ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe I'm late on this news,

JKC4USC

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2007
But I just heard it this morning for the first time. The State rag is laying off something like 9 more people, and Ron Morris himself is one of them. His last day is May 8th. Usually, I do not take joy in someone losing their job, but I may make an exception in RMs case. Good riddance.

I think Ron Morris has came out to say he is retiring to save face. But all newspapers are doing this and will just go with more national stories, instead of local stories.

If you look at all of his work.....there were 25 to 1 articles in which Ron was very complimentary to the Gamecocks.

You are probably right about the favorable-to-USC articles by Morris, but when he WAS anti-USC his columns about the school and its sports teams were laced with acid and vindictiveness.

Morris hated Holtz with a passion, really cared little for SOS, loved the ACC and dissed the SEC at every opportunity - imo, because USC was IN the SEC and had dropped that 'other' conference whose big cats mostly wear Baby Blue colors and answer to 'Tar Hole'!

Good bye. Ronnie-boy! Don't let the door hit you in the @$$ !!!

Good-bye, Ron!

Ron Morris and Spurrier had a long track record together. Morris covered him when he was at Duke at the Durham Morning News, and Morris covered him for the Tallahassee paper and later in Columbia at the State. They actually had a good relationship until the Ellington story. I talked to Ron and he told me that they were friends until that point. He's not a bad guy, he just does dumb things for the "wow" factor. He lost on that deal...IMO. Ron just liked to sensationalize when it wasn't something wise to do.

I would like to thank Ron Morris for his work at the State Newspaper. His criticism of the South Carolina program helped improve our program. I didn't have a problem with what he said about our program because it made sure that Spurrier wasn't complacent and accepting of mediocrity.

Right, it was Ron Morris that motivated Spurrier to not accept mediocrity. That's right, the guy that is so competitive that he will not even accept a second place trophy at a pro-am golf tournament was driven by Morris' pedantic articles. Good grief.

No, RM didn't improve anything. He was just the newest in a along line of a-hole writers at The State that perennially crapped on USC. That was his shtick.

I can think of a single time he helped USC: When I asked another reporter why Morris was so vicious to Holtz, he said that Morris hated Skip and was determined to keep him from becoming the head coach. So yes, in that instance he helped because Skip was a train smash.

Putting aside his motivations, he was a lousy writer. So there's that, too.

Adios!!!! Maybe he can find another gig where he can switch back and forth and claim to be a reporter and a columnist at the same time.

I did have a problem with MoRon as he often tried to pass off his OPINION as that of fact when it came to his coverage.....

Last edited:
I have been paying an e-subscription for years.....it's the best way. No paper boy missing you...no rain or snow...and I can read it in North Carolina.

Newspapers are dying nation-wide. The State is no exception.
Back before I became so cynical about lib newspapers and their agenda I used to read newspapers and naively took every word as the truth. I don't even watch network news anymore. The bad news always upset me but there was nothing I could do about it so just stopped watching. I now feel the same way about politics and don't pay much attention to those liars either.

Reactions: gamecock ed
Moron's act was a simple one: 1. Read message boards. 2. Write stories slanted against general feelings of the fans. If everybody was riding the highs he would write something negative. Everybody wanting to fire the coach he would sing their praises.

But I just heard it this morning for the first time. The State rag is laying off something like 9 more people, and Ron Morris himself is one of them. His last day is May 8th. Usually, I do not take joy in someone losing their job, but I may make an exception in RMs case. Good riddance.

I guess I can click on links to the Snake now. Good riddance, Ron.

I would like to thank Ron Morris for his work at the State Newspaper. His criticism of the South Carolina program helped improve our program. I didn't have a problem with what he said about our program because it made sure that Spurrier wasn't complacent and accepting of mediocrity.
Thank you for saying this. I agree completely. Ron is a friend of mine and is now out of a job.

neil white is gone too. Good man and good writer. Pretty soon there will be no local news and all copy and pastes from day old internet articles. Writing (no pun intened) is on the wall for print media unfortunately.

Yup, Spurrier was a mediocre coach until he met Ron Morris o_O

IMO, anyone trying to give moRon credit for improving the program is insane.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
The only issue I have with Morris is when he lies as he did with the Bruce Ellington story. Any journalist that lies should be banished. Look at what happened to Brian Williams.

Ron was a sports columnist and as a columnist his job was to agitate the local fanbase so to speak. I didn't always agree with what he said but he was just doing his job. Everything isn't always on the up and up when it comes to Gamecock athletics.

It's rare to have a near two decade run on any job these days. I don't wish unemployment on anyone but I would think most of us here have had to deal with it especially lately. You must adapt.

I am sure Morris will find something to do. I might suggest finding somewhere they are unfamiliar with his act. Or he could write that Down With Lou book he's been postponing. Got plenty of time to do it now.

Ron was a sports columnist and as a columnist his job was to agitate the local fanbase so to speak. I didn't always agree with what he said but he was just doing his job. Everything isn't always on the up and up when it comes to Gamecock athletics.

A columnist would be fine if that is what he did......But Ron liked to hide behind both curtains....He outright made up the story about Bruce Ellington and when he got busted for reporting untrue facts he pulled out the "columnist" angle to cover his bottom.

I can deal with "OPINION" but what none of us should tolerate from any "COLUMNIST or JOURNALIST" is complete fabrication of stories or issues.....

In the end its all about respect and he has none from me and deserves none from anyone with any sense.....

Again hate to see anyone lose their job but maybe he should have tried the angle to excite the fan base and hence sell more papers rather than to piss off the fan base and sell less papers....

Adios MoRon

Newspapers are dying nation-wide. The State is no exception.
They are dying because their product sucks. I get the Wall Street Journal every day. It's a good read. Occaisionally they stick a State newspaper in my box as a freebie. It really is the worst newspaper I have every wasted 5 minutes of my life reading. I would buy a local paper if it was any good, but sadly, it is an embarrassment. Goodbye Ron Morris and take the State with you.

A lot of people here using a disclaimer that "I hate to see anyone lose their job". Well, I'll come right out and say it's about damn time in this case. Looks like the snake's "Love Him Or Hate Him" ad didn't help them out very much, huh! I hope the entire rag shuts down along with the other syndicated waste of trees.

The day I had it with print news was the day after one of my grandmothers died 8 years ago. My mom wrote a short 3 paragraph obituary and took it to the Herald in Rock Hill and they told her "That will be $85". Now I could see newspapers charging something for obituaries since they were struggling. But $85? That's outrageous. And it really rattled my already grieving mother. But she paid for it anyway in hopes that anyone my grandmother knew would get the info about the funeral.

Cancelled my subscription the day of her funeral and won't ever subscribe to another one.

If RM was a creative and informative writer he could find sponsors, sell ads and start a blog. But I'm afraid he'd end up living off of bagged cat food and stealing water from a neighbors spigot. Maybe he can bag groceries?

Lou Holtz first year at USC when I dumped that crap paper
veryhappy.gif

A lot of people here using a disclaimer that "I hate to see anyone lose their job".

I think the reason is, as I posted, that job loss is all too familiar with most people these days. So there is a certain amount of empathy. (Even if you think it is misplaced in this case.)

Honestly, I didn't read enough of him to get me angry. I think I was on to his act years ago because I've seen it before. Swim against the tide, hack off the locals, so predictable I could have written it myself. Maybe that's what they're looking for: some millennial at half the salary who will do the same thing.

The thing about the newspaper industry that is so ironic is this: it's a paper, yes, but "news", are you kidding? Everybody knows what happened yesterday because the internet, TV, etc. already filled us in. It should really be called the "Opinion, ad, obits, recipe, whatever" paper. Anything but "news".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT