ADVERTISEMENT

MBB. AU THREAD

Cybercock

Sep 9, 2001
Columbia SC
I wasn't going to bother however I couldn't resist.
Zero offensive plan. Street ball.
Lost on defense.
Follow a shot...nah

Someone join me in my rant
15 percent from the field.. . They are just leaving us open because why bother to defend.

I am trying to be optimistic. I’m hoping the larger than normal crowd and the excitement of celebrating the football team at half will be enough to pump energy into this game and compete.

RPI #226

All I heard from the Fire Frank crowd was that the supporters were “settling for mediocrity”. Someone define what the hell this is. We’re no where near mediocrity. By the way that RPI actually went up 2 places this week.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Can't shoot Can't play defense. Bad combination.

They are basically lost out there. This has been discussed on here on and over so I won't beat a dead horse. I just don't understand the complete sense of incompetence on the court.
Is there or was there ever some sort of game plan for any game? Are they being taught anything or, if they are, do they just ignore it.
It's one thing to get beat and even get stomped but it's quite another to just look like clowns

They are basically lost out there. This has been discussed on here on and over so I won't beat a dead horse. I just don't understand the complete sense of incompetence on the court.
Is there or was there ever some sort of game plan for any game? Are they being taught anything or, if they are, do they just ignore it.
It's one thing to get beat and even get stomped but it's quite another to just look like clowns
Other than crap talk down 25 and a couple of one on one games within the game, I see nothing.

This team blew its last chance to win some fans over for this year. They got to cheer loud at halftime and most will only be back to catch a women’s game.

The worse thing is no discipline or any improvement. That's on coaching. Be careful what you wish for. At least before we weren't embarrassed like this on our home floor multiple times.
All some people wanted was change. I was one that said this could very well be the change we get. This might be a 4 year hole we have dug at best. Maybe 6-7 years deep. It remains to be seen.

A lot of people are just looking at the result and blasting a new coach because he is the easy target. They don’t want to blast College-aged kids and that’s understandable. Whether you believe the offense was not organized enough or not, we got plenty wide open shots, yet shot 35% from the field and 20% from 3. When you take GG’s stats out, we shot 28% from the field and 11% from 3. That’s not going to beat a good high school team let alone an SEC one. If, I have a criticism of the coaching, it is my view that he allows GG to play around at the 3 point line too much. Teams are switching guards onto him on screen action. If GG is not comfortable posting up, we should at least get him to the nail (foul line extended). That way he can still face up these guards like a Wendell Green and get to the rim in one dribble. The offense being run is fine. The problem is in not making adjustments based on what the defense is doing to us. Nonetheless, we still got plenty open shots to be successful.

Last edited:
A lot of people are just looking at the result and blasting a new coach because he is the easy target. They don’t want to blast College-aged kids and that’s understandable. Whether you believe the offense was not organized enough or not, we got plenty wide open shots, yet shot 35% from the field and 20% from 3. When you take GG’s stats out, we shot 28% from the field and 11% from 3. That’s not going to beat a good high school team let alone an SEC one. If, I have a criticism of the coaching, it is my view that he allows GG to play around at the 3 point line too much. Teams are switching guards onto him on screen action. If GG is not comfortable posting up, we should at least get him to the nail (foul line extended). That way he can still face up these guards like a Wendell Green and get to the rim in one dribble. The offense being run is fine. The problem is in not making adjustments based on what the defense is doing to us. Nonetheless, we still got plenty open shots to be successful.
Auburn had 50 points in the paint. Our offense had nothing to do with it.
The issue I see is that there is no plan, no scheme, no fundamentals. It's street ball.

Agreed. Maybe this isn’t the man for the job. I could coach better than this
This is what you get when the hiring criteria was:
1. Don’t act like Frank Martin
2. Talk about making the NCAA tournament annually

At least the big donors can go back to Folly knowing they didn’t hear a 4 letter word behind the bench and if they did it was from Bruce Pearl.

Auburn had 50 points in the paint. Our offense had nothing to do with it.
The issue I see is that there is no plan, no scheme, no fundamentals. It's street ball.
Doesn’t matter what type of ball it is if you get open shots. The key is getting players that can make open shots. We have started a player almost all year that will not look at the rim. Yesterday, he was 0-0 with 2 Rebounds. When you have a starter that is scared to shoot the ball and can’t defend or rebound that has nothing to do with scheme. Talking about street ball is just taking a cheap shot at a coach. So, Bo Ryan was running street ball at Wisconsin? This is the exact same offense. Do some research before just taking a shot at a guy.

This is what you get when the hiring criteria was:
1. Don’t act like Frank Martin
2. Talk about making the NCAA tournament annually

At least the big donors can go back to Folly knowing they didn’t hear a 4 letter word behind the bench and if they did it was from Bruce Pearl.
Didn’t we get beat by +20 by Auburn the last 2-3 times that Martin was the coach. Auburn’s guards routinely broke us down with Martin’s defense. So, some of this reminiscing about Frank Martin is revisionist history. We may have not picked the right guy. Personally, I think the jury is still out on that. Doesn’t change that it was time to let Martin go. You think we could have made a run at March Madness by retaining Martin. My view is that was the primary reason to pull the plug. Martin had teased us for 5 years after the Final Four Run. Next year was always the year only to win 14-18 games. It would have been just like Martin to eke in the playoffs for our administration to foolishly give him another 4-5 years to tease us. No, no. That Merry-Go-Round needed to end.

Edit: We lost by 15,11,23, and 13 the last 4 times we played Auburn. My bad. Ironically, yesterday’s final score of 81-66 is the exact same score of the game in Columbia last year. In the 23 point blowout under Martin, we gave up a whopping 105 points. So, the reminiscing about Martin’s defensive fundamentals is a little overrated.

Last edited:
Doesn’t matter what type of ball it is if you get open shots. The key is getting players that can make open shots. We have started a player almost all year that will not look at the rim. Yesterday, he was 0-0 with 2 Rebounds. When you have a starter that is scared to shoot the ball and can’t defend or rebound that has nothing to do with scheme. Talking about street ball is just taking a cheap shot at a coach. So, Bo Ryan was running street ball at Wisconsin? This is the exact same offense. Do some research before just taking a shot at a guy.
Not a cheap shot, an observation but overreact if you must.

When a guy throws up a 20 footer and, before it hits the rim, our entire team is hightailing it the other direction then that's poor fundamentals. If the shots fall, you win. If they don't, you get not just beat but stomped.

Didn’t we get beat by +20 by Auburn the last 2-3 times that Martin was the coach. Auburn’s guards routinely broke us down with Martin’s defense. So, some of this reminiscing about Frank Martin is revisionist history. We may have not picked the right guy. Personally, I think the jury is still out on that. Doesn’t change that it was time to let Martin go. You think we could have made a run at March Madness by retaining Martin. My view is that was the primary reason to pull the plug. Martin had teased us for 5 years after the Final Four Run. Next year was always the year only to win 14-18 games. It would have been just like Martin to eke in the playoffs for our administration to foolishly give him another 4-5 years to tease us. No, no. That Merry-Go-Round needed to end.

Edit: We lost by 15,11,23, and 13 the last 4 times we played Auburn. My bad. Ironically, yesterday’s final score of 81-66 is the exact same score of the game in Columbia last year. In the 23 point blowout under Martin, we gave up a whopping 105 points. So, the reminiscing about Martin’s defensive fundamentals is a little overrated.
I’m not ready to fire Lamont Paris. He deserves time to prove himself and honestly we just hit the nuke button on our program. I wouldn’t be surprised if the turnover is similar this off season to last. John Wooden couldn’t get to .500 with this group.

You know looking at final scores can sometimes be misleading in basketball. Sometimes a close game becomes a double digit loss late because of fouling. Sometimes a team chips away in garbage time and the final score seems closer than reality. You also have to admit the Auburn of the last couple of seasons was a little stronger than this years version. They’re still good, but not as good.

I do believe that this year should have been the dance or pull the plug year for Frank. If we maintained what we had (Carter, Stevenson, Leveque, Bryant) and added GG, I would have expected 20 wins and a tourney bid. My personal opinion is we blew up the roster at a point where we had the highest collection of talent and experience that we have had in a few years.

While I would love to make the tournament regularly, you probably would admit that a team like South Carolina gets less recognition nationally and it’s tough to crack the tournament even when we are good. As much as I hate Clemsux, they are a perfect example. Leading the ACC in mid January and several teams will be seeded higher than them if the tournament started today. A couple of close games go the other way and they’re not even projected to be in the tournament. I’d say teams like Georgia, Clemson and South Carolina are ones that even when they are good struggle to get the respect nationally.

Ben1979 is right. John Wooden could not win with the guys we have. Until we get players that get more rebounds than fouls and shoot better than 20% we will get curb stomped. The SEC is one of the strongest conferences in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT