Gaimcock
No, it's the same as Hugo. Hugo was category 4 until landfall and dropped to 135 mph with the eye on land. They are virtually identical at this point, with 145 mph winds projected just before landfall. It appears to be moving slower, so there will be worse damage due to lingering winds and rain, but it isn't more powerful.

No, it's the same as Hugo. Hugo was category 4 until landfall and dropped to 135 mph with the eye on land. They are virtually identical at this point, with 145 mph winds projected just before landfall. It appears to be moving slower, so there will be worse damage due to lingering winds and rain, but it isn't more powerful.
Hugo was also still a strong tropical storm when it hit Richmond. My aunt and uncle had a great deal of damage at their house (near Hugenot Bridge).

Reactions: chick75

Hugo hit land in Charleston not Wilmington, not identical.

SC schools, at least as far inland as the Columbia area, are closing for the rest of this week. My wife is a teacher in Lexington 2, they are being told closed indefinitely. My daughter works for the state in Columbia. Her agency is closed tomorrow, possibly all week as well.

My wife's best friend is married to a SC game warden. He has already been ordered to the coast and told to expect to be gone a full week.

Hugo’s fiercest winds assaulted McClellanville, a small fishing village of 500 residents 40 miles north of Charleston.
There were inland towns that got hit harder than Charleston by virtue of what you cited. Towns like Sumter, Camden, and Lancaster got slammed.

You are totally wrong! When hugo came to shore it moved through 5 states in 24 hours. This one is stalling and only moving 100-150 miles the first 24 hour period. Hugo was wind damage and this is water. 2 vastly different systems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT