ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall to Bama?

Originally posted by jackrabbit slim:
If this happens, they will become successful. We will look like even bigger idiots. Thanks Hyman.
Corrected that first part for you. I won't comment on the second part.

the-office-20.gif

This post was edited on 3/23 2:16 PM by ipull4usc

North Carolina??? Texas??? I don't think Alabama is on Marshall's Plan. Now if we are not trying at this moment to hire Anthony Grant as an assistant we are NEGLIGENT!
This post was edited on 3/23 2:50 PM by simms2000

Marshall's Plan

Please Mr. Marshall, take the Alabama job. We need your adorers on GC to have an opportunity to throw rose petals at your feet as you walk onto the Colonial Life arena floor each year

This post was edited on 3/23 2:52 PM by bosoxcock

If this happens and they become successful, we will look like even bigger idiots. Thanks Hyman.
Hyman should wake up with a horse's head beside him.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by jerryusc:

If this happens and they become successful, we will look like even bigger idiots. Thanks Hyman.
laugh.r191677.gif
Yea you dumba$$ AD... you should be ashamed of yourself for hiring our current women's basketball coach. Win some, lose some.. that's what happens to people who are put in charge of making multi million dollar decisions

This post was edited on 3/23 4:04 PM by bosoxcock

Originally posted by bosoxcock:

laugh.r191677.gif
Yea you dumba$$ AD... you should be ashamed of yourself for hiring our current women's basketball coach. Win some, lose some.. that's what happens to people who are put in charge of making multi million dollar decisions

You think that's okay?

laugh.r191677.gif

So... you believe that Eric Hyman's hiring of Dawn Staley absolves him of blame in his handling of the men's basketball program? You actually believe that hiring Dawn Staley makes ALL of the following ok:
Claiming Dave Odom had a "warchest of credibility"Hanging on to Odom for at least a year too longNot hiring Gregg Marshall after Dave Odom was sackedHiring Darrin HorntanicClaiming that despite Horn's horrendous record, his teams were "subconsciously improving"Giving Horntanic an ill-advised 4th year (in which he went 2-14 in the SEC)Not hiring Gregg Marshall after Horntanic was axedSo... all of these mistakes are swept under the rug because Hyman hit a home run with Staley?

They may need to pony up $5million. Marshall can take his pick of a top job when it comes available (KU, UK, UNC, Duke, IU, etc). I cant see him going to Alabama to coach basketball. If he wants an SEC job with a good fanbase then he would probably hold out for the USC job. If he turned down UT, then no way he's going to Bama.

i guess anything can happen, but I'd be really surprised.

Originally posted by Cackdiesel:

laugh.r191677.gif

You think that's okay?

"Do I think that is okay".... When a boss ( President of SC in this case ) hires someone to be in charge, whether it be hiring or firing people, making other business decisions and the like, they have faith in that person. Since the future is not foreseeable, people hired to make such decisions, sometimes get it wrong.

If the person in charge could see into the future, all us decision makers would own an island in the Pacific. Decision makers make and sometimes lose millions in the stock market everyday..

There is a different in the one in charge and the person taking the order

This post was edited on 3/23 4:36 PM by bosoxcock

Originally posted by Cackdiesel:

laugh.r191677.gif

You think that's okay?

"Do I think that is okay".... When a boss ( President of SC in this case ) hires someone to be in charge, whether it be hiring or firing people, making other business decisions and the like, they have faith in that person. Since the future is not foreseeable, people hired to make such decisions, sometimes get it wrong.

If the person in charge could see into the future, all us decision makers would own an island in the Pacific. Decision makers make and sometimes lose millions in the stock market everyday..

There is a different in the one in charge and the person taking the order

My point is that people making millions of dollars need to be right a hell of a lot more than they are wrong. Win some, lose some is a poor attitude. You better be winning more than you lose if you expect to continue making millions.

And btw, I'm just commenting on your post. This has nothing to do with Tanner or anyone else at USC.

This post was edited on 3/23 4:36 PM by bosoxcock

Dave Odom had credibility he just couldn't take us to the next level. Horn must have lost his combination to his warchest. It's 2015, can't believe people are still brooding over this dead issue of not hiring Marshalll 8 years or so ago. Move on with your lives.

This post was edited on 3/23 4:48 PM by ReadR00ster

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:
Dave Odom had credibility he just couldn't take us to the next level. Horn must have lost his combination to his warchest.
It's 2015, can't believe people are still brooding over this dead issue of not hiring Marshalll 8 years or so ago. Move on with your lives.

This post was edited on 3/23 4:48 PM by ReadR00ster
I agree.. at first is was just aggravating to hear the comments about a coach at another school who just happened to coach in this state at one time.. then reaching new heights when Martin was being considered for the job.

Now I think its become comical, so the masochist in me now enjoy the ridiculous banner.

This post was edited on 3/23 5:12 PM by bosoxcock

Originally posted by Kmart84:
This is an article from last year on ESPN.com on what it would take for Marshall to leave Wichita St. Marshall's agent said in an article today that he gets around five calls a year trying to hire Marshall. UCLA couldn't lure him away and the agent said it would have to be something extraordinary. Not just money, Bama may find what it is.

https://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/99081/what-would-it-take-gregg-marshall
I don't believe Marshall will leave Wichita St for more money or "something extraordinary", whatever that means.

It will be interesting, if he does leave Wichita, will he go to a perceived "football school".. my money is on NO... but I could be wrong.

Marshall is "cock of the walk' at Wichita St and he loves that.

I would be completely surprised if he went to Alabama. I think he stays at WSU unless he can land a big time job. Coach K is 68, Roy Williams is 64 and Calipari acts as though he will not coach that long at UK. If he is happy where he is, he could keep producing and possibly only wait 5-6 years for one of those guys to retire or move on.

Originally posted by ipull4usc:

laugh.r191677.gif

So... you believe that Eric Hyman's hiring of Dawn Staley absolves him of blame in his handling of the men's basketball program? You actually believe that hiring Dawn Staley makes ALL of the following ok:

Claiming Dave Odom had a "warchest of credibility"

Hanging on to Odom for at least a year too long

Not hiring Gregg Marshall after Dave Odom was sacked

Hiring Darrin Horntanic

Claiming that despite Horn's horrendous record, his teams were "subconsciously improving"

Giving Horntanic an ill-advised 4th year (in which he went 2-14 in the SEC)

Not hiring Gregg Marshall after Horntanic was axedSo... all of these mistakes are swept under the rug because Hyman hit a home run with Staley?
n.
This post was edited on 3/23 6:35 PM by bosoxcock

Originally posted by ipull4usc:

laugh.r191677.gif

Claiming Dave Odom had a "warchest of credibility"
Hanging on to Odom for at least a year too long
Not hiring Gregg Marshall after Dave Odom was sacked
Hiring Darrin Horntanic
Claiming that despite Horn's horrendous record, his teams were "subconsciously improving"
Giving Horntanic an ill-advised 4th year (in which he went 2-14 in the SEC)
Not hiring Gregg Marshall after Horntanic was axedSo... all of these mistakes are swept under the rug because Hyman hit a home run with Staley?
1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

McGee hires Spurrier, Holtz and Tanner. and all worked well.....and oh Dave " NIT winner " Odom, not so good

Hyman hires Staley and that's worked out pretty good and hired Horn, a mistake

Leaders are hired by in this case the President of SC , and paid to make the hard decisions, some work out , some don't

Many AD' s before the aforementioned above have tried to hire the right basketball coach for the last 40 years to no avail

The USC job has been open several times and Marshall's name has never been mentioned by anyone other than fans as a possibility for the position. Marshall even let it be known he would like the job. More than one AD has passed on the opportunity to go after him, and has not even give him any consideration. The rumor has been out there for years that all the AD's were told that hiring Marshall was not an option and any contract for him would not be approved by the BOT. True or not, there is some reason that more than one AD never looked Marshall's way.

The USC job has been open several times and Marshall's name has never been mentioned by anyone other than fans as a possibility for the position. Marshall even let it be known he would like the job. More than one AD has passed on the opportunity to go after him, and has not even give him any consideration. The rumor has been out there for years that all the AD's were told that hiring Marshall was not an option and any contract for him would not be approved by the BOT. True or not, there is some reason that more than one AD never looked Marshall's way.
Kmart, you just hit it out of the park... I was hammered on this site when I brought it up just before the Martin hire and I've hesitated bringing it up again and will not discuss in detail because its useless., but you are correct

The USC job has been open several times and Marshall's name has never been mentioned by anyone other than fans as a possibility for the position. Marshall even let it be known he would like the job. More than one AD has passed on the opportunity to go after him, and has not even give him any consideration. The rumor has been out there for years that all the AD's were told that hiring Marshall was not an option and any contract for him would not be approved by the BOT. True or not, there is some reason that more than one AD never looked Marshall's way.Right after Horn was fired, the NCAA tournament was going on and there were a lot more than just fans saying that Marshall would be coach here. In fact Marshall was asked about it in an interview and he would not comment on it. Everyone thought he would be the next coach. We've all heard that he was asking for too much money but I don't know if it's ever been confirmed.

So will Marshall go to Bama?

Reasons Yes
In the South
Program is not in Shambles
7 of the top 9 players return for Bama
Money

Reasons No
6 of the top 8 players return for WSU
Top 2 players return
Bama's best player leaves
Bama's top 6 players this year are JRs or SRs (must hit the floor recruiting for future)
Bama plays football, and is a football factory
3 of WSU's top 8 players are Fr
Pay is not bad at WSU

I think he waits for one of the Basketball dream jobs to open up. He could make to NCAA every year right where he is.

I agree with Spartanspur. I think Gregg is waiting for something really special. I don't think AL is it. He seems to be very comfortable at WS. He can get good players and get to the NCAAs every year and wait until (in his opinion) the dream job comes along.

Incidently, I think Martin will be fine. He does need to follow Dawn's system of keeping the best in state.

Originally posted by SpartanSpur:
So will Marshall go to Bama?

Reasons Yes
In the South
Program is not in Shambles
7 of the top 9 players return for Bama
Money

Reasons No
6 of the top 8 players return for WSU
Top 2 players return
Bama's best player leaves
Bama's top 6 players this year are JRs or SRs (must hit the floor recruiting for future)
Bama plays football, and is a football factory
3 of WSU's top 8 players are Fr
Pay is not bad at WSU

I think he waits for one of the Basketball dream jobs to open up. He could make to NCAA every year right where he is.
Maybe Marshall already has his dream job, and going elsewhere would be a step down.

I can see Marshall at Indiana or maybe waiting three more seasons for the Syracuse job. He won't go to a football school. I'm not sure but I think Alabama might be a football school.

The only way he even considers Alabama is if they do indeed offer some type of "crazy money" like he referenced in an interview yesterday. He has moved himself into a position where he doesn't have to take a rebuilding job for a big raise. He is in line for a real big time basketball job. If I were Texas, I'd fire Barnes and hire him today. Could see him taking the Indiana job if Crean goes average again next year. Some say he is waiting on the UNC or Duke jobs, but I don't see him being a good personality fit for either place. Won't happen soon, but I could see him one day being in line at Kentucky. His personality, and style of play, would fit in perfect there.

Originally posted by Mox94:
The only way he even considers Alabama is if they do indeed offer some type of "crazy money" like he referenced in an interview yesterday. He has moved himself into a position where he doesn't have to take a rebuilding job for a big raise. He is in line for a real big time basketball job. If I were Texas, I'd fire Barnes and hire him today. Could see him taking the Indiana job if Crean goes average again next year. Some say he is waiting on the UNC or Duke jobs, but I don't see him being a good personality fit for either place. Won't happen soon, but I could see him one day being in line at Kentucky. His personality, and style of play, would fit in perfect there.
While I agree that he would fit in well at Kentucky he could be in for a long wait. I don't see any reason for Kentucky and Cal to part ways anytime soon. Meanwhile, Roy Williams and Coach K are both getting up in age. One of them will retire soon enough and I could see him being a Tarhole or a Pukie although you might be on to something with Barnes and Texas.

Let ask this???? The former Bama coach who they fired a couple years ago is the NC State Coach???

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

Let ask this???? The former Bama coach who they fired a couple years ago is the NC State Coach???
Bama didn't fire Gottfried for his on-court performance - it had to do with off-court actions (rumored to be with women in the athletic department that weren't his wife). That's why he was fired mid-season and out of coaching all-together for a few years before getting the NC State gig (things had to blow over).

Originally posted by ToddFlanders:

Bama didn't fire Gottfried for his on-court performance - it had to do with off-court actions (rumored to be with women in the athletic department that weren't his wife). That's why he was fired mid-season and out of coaching all-together for a few years before getting the NC State gig (things had to blow over).
Blow over????

Originally posted by ToddFlanders:

Blow over????
Ha. Freudian slip.

Originally posted by funktavious:

Originally posted by Mox94:
While I agree that he would fit in well at Kentucky he could be in for a long wait. I don't see any reason for Kentucky and Cal to part ways anytime soon. Meanwhile, Roy Williams and Coach K are both getting up in age. One of them will retire soon enough and I could see him being a Tarhole or a Pukie although you might be on to something with Barnes and Texas.
I can think of one reason Calipari might leave Kentucky: sooner or later, the NCAA always comes knocking. If Cal leaves a job, it's a pretty sure thing the NCAA will bring the hammer down in a year or two. That would still discourage Marshall from coaching there, however, so your point still stands.

ADVERTISEMENT