ADVERTISEMENT

Martin: Sheppard, Theus won't return

Frank can't keep a roster intact. It's one reason why he is 15-41 in the SEC.

Gregg Marshall has a steady program with almost no defections.

Frank can't keep a roster intact. It's one reason why he is 15-41 in the SEC.

Gregg Marshall has a steady program with almost no defections.

Defections? Is that what you call it when we get rid of players who create problems and have to be suspended, or guys who have been in the program for 2 years without providing any meaningful contributions? These aren't defections. Defections are when players that you want to keep, leave your program, not when you cull out players to make room for better players.

Reactions: rpp2001
Defections? Is that what you call it when we get rid of players who create problems and have to be suspended, or guys who have been in the program for 2 years without providing any meaningful contributions? These aren't defections. Defections are when players that you want to keep, leave your program, not when you cull out players to make room for better players.

Frank should be ashamed for recruiting them or not coaching them up. Either way, it's Frank's fault.

It's probably hard to recruit against the more established programs after the mess we became. I still think Frank can get the job done, he just needs a couple of great players to build around. We have everything to offer except a winning tradition. This state doesn't produce enough players and we are not a great presence in the other states. You can change it in a year if you can get the right players. If you don't then it's the "same ole, same ole".

Getting quality players was tough at the outset. We took marginal players cause they were the only ones we could get at the time. USC wasn't exactly the epicenter of college basketball as some of you seem to think but you have to start somewhere. We appear to be in the process of upgrading our talent pool and Coach Martin and his staff have worked their buts off to sell a pee poor program He's the guy whose job is on the line and I suspect you'll be leading the pack. I say let him get the players that are better. If we can somehow get quality big men to establish an inside presence I think he'll make it the program we want.

Reactions: 21lattimore
As a former college basketball player I would have a hard time playing for Martin. I've had coaches cuss at me, yell at me and verbally degrade me and I know it's part of being an athlete. Sprain an ankle in practice get rolled of the court if you can' t limp off and another player comes in was part of practice. However, there's something about Martin that's not quite right.

It's probably hard to recruit against the more established programs after the mess we became. I still think Frank can get the job done, he just needs a couple of great players to build around. We have everything to offer except a winning tradition. This state doesn't produce enough players and we are not a great presence in the other states. You can change it in a year if you can get the right players. If you don't then it's the "same ole, same ole".

This. Staley had to do the same thing. Dozier is a program changer. Get in 7th Woods and we will start making the NCAAs every year because those types of players will keep coming. It's kind of a different ball game in women's though. The WNBA doesn't come and snatch up all the best players like the NBA does. The future is bright though.

It is not Coach Martins fault,ya best quit,because he is just weeding out the bad apples,tired of people that never have anything good to say!!

It will be used against him on the recruiting trail...

3 seasons, 0 postseason berths, 10 guys run out of town and 1 ugly suspension have defined his term at South Carolina.

You might like that he's weeding out the bad apples, but Steve Smith, Yasir Rosemond, Tony Jones, Desmond Oliver, Steve Woodberry, Antoine Pettway and Charlton Young will say the same thing when they meet up with any recruit that considers South Carolina. They will even do it in such a brief and nonchalant fashion that it will seem like an obvious fact that everyone knows and move into discussing other things.

This is not a big deal and has nothing to do with Frank as a coach. Transferring players from basketball teams is the new norm. In 2013 and 2014 there were over 1,100 players that transferred to new schools (687 last year alone - and there are only 351 teams total). Basically you can expect the lower players on pretty much every team to transfer a team that better fits their skill set. They would rather play than sit the bench.

This is good for everyone involved. The lower players get to go somewhere they can really contribute, and the school gets an open scholarship to hopefully recruit a higher level player.

Reactions: sully2
This is not a big deal and has nothing to do with Frank as a coach. Transferring players from basketball teams is the new norm. In 2013 and 2014 there were over 1,100 players that transferred to new schools (687 last year alone - and there are only 351 teams total). Basically you can expect the lower players on pretty much every team to transfer a team that better fits their skill set. They would rather play than sit the bench.

This is good for everyone involved. The lower players get to go somewhere they can really contribute, and the school gets an open scholarship to hopefully recruit a higher level player.

Sure, Theus could be a considered a "lower player." However, Henry was a two year starter, and Sheppard has only been here one season. Did the coaching staff not recognize Sheppard was a "lower player" when they signed him last year? I have to believe the reason Henry and Sheppard were shown the door was primarily disciplinary reasons. That's a more charitable interpretation than to suggest the coaching staff isn't very good at evaluating and developing recruits.

We will have a pretty good basketball team next season.

Some of you are awful confusing....mad when we don't win and then mad when coaches try to do what they have to do to win.

Make up your minds....

3 seasons, 0 postseason berths, 10 guys run out of town and 1 ugly suspension have defined his term at South Carolina.

You might like that he's weeding out the bad apples, but Steve Smith, Yasir Rosemond, Tony Jones, Desmond Oliver, Steve Woodberry, Antoine Pettway and Charlton Young will say the same thing when they meet up with any recruit that considers South Carolina. They will even do it in such a brief and nonchalant fashion that it will seem like an obvious fact that everyone knows and move into discussing other things.
I don't know about that. We've had steady, albeit slow improvement each year and the talent level seems to be rising. We should definitely be in the post season next year. I'm hoping for the NCAA's. We should at least be a bubble team.

Reactions: sully2
Great evaluation by King Martin. I'm ready for our Cusser-in-Chief to move back to MIA.

SNICKER.gif

I know you guys don't like Dukies on the board but I actually root for USC as well and PJ Dozier looks like he may single-handedly lead the Gamecocks to the postseason. He is a spectacular talent. Also, don't forget that UK lost out on a lot of recruits for the first time since CAL has been there (sure they still have the #2 class but a lot of the uncommitted AA players chose to go elsewhere during the spring signing period) so they will take a major step back next season; to go along with UF having to replace Donovan. USC could be one of the better teams in the SEC next season.

If y'all didn't see these coming, you are blind as a bat. We are bringing in a couple players, Dozier and Silva, that will be better than any of these departing guys the day they set foot on campus.

Frank should be ashamed for recruiting them or not coaching them up. Either way, it's Frank's fault.
Okay, this is unrealistic. First of all, individual players only have a certain unique amount of limited potential. Players can only be "coached up" so far. The second thing is. Players with a lot of potential are not trying to break down our door because of the state of our program. This team will never become an success overnight. It's going to take slow steady progress. I know and understand that Marshall is not our coach, but you can't put all that on Martin. It's not his fault the pooch got screwed on that one. He is just doing his best to clean up the mess.

Who the heck are these guys? I think we can trust Frank Martin to make the proper decisions.

Again, Frank inherited a HUGE mess when he got here. It will take several years to get this ship turned around.

Is a Ga basketball fan really giving out coaching advice? really?

Is he getting rid of bad seeds in order to make room or is he just cleaning up some messes (he made by recruiting the wrong guys)? I hope it's the former.

ADVERTISEMENT