ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe Stockton's decommitment was a blessing in disguise?!?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
We recently offered DT QB Braden Davis. ESPN just released their latest rankings and Davis checks in at #3 for his position. Any guess who checks in at #5? Yep, the former future Gamecock legend Gunner Stockton. Further, a number of Davis' top offers already have big-time commits for the 2022 class. Bama has the #1 DT QB. LSU has the #2. UGA has #5 (Stockton). Clemson has #6. PSU has the #3 pro-style QB. UF has the #10 pro-style. Oregon has the #5 pro-style. Auburn has the #11 pro-style. This puts us in an excellent position with him.

Wouldn't it be something if all the of fuss over losing Stockton turned out to be a blessing in disguise for us bringing in a slightly higher ranked QB?

Hope we can sink our hooks into this kid and hold onto him.

We recently offered DT QB Braden Davis. ESPN just released their latest rankings and Davis checks in at #3 for his position. Any guess who checks in at #5? Yep, the former future Gamecock legend Gunner Stockton. Further, a number of Davis' top offers already have big-time commits for the 2022 class. Bama has the #1 DT QB. LSU has the #2. UGA has #5 (Stockton). Clemson has #6. PSU has the #3 pro-style QB. UF has the #10 pro-style. Oregon has the #5 pro-style. Auburn has the #11 pro-style. This puts us in an excellent position with him.

Wouldn't it be something if all the of fuss over losing Stockton turned out to be a blessing in disguise for us bringing in a slightly higher ranked QB?

I was always told that a bird in the hand beats two in the bush. I would love to have him but it's a long shot.

Never good to lose anything to the leghumpers, but they are the kings of doing less with more.

For sure. But what are the odds, really, that both Stockton and Vandagriff stick it out at UGA? Given their recent history and the alarming upward trend in transfers, I'd put it at 50% right now.

Davis also had an offer from UGA, so if Stockton had stuck with us, it's very possible that Davis would have ended up there.

I'm sure it's still a longshot he ends up here, but as noted above, most of his other top offers already have QBs committed for this class. The opportunity is there...

While that is true we never had that bird in the hand.

Yep. While I was excited like everyone else when Stockton committed here, it felt kind of artificial since there was a slim chance of Muschamp/Bobo actually surviving here until 2022. I just never personally felt great about him ending up here. I hoped, of course. Just didn't see it panning out.

Some highlights. I was a little worried since it started out with all highlights of him running.

We all get excited about getting a commitment from a top recruit but we don’t really know how it will turn out.
Of course I would prefer take my chances with a bunch of 4-5 star guys than a bunch of 3 star guys but a lot of 3 star guys work out.
The one concern that I had with Stockton was that it appeared that he had a lot of great training throughout his career. While it is great to develop good habits, does he appear to be better than some lower ranked guys because he is already polished and they are more raw

Yes, but he also has offers from Rutgers, Howard, Temple and some other powerhouses. I’m not sure that giving a kid an offer is something to get pumped about, unless there’s mutual interest.

This thread is about the most USC thing I have seen. Actually figuring a way to reason how losing a highly recruited QB is a good thing.

This thread is about the most USC thing I have seen. Actually figuring a way to reason how losing a highly recruited QB is a good thing.
and how's that different than any other fanbase? I remember when he first committed to us, Georgia fans were saying that he's wasn't that good. Sound familiar? Bottom line. No one's knows which will be the better fit but I'd rather have coaches and players that want to be Gamecocks and aren't afraid of challenges.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. LOL!
latest

The odds of Stockton coming here were always directly proportional to the odds of Muschamp/Bobo surviving here until the 2022 season. In other words: it was never happening.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT