ADVERTISEMENT

Martin Presser

IMO Coach Martin punked Carolina. Martins bosses wanted to fire him. He called in his political connections and got that changed. Carolina does not want Frank Martin to be the coach next year but we are stuck with him because of politics.
You don't have to like it and Martin could care less but you gotta live with it.
We all know this will end in a messy embarrassing way next year. As embarrassing as it is to see Coach Martin THIS YEAR basically strong arm his way into not being fired, next year I predict it is much worse and more public.
I hope I am wrong.

Their facilities are bad one of the worse in the sec and it’s not like football - a lot of mid majors have much better facilities than we do
Yeah, we're cheap. No argument there. That's why Frank gets another year, so it worked out for him in that sense.

Yeah, we're cheap. No argument there. That's why Frank gets another year, so it worked out for him in that sense.
For sure our basketball facilities are uniquely bad.

CLA is too big, not too nice, locker rooms have been the same for a decade

we don’t practice there so not a huge home court advantage

our practice facility is the old coliseum which is great for games but not so much for impressing recruits and has a brutalist architecture with subpar accommodations

we cheaped out on building a basketball building and did that instead

He needs a winning team that makes the tournament. Competitive isn’t going to cut it.

If Lawson, Bryant, and Cousinard all come back, combined with the guys he’s signed and the transfers, he’s going to have one of the most talented rosters he’s had at South Carolina... on paper.

Deploying that talent appropriately has been a challenge for Frank. He’s still talking about Seventh Woods coming back, which is silly. He has to answer for why that guy played at all last year, and what taking the ball out of Cousinard and Lawson’s hands did to this team. If Woods is back and playing at all, this team has no hope. I assume he is just being nice by mentioning his name at all. He also needs to move on from Cousinard if he can’t fix him. Don’t play Cousinard over Chico Carter, just because he’s a bigger body. Woods and Cousinard killed this team last year. Absolutely killed them. But Cousinard proved in 19/20 that he can play. Have to figure out what happened, but cut bait and don’t let him run this team into the ground. Guy thinks he’s an elite finisher at the rim and he is not.

If Frank can run different action for Bryant and Lawson, assuming both come back, and spread the floor with Chico, as a legit third scorer and three point threat, they have a chance. Figure out how two of Reese, Cousinard, and Stevenson can coexist in the second until. Which of those three could play with the crunch time guys if they go small.

I don’t have any faith in Frank at this point. The Woods stuff last year was just comically bad. That he kept letting Cousinard play them out of games was flat out awful. That said, I’d be interested to see what a competent coach could do with this roster— including Wright and Carter, who look like that can play as well. We’ll have to settle for Frank Martin though, never settling on a rotation, playing the wrong guys too much, running predictable action, switching between man and zone at the wrong time, and just generally being miserable.

I would have taken the ball out of Cousinard’s hands also. He was atrocious this year.

For sure our basketball facilities are uniquely bad.

CLA is too big, not too nice, locker rooms have been the same for a decade

we don’t practice there so not a huge home court advantage

our practice facility is the old coliseum which is great for games but not so much for impressing recruits and has a brutalist architecture with subpar accommodations

we cheaped out on building a basketball building and did that instead
Sure, but the CLA is perfect for Weezer concerts and monster truck rallies!

Yeah, it's a pretty lousy venue for basketball. But I'm sorry, I'm deeply skeptical that Frank's recruiting problems are largely a function of the facilities and not his style.

Anyone ask him about player departures
I don’t remember if anyone asked him pointedly about them, but I do remember him talking about the fact that we had 4 in the portal and how that was on the low end when compared to all other schools. Said there were 1500 or so
In the portal and he said he is predicting there will be 2k in it before this cycle is over. He said through conversations with players that was pretty sure that two of the ones who left would be entering and that’s why he signed 3 kids out of HS instead of just one.

Just get some good players in now so the next coach has something to work with.
We don't want another Darrin Horn nuking the program before next guy gets in.

Anyone ask him about player departures
Yeah he said he knew two were leaving at the start of the season, one of which was Minaya. He said he believed those in the draft Couisnard and Bryant will be back. He also stated that Lawson hasn't announced he's going to draft yet because this is his last chance to do so, if he announces to go he can't play college basketball anymore.

I would have taken the ball out of Cousinard’s hands also. He was atrocious this year.
in 19/20, Frank moved Cousinard to the primary ball handler role, and ran his action for Lawson and Bryant. He let Cousinard drive if he felt he could, or get the ball on the reverse action with the defense scrambling. There were a lot of games where this worked. Having Kotsar demand some attention also helped.

In 20/21, instead of building on Cousinard, Lawson and Bryant playing together, Frank introduced us to Seventh Woods. Seventh Woods, perhaps the worst player in college basketball getting double digit minutes a game. Frank let Woods run the ball and he deployed him at a 20 percent usage rate at nearly 20 minutes a game. Whatever chemistry Cousinard, Lawson and Bryant were building together died. Woods hurt the team every moment he was on the court. Cousinard completely lost his way.

Frank’s decision to bring in Woods and then play him, and keep playing him, is one of the worst decisions any South Carolina coach has ever made.

Reactions: 92Pony

Frank’s decision to bring in Woods and then play him, and keep playing him, is one of the worst decisions any South Carolina coach has ever made.
And *that's* saying something!! LOL!

Reactions: F-86F
in 19/20, Frank moved Cousinard to the primary ball handler role, and ran his action for Lawson and Bryant. He let Cousinard drive if he felt he could, or get the ball on the reverse action with the defense scrambling. There were a lot of games where this worked. Having Kotsar demand some attention also helped.

In 20/21, instead of building on Cousinard, Lawson and Bryant playing together, Frank introduced us to Seventh Woods. Seventh Woods, perhaps the worst player in college basketball getting double digit minutes a game. Frank let Woods run the ball and he deployed him at a 20 percent usage rate at nearly 20 minutes a game. Whatever chemistry Cousinard, Lawson and Bryant were building together died. Woods hurt the team every moment he was on the court. Cousinard completely lost his way.

No kidding The Woods thing is baffling.

People seem to forget we just barely got into the tournament that year. If we played like we did all season we'd have probably exited in the first round.

I find it ironic that Martin being unable to recruit Woods out of high school was consider one of his faults as a recruiter, but now that he got him it's his fault for playing him. Honestly PG play was bad all around and it was a matter of pick your poison. I think Hannibal was the best in the position but even then he was turnover machine as well.

I find it ironic that Martin being unable to recruit Woods out of high school was consider one of his faults as a recruiter, but now that he got him it's his fault for playing him. Honestly PG play was bad all around and it was a matter of pick your poison. I think Hannibal was the best in the position but even then he was turnover machine as well.
Hannibal will average I bet 14 points for Murray State. Turnovers is what killed him with Frank.

Reactions: Gamekem
People seem to forget we just barely got into the tournament that year. If we played like we did all season we'd have probably exited in the first round.
What do you mean, we were a 7 seed and considered a lock by most. I know some in the fan base were skeptical considering what happened in 2016 but we weren't even on the bubble in 2017.

According to the posters, it's not the Coach's fault his coaching and recruiting stink, it's USC facilities. I've been there many times and don't see how terrible it is. If you win, it is a great venue. If you put a bad product out there, they will not come. One thing they don't do is when there is a small crowd, bring everyone down to the lower bowl. I don't see why you can't practice where you play. There have got to be decent offices in that building. It can't be as bad as stated. Put the blame where it belongs. Bad recruiting and bad erratic coaching.

What do you mean, we were a 7 seed and considered a lock by most. I know some in the fan base were skeptical considering what happened in 2016 but we weren't even on the bubble in 2017.
"South Carolina, on the other hand, beat Florida and Michigan, both at home, and that is pretty much it for quality wins. The Gamecocks lost twice to Alabama and at Memphis, and really does not have a profile that indicates that they are a borderline top 25 team. However, the committee has them as the No. 26 team on the seed list."
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-bracket-grading-out-the-selection-committee/

"South Carolina, on the other hand, beat Florida and Michigan, both at home, and that is pretty much it for quality wins. The Gamecocks lost twice to Alabama and at Memphis, and really does not have a profile that indicates that they are a borderline top 25 team. However, the committee has them as the No. 26 team on the seed list."
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-bracket-grading-out-the-selection-committee/
Not really seeing any relevance to us barely making it. I don't see where we were on the bubble in any way. It seems pretty universal we were a lock.

According to the posters, it's not the Coach's fault his coaching and recruiting stink, it's USC facilities. I've been there many times and don't see how terrible it is. If you win, it is a great venue. If you put a bad product out there, they will not come. One thing they don't do is when there is a small crowd, bring everyone down to the lower bowl. I don't see why you can't practice where you play. There have got to be decent offices in that building. It can't be as bad as stated. Put the blame where it belongs. Bad recruiting and bad erratic coaching.

Found a video in the link below of the basketball facilities in the old Carolina Coliseum. This now houses the practice facility but also coaches offices, locker room, players lounge, basketball weight room, film room, etc. Looks pretty nice.

The Moss thing is baffling to me. Good kid, works hard, but turnover machine
Both Woods and Moss tried too many one-handed shovel type passes. Yes, you can do it occasionally, but to me it shows a lack of fundamentals. There were also timing issues with some passes and trying to thread the needle too much. We just were not very good passing or shooting team. None of the guards penetrated into the middle much and when they did the shot was usually blocked and no one was open. Opposing teams just didn't fear our outside game so kicking it back outside just didn't work. Without effective PG play guys like Bryant and Lawson had to create their own shot. Lawson has the shot but not the athleticism. Bryant has the athleticism but not the shooting ability.

It was clear after a few games that Woods was never going to be a PG. I'd have moved Cous back to PG and used Woods as a reserve at the 2 guard - or PG in a pinch. But I think Frank made a commitment to Seventh and felt like he had to keep his word.

Reactions: tngamecock#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT