ADVERTISEMENT

Martin Presser

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
Cannot seem to find it anywhere but tweeted on Twitter. Anyway, says he did a sh### job coaching last year, then says its his one bad year in 29 years. Then criticizes media, admits he missed on recruits, has former players on video praising his extension, and is wearing William Morris Entertainment Sports hat (USC Connection?, agent?, messing with us?)

Dismisses social media out if hand while feeding it.

Says nothing different with bosses.

Then says....

Frank Martin: I’m an old offensive lineman. I don’t need hugs and kisses. I just need someone that says, “I need you.” @wachfox

Got to go do stuff, anyone want to pick it up at 930?

I appreciate how matter of fact Caslen is on Frank Martin.

I wouldn’t exactly call this “enthusiastic support.”

I translate it as “Put up or shut up.”

🎥 (@MikeABCColumbia)

pic.twitter.com/TRYvjpKGao

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
I appreciate how matter of fact Caslen is on Frank Martin.

I wouldn’t exactly call this “enthusiastic support.”

I translate it as “Put up or shut up.”

🎥 (@MikeABCColumbia)

pic.twitter.com/TRYvjpKGao

lol...

Reporter: "how much confidence do you have in Frank?"
Caslen: "his contract was extended for two years."

Also found it interesting that he said it was the right decision in the best interest of the University.

• Haha
Reactions: bflogger28
Martin: After they did get going again, he didn't have the fight after having Covid twice, couldn't say that publicly. #Gamecocks

• Haha
Year 30 of career and Year 10 at USC should likely be his curtain call regardless of the outcome.

Reminds me of that cinematic gem “Cocktails” where the bartender gives this sage piece of analysis...

“Everything ends badly, otherwise why would it end?”

This is a throwaway year for basketball.

Cannot seem to find it anywhere but tweeted on Twitter. Anyway, says he did a sh### job coaching last year, then says its his one bad year in 29 years. Then criticizes media, admits he missed on recruits, has former players on video praising his extension, and is wearing William Morris Entertainment Sports hat (USC Connection?, agent?, messing with us?)

Then says....

Frank Martin: I’m an old offensive lineman. I don’t need hugs and kisses. I just need someone that says, “I need you.” @wachfox

Give us back the $3MM.

I’m still torn on Martin. One one hand he took an absolute train wreck and put together the only final four run in school history and was within 4 points of the finals.

On the other hand there was no build on that. Even excluding this last season with all of the COVID issues the years prior haven’t been great.

And then there are things like this where he comes off as unlikable. I get that he’s trying to say this is an anomaly but it just comes off as obnoxiously defensive.

I still support Frank. This last year should be his final judgement here at USC. He took us to a Final Four, and he deserves a chance to turn it around.
He's had several years to turn it around. I just hope his coming back for another year doesn't have a major negative impact on our university, i.e., he has so much pressure on doing well that he becomes even more aggressive with the players in front of the fans. Possibly even punching one of them.

I've been critical of his court and coaching style, and these rambling pressers. Not to mention the lack of tournaments.. I will support him another year, and that means attending some games too. I think we all know the deal with him now, including him. Can we get the focus back on the team and the production? He has to coach his way back, not talk or philosoohize it.

I've been critical of his court and coaching style, and these rambling pressers. Not to mention the lack of tournaments.. I will support him another year, and that means attending some games too. I think we all know the deal with him now, including him. Can we get the focus back on the team and the production? He has to coach his way back, not talk or philosoohize it.
I don't know the deal. If he wins 15 games next year, is he staying or going? If we all know the deal, please elaborate.

We are going to have to go through the exact same thing next year unless he makes the NCAA or he wins less than 10 games.

Then says....

And outside of his NCAA Final Four appearance, his good year here was?...

I don't know the deal. If he wins 15 games next year, is he staying or going? If we all know the deal, please elaborate.

We are going to have to go through the exact same thing next year unless he makes the NCAA or he wins less than 10 games.

Right. What's the standard for progress coming off a 6-win season (Yes, we all know the circumstances surrounding those 6 wins). He could win 12 and argue, rightly, that we doubled our win total.

And outside of his NCAA Final Four appearance, his good year here was?...
I would argue that the years leading into the final four run, he was turning around a bad program and we did gradually progress in those years leading up to that. So on that front I think he has a point. Where I disagree is from 2018 to the present. I wouldn't claim those to be good years, sure we were competitive in conference play and ended with at least .500 record but I wouldn't quantify that as a good year this late in his tenure.

Reactions: cadcock
I would argue that the years leading into the final four run, he was turning around a bad program and we did gradually progress in those years leading up to that. So on that front I think he has a point. Where I disagree is from 2018 to the present. I wouldn't claim those to be good years, sure we were competitive in conference play and ended with at least .500 record but I wouldn't quantify that as a good year this late in his tenure.
I will say that the Frank Martin era post FF, has demonstrated that even hard nosed coaching cannot overcome the lack of recruiting elite players, a.k.a "blue chippers". Most recruiting analysts rate players by stars, and by elite players I mean 4* or 5* players. Other SEC teams recruit these players. ACC teams recruit these players. Even Clemson recruits these players. With the exception of AJ Lawson, have we signed an elite player (4* or 5*) since the FF run? I am not knocking our roster; they are all great athletes!

If we cannot sign one or two elite players in 2022, why would anyone think things will change? Coach has had years to work on his recruiting prowess. Let's see how the 2022 recruiting goes.

I understand it that financially it is in the best interest of USC not to waste $6 million in a buyout. As a Gamecock Basketball fan I want to see a competitive team, however.

Reactions: vacock#
I understand it that financially it is in the best interest of USC not to waste $6 million in a buyout. As a Gamecock Basketball fan I want to see a competitive team, however.

He needs a winning team that makes the tournament. Competitive isn’t going to cut it.

If Lawson, Bryant, and Cousinard all come back, combined with the guys he’s signed and the transfers, he’s going to have one of the most talented rosters he’s had at South Carolina... on paper.

Deploying that talent appropriately has been a challenge for Frank. He’s still talking about Seventh Woods coming back, which is silly. He has to answer for why that guy played at all last year, and what taking the ball out of Cousinard and Lawson’s hands did to this team. If Woods is back and playing at all, this team has no hope. I assume he is just being nice by mentioning his name at all. He also needs to move on from Cousinard if he can’t fix him. Don’t play Cousinard over Chico Carter, just because he’s a bigger body. Woods and Cousinard killed this team last year. Absolutely killed them. But Cousinard proved in 19/20 that he can play. Have to figure out what happened, but cut bait and don’t let him run this team into the ground. Guy thinks he’s an elite finisher at the rim and he is not.

If Frank can run different action for Bryant and Lawson, assuming both come back, and spread the floor with Chico, as a legit third scorer and three point threat, they have a chance. Figure out how two of Reese, Cousinard, and Stevenson can coexist in the second until. Which of those three could play with the crunch time guys if they go small.

I don’t have any faith in Frank at this point. The Woods stuff last year was just comically bad. That he kept letting Cousinard play them out of games was flat out awful. That said, I’d be interested to see what a competent coach could do with this roster— including Wright and Carter, who look like that can play as well. We’ll have to settle for Frank Martin though, never settling on a rotation, playing the wrong guys too much, running predictable action, switching between man and zone at the wrong time, and just generally being miserable.

• Love
Reactions: 92Pony

The deal is making the tournament. That's it. That's the only thing Tanner has consistently mentioned in his roundabout way.

No tournament in 2022, that's it.

Reactions: viennacocks
Excited for season coming up with the transfers we improved with every exchange

I will say that the Frank Martin era post FF, has demonstrated that even hard nosed coaching cannot overcome the lack of recruiting elite players, a.k.a "blue chippers". Most recruiting analysts rate players by stars, and by elite players I mean 4* or 5* players. Other SEC teams recruit these players. ACC teams recruit these players. Even Clemson recruits these players. With the exception of AJ Lawson, have we signed an elite player (4* or 5*) since the FF run? I am not knocking our roster; they are all great athletes!

If we cannot sign one or two elite players in 2022, why would anyone think things will change? Coach has had years to work on his recruiting prowess. Let's see how the 2022 recruiting goes.

Everyone wants a competitive product- if you had stepped up to stroke a $6MM check a couple weeks ago, he would be gone.

Can’t afford that? Neither can I. Neither can USC apparently. If we can fill stadiums and raise money between now and next year, we likely will be able to afford his buyout at $3MM following the upcoming season.

Everyone wants a competitive product- if you had stepped up to stroke a $6MM check a couple weeks ago, he would be gone.

Can’t afford that? Neither can I. Neither can USC apparently. If we can fill stadiums and raise money between now and next year, we likely will be able to afford his buyout at $3MM following the upcoming season.
If I stepped up to stroke a $6 million check, I would be insane. I would also have questions to answer when the check bounced. I did not make the silly $12 million buyout deal. Apparently, those that did escaped any accountability, just like those that "negotiated" the Muschamp deal.

I am all for ending the negativity and supporting the team. But, $1 million is a lot of money, and those that throw these amounts around like candy during moments of good feelings, need to treat it like it was their own money.

Reactions: F-86F
Frank was about as defensive as a coach can be in a defenseless situation. And Frank is laughing all the way to the bank. He knows they aren't serious enough about winning at USC, or they would have run him withing 15 minutes of the plane landing after the SEC tourney. He understands all too well that the focus of the inept leadership of the university is to go the cheapest route possible. They proved that with the football hire. It isn't about winning at a high level at USC. It is about promising fans hope for tomorrow, and keeping those donations rolling in and collecting that hefty SEC check while running mediocre programs

Scholarship Players: 13/13
PG: Chico Carter / Jacobi Wright
SG: Cous / Erik Stevenson / Devin Carter
SF: Bryant /James Reese
PF: AJ Wilson / Alonzo Frink / Woodly / Benson
C: Wildens Leveque / Minott

Walk-ons:
Nelson
Green
Cooper

One thing that Frank said puzzled me. He said they didn't even have a meeting room for 2.5 years. Are the basketball facilities that bad? What else do they not have that they need?
Their facilities are bad one of the worse in the sec and it’s not like football - a lot of mid majors have much better facilities than we do

Didn't they redo those a couple of years ago? I don't hear Staley complaining.
Redo as in painting it? Yeah sure hah. They are not good, that’s not up for a debate

I can’t imagine you thinking that women’s basketball facilities are as competitive as men’s basketball

I have not heard anything he said in the presser that was out of line. He took responsibility/ said his coaching last year was s***- it WAS. Said he knows he needs to win more- he DOES. He recounted facts about his accomplishments and said he loves being here, and that h knows we have paid him a ton of money to his job and he is ecstatic to still have a job here- he should be. Under normal circumstances a winning % like we had last year in year 9 would warrant a change. Under the circumstances at hand... I understand why we could not make a change. That is not defending him, that is just being realistic.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Scholarship Players: 13/13
PG: Chico Carter / Jacobi Wright
SG: Cous / Erik Stevenson / Devin Carter
SF: Bryant /James Reese
PF: AJ Wilson / Alonzo Frink / Woodly / Benson
C: Wildens Leveque / Minott

Walk-ons:
Nelson
Green
Cooper
I wonder what happens if Lawson decides to come back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT