ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Game - Hurricane Florence

You are totally wrong! When hugo came to shore it moved through 5 states in 24 hours. This one is stalling and only moving 100-150 miles the first 24 hour period. Hugo was wind damage and this is water. 2 vastly different systems.
Again, he is speaking to the strength of the storms being similar, i.e both cat 4s.
Re the bolded: he basically says the exact same thing in his last sentence(s).

Reactions: Gaimcock
I'm watching the Weather Channel in Denver, Co. and the Governor of SC has been on TV saying it's going to be a huge inconvenience to a lot of South Carolinian's but proper precautions must be taken. When I heard that I immediately got on Gamecock Central to get a feel for how the game was going to be affected.

Erik Kimrey was on 107.5 saying he didn’t think much high school football would be played in the state this week. I say there is a 25% chance we don’t play saturday.

Hugo's forward movement was nearly 30 miles per hour at landfall.

Florence's forward movement is 13 mile per hour, for now.

Hugo came through like a runaway freight train.

Walloped the smaller towns mentioned above then slammed Charlotte and Richmond.

Good luck.

Be safe.

Go Cocks!

Hugo was also still a strong tropical storm when it hit Richmond. My aunt and uncle had a great deal of damage at their house (near Hugenot Bridge).

$10,000 in damages to my cousin's house in Gastonia, NC. Horrible memories from here in Camden. I didn't even count up the damages.

GOCOCKS! BEATMARSHALL!

You are totally wrong! When hugo came to shore it moved through 5 states in 24 hours. This one is stalling and only moving 100-150 miles the first 24 hour period. Hugo was wind damage and this is water. 2 vastly different systems.
You are confusing the speed the eye is traveling versus the power of the storm. Florence is projected to be 145mph just before making landfall, which is essentially IDENTICAL to Hugo.

What you are addressing is the speed of the eye travelling across the land. This is a function of weather patterns ahead of the storm which affect direction and speed of eye movement.

145mph winds equals 145mph winds. Two different hurricanes with the same wind speed have identical destructive force. All hurricanes start dying after landfall, without water to feed it. Land terrain and typography drags the wind speed down.

A high pressure front is anticipated to slow Florence and it will sit on NC and Virginia for a couple days. Hugo had nothing impeding it and it raced up the Appalachian mountains into the Ohio Valley.

Hugo had hurricane force winds about two hundred miles inland. Florence will likely be below hurricane force winds before reaching Raleigh, however, the Fayetteville vicinity will get catastrophic wind damage because 75mph(plus) wind for an hour (plus) is worse than 100mph wind for 15 minutes. Same effect as rain saturation in one place for hours. Not good.

Wind damage should be more devastating for Florence's condensed area of affect, but Hugo's area of damage incurred will be far, far greater. Tree root saturation with sustained winds will take a horrible toll on the trees near Fayetteville.

Erik Kimrey was on 107.5 saying he didn’t think much high school football would be played in the state this week. I say there is a 25% chance we don’t play saturday.

After reading official announcement from USC about campus being closed this week I’m changing to 75% we don’t play saturday.

Didn

Didn’t Hugo hit at high tide which caused a ginormous storm surge? I thought Hugo canecwith lots of water damage as well as wind.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Who??? What, she some ol' gal you dated back in the 50's or so ain't she??

=;-p
:DWell, she's a Category 4 storm that made landfall below Charleston in 1959. Pretty devastating, especially in the Beaufort area. She had one of the most dramatic course changes on record, having curved back out to sea, and then turning again before coming onshore. So, she was fickle.

The storm will be moving North towards Virginia!!when will Marshall travel to Columbia? This game could very well get cancelled!

The thing keeps getting projected farther north. Please leave our Saturday night game at Willy B, alone! May have beaten UGA 2 yrs, ago if that game had been on Saturday night, Just tell people that if it`s not safe for them to travel then stay at home and watch it on TV. Then give a whole lot of tickets away.

Reactions: cockofdawn
You are confusing the speed the eye is traveling versus the power of the storm. Florence is projected to be 145mph just before making landfall, which is essentially IDENTICAL to Hugo.

What you are addressing is the speed of the eye travelling across the land. This is a function of weather patterns ahead of the storm which affect direction and speed of eye movement.

145mph winds equals 145mph winds. Two different hurricanes with the same wind speed have identical destructive force. All hurricanes start dying after landfall, without water to feed it. Land terrain and typography drags the wind speed down.

A high pressure front is anticipated to slow Florence and it will sit on NC and Virginia for a couple days. Hugo had nothing impeding it and it raced up the Appalachian mountains into the Ohio Valley.

Hugo had hurricane force winds about two hundred miles inland. Florence will likely be below hurricane force winds before reaching Raleigh, however, the Fayetteville vicinity will get catastrophic wind damage because 75mph(plus) wind for an hour (plus) is worse than 100mph wind for 15 minutes. Same effect as rain saturation in one place for hours. Not good.

Wind damage should be more devastating for Florence's condensed area of affect, but Hugo's area of damage incurred will be far, far greater. Tree root saturation with sustained winds will take a horrible toll on the trees near Fayetteville.

tenor.gif

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
Hugo's forward movement was nearly 30 miles per hour at landfall.

Florence's forward movement is 13 mile per hour, for now.

Hugo came through like a runaway freight train.

Walloped the smaller towns mentioned above then slammed Charlotte and Richmond.

Good luck.

Be safe.

Go Cocks!
My daughters High School game will be played Thursday

Too many law enforcement officers other places. Play it Sunday or even Monday.
I think they are going to be able to redeploy some people. Alarm has generated some extreme decisions. They are understandable, but look to be more and more excessive. I would have done some of the same things if the responsibility were mine, but there is still opportunity for modification.

$10,000 in damages to my cousin's house in Gastonia, NC. Horrible memories from here in Camden. I didn't even count up the damages.

GOCOCKS! BEATMARSHALL!
My grandparents lived in Camden at the time, on Mt. Zion Road on the Cassatt side of town. Daddy had to literally cut his way to their house once he got off the interstate at exit 98. He said there were lots of folks out on the back roads with chainsaws trying to get to family. Thankfully we only lost one of the 4 oaks in the front yard, and it fell away from the house.

Reactions: chick75
Anyone know if or when they will make an official announcement? I'm thinking I probably shouldn't chance coming down there.

Anyone know if or when they will make an official announcement? I'm thinking I probably shouldn't chance coming down there.
Knowing the Athletic Department, not until the very last minute.

In all honesty, until we know just how hard we're hit, we have no way of knowing what resources will be needed where. It will also depend on when they do the lane reversal to get people back. Troopers will be needed for that.

Hugo’s fiercest winds assaulted McClellanville, a small fishing village of 500 residents 40 miles north of Charleston.

sometin' smells fishy here, i think he's a pisces workin' for scale
Knowing the Athletic Department, not until the very last minute.

In all honesty, until we know just how hard we're hit, we have no way of knowing what resources will be needed where. It will also depend on when they do the lane reversal to get people back. Troopers will be needed for that.

hey, if we can play after hugo.............just sayin'

Yes, in Charleston and MCVL especially.
Yep, and two years later, McClellanville was still in bad shape. In fact, it looked like it had been nuked. Just a lot of flat open area that used to be covered w/ pines and oaks.

Last edited:
They do keep bumpin the storm north, little by little. Two days ago they had the center hitting Myrtle Beach. Now it is up to Wilmington. But the wide path is still going to cause a mess for everybody. And once this thing hits land some of the models actually have the storm turning back south towards the upper part of SC. As slow as it is, when it does hit land it is just going to sit and spin for a couple days. If it continues it's trek north, they may play Saturday night. But hard to imagine unless it just about totally misses SC altogether. All of the needed law enforcement will be sent to the areas of need with the storm. Huge problem. The high school games, at least for on the middle of the state to the coast are already cancelled as they have closed the schools for the rest of the week. I would imagine the upstate will follow suit. At this point I would say there is about a 10% chance the game is ayed Saturday. Of course you never know. UNC ayed through that same tropical storm that caused so many issues in Columbia a couple years back. The upstate got like a foot of rain and Clemson still played Notre Dame. So you never know.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Yep, and two years later, McClellanville was still in bad shape. In fact, it looked like it had been nuked. Just a lot of flat open area that used to be covered w/ pines and oaks.

(dont know if the town council has changed its approach) , but a large part of this was due to mcclellanville decision to control growth,.....this was done pre hugo, it had to w/ insurance requirements for new construction and the limitations on gettin' insurance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT