ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe old news but it feels like they are pulling away......

RaleighGC

Oct 22, 2008
“The way recruits look at Clemson now is different than it was two years ago,” Scott said.

With that trust comes an understanding that Clemson’s digital staff won’t publish any content that might show the football team or the school in a negative light. Gantt or Hennessy is charged with seeing and approving every piece of content before it’s posted. If Clemson had lost the title game, Gantt said he would have personally posted every item, just to make sure it wouldn’t be perceived negatively.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/01/16/Colleges/Clemson-social.aspx

IMO their social media is killing it by using the easiest method, click bait. For example a headline will read "Possible 8 five star recruits including #1 coming to Clemson"....the operative word being "possible"; who know if anyone actually shows up.

Taking the thread in another direction I feel Clemson is following the Bama, Duke, FSU, UNC route where they are awesome in one single sport, and it shows. Maybe another sport from time to time shows up in a tournament but expectations of those programs low. Meanwhile we are following a UF, OSU, Stanford type model trying be competitive in everything and it sort of shows. There is no right or wrong approach I suppose. As an alum I am proud that we have competitive teams in all sports (more or less); as a fan I would take the trade off in being terrible to average in all other sports (see BAMA) if the reward was a dominant football program.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
Yes good point. That shows an understanding of the nature of social media. As per usual, we are behind the curve. Of all sports, we are good at women's basketball, fishing, and equestrian. Football is 95 pct of my give a damn equation. Basketball has 3 pct points and baseball 2. Seems like our marketing department has played catch up since I started following the gamecocks in the 70's.

Yes good point. That shows an understanding of the nature of social media. As per usual, we are behind the curve. Of all sports, we are good at women's basketball, fishing, and equestrian. Football is 95 pct of my give a damn equation. Basketball has 3 pct points and baseball 2. Seems like our marketing department has played catch up since I started following the gamecocks in the 70's.
Agree - our marketing falls WAY short of our rivals and there are others, I'm sure! I've been saying this for years, but we seem not to care but to still focus on squeezing more money out of donors! Of course, it's a business to all now but selling our program/university to young folks should be a priority IMO! Don't know if & when they'll recognize that fact but, until then, we'll stay behind playing catch-up and that is SO unnecessary. We have every resource possible to better sell our programs & university as a whole. It's how it's managed that matters and we need to put the right people in place to do that! Doesn't show that has happened yet, unfortunately! We, apparently, have good football recruiters in place - hopefully - but the overall marketing falls short IMO!

Reactions: 1madrooster
“The way recruits look at Clemson now is different than it was two years ago,” Scott said.

With that trust comes an understanding that Clemson’s digital staff won’t publish any content that might show the football team or the school in a negative light. Gantt or Hennessy is charged with seeing and approving every piece of content before it’s posted. If Clemson had lost the title game, Gantt said he would have personally posted every item, just to make sure it wouldn’t be perceived negatively.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/01/16/Colleges/Clemson-social.aspx

IMO their social media is killing it by using the easiest method, click bait. For example a headline will read "Possible 8 five star recruits including #1 coming to Clemson"....the operative word being "possible"; who know if anyone actually shows up.

Taking the thread in another direction I feel Clemson is following the Bama, Duke, FSU, UNC route where they are awesome in one single sport, and it shows. Maybe another sport from time to time shows up in a tournament but expectations of those programs low. Meanwhile we are following a UF, OSU, Stanford type model trying be competitive in everything and it sort of shows. There is no right or wrong approach I suppose. As an alum I am proud that we have competitive teams in all sports (more or less); as a fan I would take the trade off in being terrible to average in all other sports (see BAMA) if the reward was a dominant football program.

I would hardly say Clemson is only good in 1 single sport.

Basketball is obviously down at Clemson and without a major turn around this year I would expect to see a coaching change in the next 1-2 years.

However, Clemson men's soccer played in the national championship game last year and made a run to the quarterfinals this past year, including knocking USC out of the tournament. They also won the conference championship in 2014.

The baseball team was due for a change and made a pretty big splash last year with new head coach Monte Lee. In fact, they won the ACC conference tourney last year for the first time since 2006. They also hosted a regional for the first time since 2011 and took 2/3 from the Gamecocks.

The men's golf team claimed the ACC championship last year for the first time since 2004. They also lost in a team playoff to GT in 2015 so they were very close to being back to back champions.

The men's tennis team has been down recently but they just hired a new coach this past June in an effort to rejuvenate the program.

I am not sure why you think Clemson is only concerned with football and is only good at other sports every once in a while, but this is probably the best string of overall Men's athletics that Clemson has ever had in their history. Football will always be seen as the leader, but the other sports are not just forgotten teams.

I told one of my friends the other day the first thing I would do if I was Muschamp is hire "clemson google" turnipseed's top assistant from clemson. They obviously have it going in the right direction.

And yet we have Clemson fans with little wankers hanging out on their rival's board.

Yep. Primarily to question flawed logic like the theory that we concentrate on being good in only "one single sport". Yes, we're bad at basketball but...name another sport.

Football (obviously good), but also..Baseball - 2016 ACC Champs, Soccer - Top 5 the last 2 years, Golf - Perennial Top 20 team, Tennis - Perennial Top 20 team, etc. etc.

I do agree with the premise we are "pulling away" though :) ...

We can start with producing better quality 30 second spots which air during televised sporting events. Clem does this well too and it supports their recruiting message, both for athletes and regular students. Ours aren't horrible, but seem unpolished and wouldn't grab a casual viewer's attention.

Yep. Primarily to question flawed logic like the theory that we concentrate on being good in only "one single sport". Yes, we're bad at basketball but...name another sport.

Football (obviously good), but also..Baseball - 2016 ACC Champs, Soccer - Top 5 the last 2 years, Golf - Perennial Top 20 team, Tennis - Perennial Top 20 team, etc. etc.

So grab your microscopes and have your own little circlejerk on your own boards....heck, maybe Boulware will help you locate them, he seems pretty darned experienced at it.

I disagree. You just won the title. You can't pull away any more than that.
Don't think for a second you are the next Bama dynasty. You got your shot and picked your way to the top with the best QB in your history. He gone!

I disagree. You just won the title. You can't pull away any more than that.
Don't think for a second you are the next Bama dynasty. You got your shot and picked your way to the top with the best QB in your history. He gone!
It's amazing how obsessed these 'Christians" are with their own reputation. Talk about worshipping false idols!!! The hypocrisy is mind boggling.

I would hardly say Clemson is only good in 1 single sport.

Basketball is obviously down at Clemson and without a major turn around this year I would expect to see a coaching change in the next 1-2 years.

However, Clemson men's soccer played in the national championship game last year and made a run to the quarterfinals this past year, including knocking USC out of the tournament. They also won the conference championship in 2014.

The baseball team was due for a change and made a pretty big splash last year with new head coach Monte Lee. In fact, they won the ACC conference tourney last year for the first time since 2006. They also hosted a regional for the first time since 2011 and took 2/3 from the Gamecocks.

The men's golf team claimed the ACC championship last year for the first time since 2004. They also lost in a team playoff to GT in 2015 so they were very close to being back to back champions.

The men's tennis team has been down recently but they just hired a new coach this past June in an effort to rejuvenate the program.

I am not sure why you think Clemson is only concerned with football and is only good at other sports every once in a while, but this is probably the best string of overall Men's athletics that Clemson has ever had in their history. Football will always be seen as the leader, but the other sports are not just forgotten teams.

Thank you sir!

And Clemson will open a 55 million athletic center next month. They have the jump on us. How much is our center going to cost, when completed next year.

It's amazing how obsessed these 'Christians" are with their own reputation. Talk about worshipping false idols!!! The hypocrisy is mind boggling.
These are the same rednecks who hated Hatfield from the moment he stepped of the plan because he wasn't a redneck like Diddy Furd and was to religious. But they praise the good ole boy Dumbo and absolutely love all the Christian stuff he is constantly blabbering. The hypocrisy is priceless and these idiots are to stupid to even see it.

Last edited:
And yet we have Clemson fans with little wankers hanging out on their rival's board.

That's part of their marketing through social media. They pay students to do this. You don't know if you're interacting with one of their cult fans or a paid student that trolls....

We are actually gaining on Clemson now in football, unlike what the title of this thread suggests.

Your orange glasses are as tinted as my garnet and there is nothing wrong with that but let's be honest

1) basketball is not down, you have never been up. Clemson men's basketball relevance nationally is the streak at UNC.
2) Congrats on soccer, popular sport, likened to our success of WBB
3) Baseball has not left a regional in a very long time, the only memories of Omaha are on the caps
4) Golf, tennis, track and field, Lacrosse etc can all fall into the "other" category

These are the same rednecks who hated Hatfield from the moment he stepped of the plan because he was a redneck like Diddy Furd and was to religious. But the praise the good ole boy Dumbo and absolutely love all the Christian stuff he is constantly blabbering. The hypocrisy is priceless and these idiots are to stupid to even see it.

Remember that well. Knew Clemson Booster well connected that told me one day they fired Danny Ford for a half ass preacher and they should have built him a half ass church. Because they get Newspring money, attitudes change and football facilities get built by a school that could not afford to build an Olympic size pool to keep the swimming and diving program when Terry Don Phillips was AD.

That's part of their marketing through social media. They pay students to do this. You don't know if you're interacting with one of their cult fans or a paid student that trolls....

We are actually gaining on Clemson now in football, unlike what the title of this thread suggests.

I am interested in your opinion on how or where you feel we are gaining on them. Honest question, not flaming the fire....

Your orange glasses are as tinted as my garnet and there is nothing wrong with that but let's be honest

1) basketball is not down, you have never been up. Clemson men's basketball relevance nationally is the streak at UNC.
2) Congrats on soccer, popular sport, likened to our success of WBB
3) Baseball has not left a regional in a very long time, the only memories of Omaha are on the caps
4) Golf, tennis, track and field, Lacrosse etc can all fall into the "other" category

I appreciate the post, and I believe I can be honest as well.

1) You are correct. Basketball has never been a national power. I don't see that changing soon but I do think the Clemson fan base and AD expect Clemson to at least make the NCAA tournament about 50% of the time. I don't think winning any titles or making final 4's would be required to say Clemson basketball is relevant. I would argue the exact same is true for USC.
2.) The post I responded to said Clemson was only relevant in football. I was arguing Men's soccer was also VERY relevant. I am sorry you don't consider it a popular sport.
3.) Clemson baseball last made the CWS in 2010. and results were deteriorating after that. This is why I pointed out that last year's team exceeded expectations with a new coach and the expectations are even higher this year. Again, I was stating that Clemson baseball is anything but irrelevant after last season. Winning the ACC and hosting a regional with a national seed and the Dick Howser Trophy winner (as a freshman) is relevant. Also, USC has not made the CWS since 2012 and I would still consider them relevant.
4.) I understand your "other" comment, but I was arguing that men's sports in general at Clemson are doing very well. I chose to include most of them in my argument since the original statement was about how Clemson only succeeds in 1 sport.

However, you do have a point about our lacrosse program lacking, since we don't have one.

Wow, another "woe is me" and "worship the upstate school" post/thread. You had me at "MAYBE IT'S OLD NEWS."

These are the same rednecks who hated Hatfield from the moment he stepped of the plan because he was a redneck like Diddy Furd and was to religious. But the praise the good ole boy Dumbo and absolutely love all the Christian stuff he is constantly blabbering. The hypocrisy is priceless and these idiots are to stupid to even see it.

I have noticed an uptick in discussion of...Ken Hatfield (of all people) on this site! Didn't he coach like 25-30 years ago? Yes, I remember him but I doubt the majority of Clemson fans today are "the same rednecks". Most fans back then didn't like him primarily because he wasn't Danny Ford, plain and simple. Whoever followed Danny after the way he was forced out would have been treated likewise regardless of who it was.

Reactions: Gerken
Fair enough. Thanks for keeping it civil. I still feel it's "all in" on football and I now I just hope you don't prove me wrong on the field, court, pitch, course.

Today the taters are hosting their junior weekend with at least five 5-stars (#1 already committed) and 4 of top 10 by Rivals. They have at least 17 4-stars on campus seeing the brand new $55M playground and their new, shiny trophy. And you ask if they're pulling away? What are we doing?

I have noticed an uptick in discussion of...Ken Hatfield (of all people) on this site! Didn't he coach like 25-30 years ago? Yes, I remember him but I doubt the majority of Clemson fans today are "the same rednecks". Most fans back then didn't like him primarily because he wasn't Danny Ford, plain and simple. Whoever followed Danny after the way he was forced out would have been treated likewise regardless of who it was.
Lmao! Yes, following Furd was not easy but don't be foolish. I've lived a long time and have dealt with this obnoxious cult fanbase since birth. Trust me, it's a big percent of the fans that are still around, still feeling they are above everyone else. People born in the last twenty years may not know the history. The majority of your fans do and I find it pathetic you are so hypocritical, lol.....

The University of South Carolina SID office and support staff literally have to be the WORST in major college sports. They are terrible. We have consistently been bad yet nothing happens.

I agree not only CU but almost EVERY other school beats us in this regard.

Reactions: NooNoo
I am interested in your opinion on how or where you feel we are gaining on them. Honest question, not flaming the fire....
I was in the upstate last week and they are already announcing on
WCCP that true Freshman Hunter
Johnson will be the starter next year and his only returning receiver with significant offensive production is Deon McCain. The drop off @ QB and WR will be dramatic next season but the worst part is they have to depend on Feaster @ R B and it is common knowledge he is afraid of contact and that is why he failed to develop and play more in 2016. They essentially burned his red shirt against SC State.

Our offense will be exposive in 2017. Jake Bentley was supposed to be in high school last season and came in early, took over the starting job, and produced passing yards and touchdowns equivalent to Deshaun Watson's Freshman stats minus the star power @ WR. His star power @ the skilled positions increase greatly next season because of experience gained. We should be able to outscore most teams we face in 2017.

I was in the upstate last week and they are already announcing on
WCCP that true Freshman Hunter
Johnson will be the starter next year and his only returning receiver with significant offensive production is Deon McCain. The drop off @ QB and WR will be dramatic next season but the worst part is they have to depend on Feaster @ R B and it is common knowledge he is afraid of contact and that is why he failed to develop and play more in 2016. They essentially burned his red shirt against SC State.

Our offense will be exposive in 2017. Jake Bentley was supposed to be in high school last season and came in early, took over the starting job, and produced passing yards and touchdowns equivalent to Deshaun Watson's Freshman stats minus the star power @ WR. His star power @ the skilled positions increase greatly next season because of experience gained. We should be able to outscore most teams we face in 2017.
We have Ray Ray McLeod who caught 45 passes,hunter Renfrow who caught 29 and two otherwho caught double-digit passes in addition to Dion Cain.Dont think receivers going to be a problem and the quarterback everybody expects Cooper to be the man next year

We have Ray Ray McLeod who caught 45 passes,hunter Renfrow who caught 29 and two otherwho caught double-digit passes in addition to Dion Cain.Dont think receivers going to be a problem and the quarterback everybody expects Cooper to be the man next year

I know who you have and they aren't as good as who you had. Especially @ QB, TE, RB, and WR. You lost the 1st WR that will be taken in the draft and the 2nd or 3rd QB. Your running game depends on a mobile QB to make it function properly and Hunter Johnson does not have running in his skill set.

I've said forever that the Clempets make it a priority to infiltrate all media outlets in SC where they aim to subvert everything related to The University Of SC. They take every opportunity to promote Clempson and to demonize USC.

I told one of my friends the other day the first thing I would do if I was Muschamp is hire "clemson google" turnipseed's top assistant from clemson. They obviously have it going in the right direction.

I don't think he would leave. The only reason he left Bama to come to clemson is he and dabo are good friends plus both played on Alabama's 1992 National Championship team. Heck look at this new DL coach they just hired another x Bama player who was recruited by dabo.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
if I was the USC AD, I would have hired an OC that coached teams that scored a lot of points and threw the ball a lot. you have at to have a fun offense in place to get the best players on offense.

going with a DC who couldn't get the offfense going at Florida for years was the worst move SC could make. SC cemented in recruits mind that SC is boring on offense.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
I know who you have and they aren't as good as who you had. Especially @ QB, TE, RB, and WR. You lost the 1st WR that will be taken in the draft and the 2nd or 3rd QB. Your running game depends on a mobile QB to make it function properly and Hunter Johnson does not have running in his skill set.
Not saying we will be as good kon offense but Renfrow and Cain both caught almost 100 yards worth of passes against Alabama.Hunter Johnson ran a 4.71 laser timed 40 time at the under armor game which was the fastest time of any quarterback there though no one really sees him as a true freshman being our quarterback this year.if we have recruited well then the replacements won't be far off from what we had. The last two years defensively we've replaced between seven and nine players with just a little fall off. I guess time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT