ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Rudolph

giphy.gif

Spurrier's staff dropped the ball on a lot of their QB decisions. They brought in good QBs in Garcia and Shaw but just about everyone else was miss. Mitch was a top priority and he never panned out. We went hard after Barker but from what I've seen he hasn't been too good. We had Rudolph in our backyard and we never even pursued him. How many QBs from SC did Spurrier go after? I seem to remember a few that had quite a buzz but we never seemed to have interest in.

There has been 4 or 5 stars recruits in all sports over the years to leave the state. So what ? I guess if some are just looking for another reason to bash Spurrier well here it is.

There has been 4 or 5 stars recruits in all sports over the years to leave the state. So what ? I guess if some are just looking for another reason to bash Spurrier well here it is.
Spurrier was the greatest thing that ever happened to USC. He took us to success never before seen and showed everyone that it was possible at USC. He lifted the idea that it was impossible to win here.

Spurrier was the greatest thing that ever happened to USC. He took us to success never before seen and showed everyone that it was possible at USC. He lifted the idea that it was impossible to win here.

While I'll agree with that statement...Spurrier did a piss poor job in the QB recruiting. Outside of Shaw everyone else was either a bust or didn't live up to their potential (Garcia). Just imagine what kind of team he could have had with a Mason behind center...

This is just an idea, but sometimes I wonder if Spurrier being a great QB hurt his progress with players at that position. I read one time that great players don’t always make great coaches for their position. I think they related that idea to Ed “Too Tall” Jones. A team asked him to coach defensive lineman, and it was a disaster. He couldn’t understand why the players weren’t doing drills the way he wanted. Problem was: he was more talented than those players so the drills came easy for him, and he lost patience when they couldn’t play at his level. Just a thought.

Reactions: 92Pony
Agreed. He's the type of QB that needs an above average OL because he has ZERO mobility in the pocket. His NFL success will depend entirely on that one unit.
I've heard the Pats are a possibility. That would be a good team for him. Don't have to be mobile and a couple of years behind Brady wouldn't hurt.

Agreed. He's the type of QB that needs an above average OL because he has ZERO mobility in the pocket. His NFL success will depend entirely on that one unit.
There are only a couple of teams in the NFL where this isn't true. Even with the most mobile QB, Seattle stinks because their O-line is terrible.

Reactions: wentzel25
This is just an idea, but sometimes I wonder if Spurrier being a great QB hurt his progress with players at that position. I read one time that great players don’t always make great coaches for their position. I think they related that idea to Ed “Too Tall” Jones. A team asked him to coach defensive lineman, and it was a disaster. He couldn’t understand why the players weren’t doing drills the way he wanted. Problem was: he was more talented than those players so the drills came easy for him, and he lost patience when they couldn’t play at his level. Just a thought.
This is something I have lived personally. I played baseball for years and was a middle of the road player for a very long time. I had lots of coaches that were very good players but they didn't experience the game the way I did. Along the way I had one or two coaches that actually moved the needle on my game- they were guys who were not physically blessed but studied the game and recognized were I was. Specifically, they taught me about the proper footwork for everything- throwing, batting, fielding, you name it. I had to think about my feet- the great athletes never think about their feet- they just do it. I had to drill my feet and my movement, and even though I did- and could think about it less- I always had to think about it. These coaches took me from being a average to below average player to being a reliable/solid player. Coaching matters and great players don't always make great coaches!

This is something I have lived personally. I played baseball for years and was a middle of the road player for a very long time. I had lots of coaches that were very good players but they didn't experience the game the way I did. Along the way I had one or two coaches that actually moved the needle on my game- they were guys who were not physically blessed but studied the game and recognized were I was. Specifically, they taught me about the proper footwork for everything- throwing, batting, fielding, you name it. I had to think about my feet- the great athletes never think about their feet- they just do it. I had to drill my feet and my movement, and even though I did- and could think about it less- I always had to think about it. These coaches took me from being a average to below average player to being a reliable/solid player. Coaching matters and great players don't always make great coaches!
Same here.....completely agree. And it seemingly took forever for that teaching to become second nature. I both loved and were frustrated by those days.

Spurrier's staff dropped the ball on a lot of their QB decisions. They brought in good QBs in Garcia and Shaw but just about everyone else was miss. Mitch was a top priority and he never panned out. We went hard after Barker but from what I've seen he hasn't been too good. We had Rudolph in our backyard and we never even pursued him. How many QBs from SC did Spurrier go after? I seem to remember a few that had quite a buzz but we never seemed to have interest in.

SS also showed little interest in a guy named Nick Chubb, who was very interested in the Gamecocks before committing to UGA

Only The State writers would come up with this stuff. Vendetta is obvious. Even if it was a bonehead (one of many) QB decision under a Spurrier.

Spurrier Junior and Mangus didn't recruit Mason Rudolf because they wanted a mobile QB. Then they gave a scholarship to Michael Scarnecchia, who runs the 40 in the month of February.

I do not blame him for having a chip on his shoulder, but to say that Oklahoma state would have beat the crap out of Carolina is crazy. Yes, they were good, but just good, not world-beaters. What did they win of any significance? They are middle to Upper to in the Big 12, pretty much same as USC in the sec.
The last couple years of the Spurrier/Elliott regime? He is probably right....don't see Whammy's defense stopping that offense.....at all.

Reactions: wentzel25
Spurrier Junior and Mangus didn't recruit Mason Rudolf because they wanted a mobile QB. Then they gave a scholarship to Michael Scarnecchia, who runs the 40 in the month of February.
Usually he waits until March so he can get the 3 extra days.

I know what you guys mean. When I was in kindergarten, Ms Smith said I was terrible at finger painting. And I've had to live with that chip on my shoulder all my life. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ME NOW. MS SMITH !!???

SS also showed little interest in a guy named Nick Chubb, who was very interested in the Gamecocks before committing to UGA
I call BS on that one. I know a lot of people here in Athens close to the program and Chubb was Dawg all the way day one. Cedartown is all Bulldog and over the years they have lost few if any that they really wanted. Rudolph sounds like a sloppy job but as I've pointed out on here numerous times, there was a qb from the Charleston area that year who had pretty much the same credentials as Rudolph. We didn't recruit him either. He signed with UGA and quickly fell behind the competition and transfered out. Although he played some at Iowa State, he was never what his hs career indicated he would be. Point being recruiting qb's can be a crap shoot.By the way, name a program in the country that hasn't screwed up and let an instate player get away and then watched him become a star. Ohio State can name one. He burned OS bad in a couple of bowl games of interest to us.

I call BS on that one. I know a lot of people here in Athens close to the program and Chubb was Dawg all the way day one. Cedartown is all Bulldog and over the years they have lost few if any that they really wanted. Rudolph sounds like a sloppy job but as I've pointed out on here numerous times, there was a qb from the Charleston area that year who had pretty much the same credentials as Rudolph. We didn't recruit him either. He signed with UGA and quickly fell behind the competition and transfered out. Although he played some at Iowa State, he was never what his hs career indicated he would be. Point being recruiting qb's can be a crap shoot.By the way, name a program in the country that hasn't screwed up and let an instate player get away and then watched him become a star. Ohio State can name one. He burned OS bad in a couple of bowl games of interest to us.
Yeah, but I don't think Ryan Brewer got drafted and made quite as big an impact at USC as Rudolph did at OSU.

The knock on Rudolph, as I remember it, was that he was a "system QB" and wouldn't fit well in Spurrier's "system." I still think it's all BS. You at least call a kid back, welcome him to camp, etc. Especially if he put up the numbers Rudolph did.

Food for thought: Shaw and Thompson were the only scholarship QBs that actually exhausted their eligibility AND graduated from here under Spurrier.

I'm sure Scarneccia (sp?) will too. But I'm focusing only on QBs that played significant snaps.

Reactions: Judson1
If he can throw and has knowledge of how to read NFL Def, the right team will put an o-line there. Look at Peyton and Eli, not mobile at all but both have rings.

That QB from Charleston that signed with UGA was a punk.

What about all of those knowledgeable posters that claimed the reason we didn’t get Rudolph was “he wanted to go out of state, so we didn’t recruit him hard”

Kinda blows that theory out of the water when you hear it straight from the horses mouth.

How we didn’t get this guy signed with the hot garbage coming in at that time makes no sense to me.

We could’ve had the Whiteside kid at WR from Dorman who is now at Stanford. Would’ve went well with what we have now. A shame they dropped the ball

I know what you guys mean. When I was in kindergarten, Ms Smith said I was terrible at finger painting. And I've had to live with that chip on my shoulder all my life. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ME NOW. MS SMITH !!???
Ms. Smith was correct. You ARE terrible at finger painting!

Reactions: jeff2001
And this is why having a legend as AD and HBC did yall in for a few years. Spurrier hated recruiting, but he was such a good coach he didnt have to. Once he started looking past coaching, and especially when he announced he was getting near the end, Tanner should have already had a plan in place. But people are always hesitant to question the legends. You lucked out with Muschamp being available. He could always recruit, but the on-field results never lived up to the expectations. He needed a place where he could grow into a HC. I think he has a chance now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT