ADVERTISEMENT

Masks and WWI

MowerDave

Jun 10, 2020
At one point, I was leaning to the side of personal freedom and not wearing a mask. Though I fully understood the science behind it, my inner urges for individual rights pushed me that way. I have come to change my thinking on this. Don't get me wrong, I still hate wearing my face mask. It's hot and humid here and wearing the mask sucks. I feel stupid wearing one. I think it's overkill. But it's the logical thing to do.

1. Not everything the government tells you to do is bad. This has become the attitude of many. It doesn't matter what it is, if the government says to do it, we just don't want to do it. I get it. The government has given us good reason to feel this way. The government tells us to do lots of dumb things and makes lots of dumb changes (here's looking at you gas cans). We get programmed to think those in the government don't know anything, and that is largely the case. Our instinct is to want to do the opposite of what they tell us to do. However, this isn't one of those things. My state government forces me to carry car insurance, but car insurance is a good thing. I'm not going to refuse to do a good and sensible thing just because government said I should do it. That would be shallow thinking.

2. If you REALLY want things to get back to normal: wear a mask. We can preach all we want about the low mortality rate of this virus and how things have been overblown. However, the simple reality is that things will not go back to normal until the infection numbers are way down. Wearing masks facilitates accomplishing that goal. It's a pointless waste of time to argue on the one hand that we need to just get back to normal while on the other refusing to wear a mask. It's a total waste of breath. If you REALLY want college football back this fall, wear a mask. Simple as that.

3. Fauci lied, so what? I doubt I'm the only one suffering from Fauci fatigue. The revelation that he lied about the need for face masks in order to keep them from suffering the same fate as toilet paper was the least surprising bit of news I've ever heard. He's a bureaucrat. None of that changes the science behind wearing face masks. I don't really care what Fauci says. I certainly am not wearing a face mask because he says I should; I do it because it makes sense.

4. It really is a small thing. Here, we come to WWII. Back in WWII, Americans made all kinds of sacrifices for the war effort. Many items and good were rationed. People voluntarily participated in blackout drills. It was a huge effort and no arms had to be twisted. People lined up to offer their help in any small way they could. People were proud to give up certain goods in the sake of the war effort. Ration books were given out with stamps that could be used to buy a variety of items like sugar, meat, canned goods, etc (can you imagine doing that today?!?!). Wearing a face mask PALES in comparison to that kind of sacrifice. This ties back into #2. Again, you may think this is all unnecessary for a virus with a low mortality rate, but it's the way back to normalcy. If wearing face masks is all we have to do to really snuff this virus out, then why wouldn't we all do it?

Here on the coast, nearly all towns have gone to mandatory masks in places of business. Ok that might slow this thing down a bit. But I'd feel like we are actually addressing the problem if we could all get the kids to protect themselves when they go out with their buddies. Because what's next? Wearing a mask at home?

Here on the coast, nearly all towns have gone to mandatory masks in places of business. Ok that might slow this thing down a bit. But I'd feel like we are actually addressing the problem if we could all get the kids to protect themselves when they go out with their buddies. Because what's next? Wearing a mask at home?

Putting on a mask is like putting on condone...

It's for your protection to stop the spread of AIDS, VD, etc...

At one point, I was leaning to the side of personal freedom and not wearing a mask. Though I fully understood the science behind it, my inner urges for individual rights pushed me that way. I have come to change my thinking on this. Don't get me wrong, I still hate wearing my face mask. It's hot and humid here and wearing the mask sucks. I feel stupid wearing one. I think it's overkill. But it's the logical thing to do.

1. Not everything the government tells you to do is bad. This has become the attitude of many. It doesn't matter what it is, if the government says to do it, we just don't want to do it. I get it. The government has given us good reason to feel this way. The government tells us to do lots of dumb things and makes lots of dumb changes (here's looking at you gas cans). We get programmed to think those in the government don't know anything, and that is largely the case. Our instinct is to want to do the opposite of what they tell us to do. However, this isn't one of those things. My state government forces me to carry car insurance, but car insurance is a good thing. I'm not going to refuse to do a good and sensible thing just because government said I should do it. That would be shallow thinking.

2. If you REALLY want things to get back to normal: wear a mask. We can preach all we want about the low mortality rate of this virus and how things have been overblown. However, the simple reality is that things will not go back to normal until the infection numbers are way down. Wearing masks facilitates accomplishing that goal. It's a pointless waste of time to argue on the one hand that we need to just get back to normal while on the other refusing to wear a mask. It's a total waste of breath. If you REALLY want college football back this fall, wear a mask. Simple as that.

3. Fauci lied, so what? I doubt I'm the only one suffering from Fauci fatigue. The revelation that he lied about the need for face masks in order to keep them from suffering the same fate as toilet paper was the least surprising bit of news I've ever heard. He's a bureaucrat. None of that changes the science behind wearing face masks. I don't really care what Fauci says. I certainly am not wearing a face mask because he says I should; I do it because it makes sense.

4. It really is a small thing. Here, we come to WWII. Back in WWII, Americans made all kinds of sacrifices for the war effort. Many items and good were rationed. People voluntarily participated in blackout drills. It was a huge effort and no arms had to be twisted. People lined up to offer their help in any small way they could. People were proud to give up certain goods in the sake of the war effort. Ration books were given out with stamps that could be used to buy a variety of items like sugar, meat, canned goods, etc (can you imagine doing that today?!?!). Wearing a face mask PALES in comparison to that kind of sacrifice. This ties back into #2. Again, you may think this is all unnecessary for a virus with a low mortality rate, but it's the way back to normalcy. If wearing face masks is all we have to do to really snuff this virus out, then why wouldn't we all do it?
This is well reasoned and very well put together. I regret that I have but 1 thumbs up to give you for this.

What is with the increase in conspiracy theorists lately? My wife was telling me about these people from high school on Facebook that think masks are some government conspiracy. The internet is making dumber people dumber.
Damn!! You're married!! Had no idea, nor care really! Just sayin' poor gal (uhh, you're wife/better half that is!! :p:D:cool:RollLaugh

Just kiddin', just kiddin'!!!

Hope ALL is well w/ U & SHE!!!

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
Masks are stupid and so are people who wear surgical gloves.
I'm assuming this is a joke but if not next time you have surgery you can let your doctor know he doesn't have to wear a mask or gloves...Now I will admit I don't get the wearing of the gloves. That does no good unless you are changing them every time you touch something.

I'm assuming this is a joke but if not next time you have surgery you can let your doctor know he doesn't have to wear a mask or gloves...Now I will admit I don't get the wearing of the gloves. That does no good unless you are changing them every time you touch something.

okay, we went from talking about walking outside and in crowds to surgery? Wtf, that’s not even remotely close, no mentioning that a surgical room is SANITIZED; along with everything in the room.

I’m going to give you a pass/re-do.

okay, we went from talking about walking outside and in crowds to surgery? Wtf, that’s not even remotely close, no mentioning that a surgical room is SANITIZED; along with everything in the room.

I’m going to give you a pass/re-do.
Okey dokey...bottom line is this...It's a medical fact that masks prevent the spread of viruses. This can't be debated.

Okey dokey...bottom line is this...It's a medical fact that masks prevent the spread of viruses. This can't be debated.

Sure it can. Masks have shown to reduce transmission distance in certain situations. That's the extent of it. Your eyes, ears, skin are all susceptible as well.

IMO, masks should be limited to places that provide the necessities only - grocery stores, drug stores, post office and maybe church. Optional destinations such as restaurants, gyms, etc....No chance.

Hypercapnia can suppress immune function through its inhibition of the NFκB pathway. Do you believe the CDC/NIH/WHO has your best interests at heart on this topic?

Sure it can. Masks have shown to reduce transmission distance in certain situations. That's the extent of it. Your eyes, ears, skin are all susceptible as well.

IMO, masks should be limited to places that provide the necessities only - grocery stores, drug stores, post office and maybe church. Optional destinations such as restaurants, gyms, etc....No chance.

Hypercapnia can suppress immune function through its inhibition of the NFκB pathway. Do you believe the CDC/NIH/WHO has your best interests at heart on this topic?
Let me rephrase it...Masks protect other people from myself if I'm wearing a mask. Obviously if you are wearing the mask wrong it does you no good. Masks should be required in high volume places, you can determine what that means. There are numerous ways to have hypercapnia, but wearing a mask several hours a day won't do that unless you have underlying raspatory problems to begin with...in which case you shouldn't go out unless absolutely necessary. It's the job of the CDC/NIH/WHO to inform the public of infectious diseases and how to protect ourselves from contracting it and putting together preventative measures.

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
Let me rephrase it...Masks protect other people from myself if I'm wearing a mask. Obviously if you are wearing the mask wrong it does you no good. Masks should be required in high volume places, you can determine what that means. There are numerous ways to have hypercapnia, but wearing a mask several hours a day won't do that unless you have underlying raspatory problems to begin with...in which case you shouldn't go out unless absolutely necessary. It's the job of the CDC/NIH/WHO to inform the public of infectious diseases and how to protect ourselves from contracting it and putting together preventative measures.

Herd Immunity = Mother Nature’s Vaccine. Artificial immunity = Vaccine.

Whose plan do you trust today? Natural immunity is indicated by the presence of antibodies against the particular pathogen. Artificial immunity requires constant surveillance.

CDC/NIH/WHO has the masses on a crash course with a vaccine that alters DNA. It's extremely profitable as well. No Thanks.

Herd Immunity = Mother Nature’s Vaccine. Artificial immunity = Vaccine.

Whose plan do you trust today? Natural immunity is indicated by the presence of antibodies against the particular pathogen. Artificial immunity requires constant surveillance.

CDC/NIH/WHO has the masses on a crash course with a vaccine that alters DNA. It's extremely profitable as well. No Thanks.
So...how many people are you willing to sacrifice with this herd Immunity? Looks like we have been doing this herd immunity for the past 4 weeks and doesn't seem to be working out. I don't recall doing this with the good ole fashion flu. There is a shot for that. It's the unknown with this particular strain of flu which has the experts in fear.

So...how many people are you willing to sacrifice with this herd Immunity? Looks like we have been doing this herd immunity for the past 4 weeks and doesn't seem to be working out. I don't recall doing this with the good ole fashion flu. There is a shot for that. It's the unknown with this particular strain of flu which has the experts in fear.

I'm all about protecting grandparents. Masks should be worn in places that are not optional - such as the grocery. Otherwise, they will need to wait on a viable treatment plan which everyone is working on round the clock.

The rest of us should go about business, keep the economy up and continue to establish much needed herd immunity. If you are under 60, you've got a much better chance of dying in a car crash.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the fight against the mask. I know for absolute fact that the wearing of a mask will slow the spread of this virus. This is an indisputable fact, period.

I don’t understand the fight against the mask. I know for absolute fact that the wearing of a mask will slow the spread of this virus. This is an indisputable fact, period.
Give it a month and people will be called racist for wearing the wrong color mask. This will eventually move from wearing a mask to the type and style that's acceptable so that we don't offend anyone.

Reactions: Johnnie Cockran
Give it a month and people will be called racist for wearing the wrong color mask. This will eventually move from wearing a mask to the type and style that's acceptable so that we don't offend anyone.
I will laugh when that occurs

I'm all about protecting grandparents. Masks should be worn in places that are not optional - such as the grocery. Otherwise, they will need to wait on a viable treatment plan which everyone is working on round the clock.

The rest of us should go about business, keep the economy up and continue to establish much needed herd immunity. If you are under 60, you've got a much better chance of dying in a car crash.

Herd immunity is literally impossible without a vaccine, and even with a vaccine it's not certain. Again, literally impossible without a vaccine.

We have the roadmap for how this stops - masks and social distancing. It's working in other countries that have as dense, or more dense a population than most American cities. Just letting it ride means millions dead. People have been brainwashed into believing that "the economy" is greater than human lives. It's important, but the economy goes up and down with the world's problems - always has, always will. The economy will come back from this, just like always. We don't have to sacrifice actual humans to the alter of corporate gods (though the news stations owed by the corporate gods might tell you different).

Reactions: JeffTweedyFan
Herd immunity is literally impossible without a vaccine, and even with a vaccine it's not certain. Again, literally impossible without a vaccine.

We have the roadmap for how this stops - masks and social distancing. It's working in other countries that have as dense, or more dense a population than most American cities. Just letting it ride means millions dead. People have been brainwashed into believing that "the economy" is greater than human lives. It's important, but the economy goes up and down with the world's problems - always has, always will. The economy will come back from this, just like always. We don't have to sacrifice actual humans to the alter of corporate gods (though the news stations owed by the corporate gods might tell you different).
If herd immunity is impossible, how did all these childhood diseases like measles and mumps in the 60's become manageable with out any vaccine?

I tried to tell someone earlier that the mask doesn't cover the eyes. He looked at me and said that you can't get it through your eyes, that you have to inhale it... Hence the mask.. How do you combat that

What is with the increase in conspiracy theorists lately? My wife was telling me about these people from high school on Facebook that think masks are some government conspiracy. The internet is making dumber people dumber.

I’m not sure but on my social media accounts the people suggesting this sort of thing have a few things in common.

1) high school grad or maybe several college courses is the sum total of their educational achievement. ONE of those types is an old high school friend of mine with a very prolific presence on Facebook. In high school, we all doubted he’d even graduate. But he did. Went to work for his dad as a farm equipment salesman. Now he’s miraculously a medical and biology expert with an opinion on everything including on how to properly evaluate every medical issue— EXCEPT his own personal physical fitness.

2). Most seem to have excuses why other people have more personal and financial success.

3) a bit of a victim mentality where organizations are out to keep them from something.

I contrast them with my sister who is an RN with 25 years of experience in a hospital who is a huge advocate for wearing masks. She’s had a number of COVID patients, and she also takes care of a few elderly family members. She’s not political at all and could not care less about politics on any level.

and

a personal friend of mine who is a PhD. Engineering professor turned medical company research scientist. He’s pretty conservative from what I can tell, but he believes in everyone wearing a mask.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT