ADVERTISEMENT

Masters Virtue Signaling

BigWillieCock

Gold Member
Sep 14, 2007
I’ve missed most of the coverage this week. Spent tonight with the DVR catching up.

Sidepoint- even a smattering of fans makes is less weird than November.

Anyway, upon watching the opening ceremony with Lee Elder, I had two thoughts.

1- So awesome for this guy to get his moment. The man faced so much animosity in his playing career. At least on TV it seemed he appreciated the respect he deserved for the barriers he broke.

2- The Masters came off disingenuous. He played first in 1975. Where was the recognition in 1985, 1995, 2005 or 2015 when it would have made sense to commemorate a milestone achievement?

Whether a Fortune 500 company or The Masters this is what I find disgusting. Where the Hell were you before Memorial Day weekend 2020? And since most were nowhere on this topic, why do so many accept any of this as genuine?

It’s like someone told me once. If you do something nice for me because I asked, it means less than if you’d just done something nice on your own.

You’ve got a point! Part of the Master’s aura is they can do whatever they want however they want, but they always seem to backtrack after a little pressure, thank goodness!

Reactions: cockofdawn
I’ve missed most of the coverage this week. Spent tonight with the DVR catching up.

1- So awesome for this guy to get his moment. The man faced so much animosity in his playing career. At least on TV it seemed he appreciated the respect he deserved for the barriers he broke.

2- The Masters came off disingenuous. He played first in 1975. Where was the recognition in 1985, 1995, 2005 or 2015 when it would have made sense to commemorate a milestone achievement?

Whether a Fortune 500 company or The Masters this is what I find disgusting. Where the Hell were you before Memorial Day weekend 2020? And since most were nowhere on this topic, why do so many accept any of this as genuine?

It’s like someone told me once. If you do something nice for me because I asked, it means less than if you’d just done something nice on your own.

Augusta National is its own world. They have had black members since 1990 and women since 2012--better late than never. You have to understand this is a private club and when you set foot on this property you are in a different world. Progress is slow there but with so many CEOs of large corporations having memberships there, change will continue. For two years, AN hosts a women's amateur tournament. Unthought of just a few years ago.

They now do an endowment at HBCU Paine College. Here is a nice article on black caddies. Notice the nice gesture by Nicklaus for his black caddy at the end. I give them credit for bringing about change, no matter how long it took. The world is changing, even at the Masters.

A common error is for people to review and critique past events or beliefs through the paradigm of the current culture.

The events of the last 15 months has put our current culture in very different place than it was before those so recent occurrences.

The best example I can think of is the horrid treatment of Vietnam era veterans prior to the Persian Gulf War. The deeds of those servicemen and women in Vietnam have not changed one bit since their time in Southeast Asia. But, how those deeds are viewed and appreciated has changed seismically since 1991.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT