ADVERTISEMENT

McIlwain visiting penn state

basses

Aug 23, 2003
so we have a mess on our hands with this coaching situation and not sure if Tanner is the right man for the job. This will make or break him as an AD and this football program for several years to come.

so we have a mess on our hands with this coaching situation and not sure if Tanner is the right man for the job. This will make or break him as an AD and this football program for several years to come.

http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2...-has-changed-with-him-after-penn-state-visit/

USC commitment QB Brandon McIlwain of Newtown, PA said Sunday afternoon he remains solidly committed to USC after an unofficial visit to Penn State Saturday. McIlwain said the visit was a true recruiting look-see for him.

“I’ve had a good relationship with their staff,” McIlwain said. “But they understand the situation with me.”

McIlwain said things will be clarified for him once USC names its new coach in December and he has the chance to meet him. He likely won’t take his official visit until then.

McIlwain said he has gotten the approval of his school for early enrollment at USC and he’s still leaning towards doing that, but again he needs to meet the new coach first.

McIlwain also is still considering staying in high school for the spring so he can play his senior season of baseball. That would keep him eligible for the baseball draft this summer and he’s projected by some scouts to be a possible first round pick.

Mcilwaine finished his senior season with 1727 passing yards with 17 touchdowns and 13 interceptions and 1528 rushing yards and 30 touchdowns.

He know's he will the the #1 QB at USC...

Just my take on this, if he goes to college he is coming here.

But be realistic. If he decides to stay for his spring semester in high school, and does happen to be a first round baseball pick...

I don't know the exact amounts of money they offer prospects in that sport, but I think it is very likely he goes pro.

Heck we have a walk on now in Hurst who went that route and it didn't work out. McIwain could do the same thing if baseball doesn't work for him.

And be honest if he was your kid, and someone offered him a couple mill in a signing bonus, along with a hefty contract, and you know that you can easily pay for college yourself one day, or even play college football somewhere while still relatively young...

What would you advise your kid to do?

This is pretty old news basses, and he has already reaffirmed his commitment to USC. It doesn't matter what happens. BMac is coming here.

Yeah, he needs to clean up those interceptions. He just needs to be patient, b/c Nunez, Orth and Mitch have a much bigger upside. They're so good, McIlwain might have to consider transferring. Brandon knew what he was getting into. South Carolina is QB University. QB recruits fall over each other trying to impress the Gamecock coaching staff. The competition is stiff.

Yeah, he needs to clean up those interceptions. He just needs to be patient, b/c Nunez, Orth and Mitch have a much bigger upside. They're so good, McIlwain might have to consider transferring. Brandon knew what he was getting into. South Carolina is QB University. QB recruits fall over each other trying to impress the Gamecock coaching staff. The competition is stiff.

We may not have Nunez... WVOC reported the Shawn Elliott was very upset with Nunez taking himself out before the game. Elliott said he didn't know if he was hurt or just didn't want to play...

Sounds like Elliott maybe making harder for the next coach to win without players...

I feel sorry for our next head coach with "fans" such as the one that started this thread.

See what happening? Him coming here?

Do you think he will go MLB?

I don't see him coming here. He's obviously a talented athlete with skills that project to the next level. He's going to need stability, good coaching, and the other tangibles that will allow him to ascend to that next level and I don't see that here. Our baseball and football programs are shells of what they use to be. Tell me anything about our football or baseball programs that says come here and we will help prepare you for the next level.

Please save the school and education speech for the the athletes who don't have a chance of making it on a pro level but is good enough to compete on a collegiate level.

http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2...-has-changed-with-him-after-penn-state-visit/

USC commitment QB Brandon McIlwain of Newtown, PA said Sunday afternoon he remains solidly committed to USC after an unofficial visit to Penn State Saturday. McIlwain said the visit was a true recruiting look-see for him.

“I’ve had a good relationship with their staff,” McIlwain said. “But they understand the situation with me.”

McIlwain said things will be clarified for him once USC names its new coach in December and he has the chance to meet him. He likely won’t take his official visit until then.

McIlwain said he has gotten the approval of his school for early enrollment at USC and he’s still leaning towards doing that, but again he needs to meet the new coach first.

McIlwain also is still considering staying in high school for the spring so he can play his senior season of baseball. That would keep him eligible for the baseball draft this summer and he’s projected by some scouts to be a possible first round pick.

Mcilwaine finished his senior season with 1727 passing yards with 17 touchdowns and 13 interceptions and 1528 rushing yards and 30 touchdowns.

He know's he will the the #1 QB at USC...

I feel sorry for our next head coach with "fans" such as the one that started this thread.

The guy who started this thread can not be a South Carolina fan. If you think he is then show me one single thread out of his nearly 3000 threads where he said anything good about South Carolina.

This kid should be admired for knowing what the word "commitment" means when so often it is regarded so flippantly. He may eventually pull out due to circumstances outside his control but so far he is sticking with his pledge. Refreshing!

Say what you want, but I am a Carolina fan. I just don't drink the kool ade or the look through the garnet colored glasses. I wish we would beat the taters 70-0 but they may just do that to us. Are we suppose to give praises to spurrier forever. This team is a mess. Just hope tanner can come up with a good hire.

I don't see him coming here. He's obviously a talented athlete with skills that project to the next level. He's going to need stability, good coaching, and the other tangibles that will allow him to ascend to that next level and I don't see that here. Our baseball and football programs are shells of what they use to be. Tell me anything about our football or baseball programs that says come here and we will help prepare you for the next level.

Please save the school and education speech for the the athletes who don't have a chance of making it on a pro level but is good enough to compete on a collegiate level.
He just came back from PSU and said that he is 100% to USC. He said he wants to play football and baseball here, and that even with the uncertain situation, he is still coming here. Sometimes, a recruit actually commits to the school.

Also, even in a down year, USC puts players in the pros. Dylan Thompson, Mike Davis, and AJ Cann from last year's football team are all up there. This year, Cooper and Moore will get to the pros, if they want to. It's more about the player actually having talent before they come here, than it is about development.

And for baseball, USC just signed the #2 recruiting class and is backing it up with the #1 class. We also have some of the best baseball facilities in the Nation. USC is a baseball power house. One down year doesn't change that.

Reactions: ChairForceCock
He just came back from PSU and said that he is 100% to USC. He said he wants to play football and baseball here, and that even with the uncertain situation, he is still coming here. Sometimes, a recruit actually commits to the school.

Also, even in a down year, USC puts players in the pros. Dylan Thompson, Mike Davis, and AJ Cann from last year's football team are all up there. This year, Cooper and Moore will get to the pros, if they want to. It's more about the player actually having talent before they come here, than it is about development.

And for baseball, USC just signed the #2 recruiting class and is backing it up with the #1 class. We also have some of the best baseball facilities in the Nation. USC is a baseball power house. One down year doesn't change that.

I have no reason to doubt him but I've heard that from recruits before abut being 100% committed.

Mike Davis and AJ Cann( big time talent coming out of high school) loss a lot of money due to a lack of development because of the rounds they were drafted. AJ Cann went from a potential 1st round guard to a 3rd round guard I think due to a lack of development and look at what happened to the development of Brandon Shell (another big time talent) since he arrived. His development got botched big time.

As for that #2 recruiting class in baseball and player development, that's going to be interesting. I think calling USC a baseball powerhouse is a stretch, you can't live off the success of years ago. Didn't the baseball team lose to College of Charleston last year?

Tell me what makes USC baseball in it's current form a powerhouse? I've never heard of a powerhouse program saying wait until we get out freshman on the field.
So when Kentucky missed the tournament under Gillespie, they were no longer Kentucky? When LSU went south under Laval, they were no longer a powerhouse baseball school?

[QU it'OTE="uscbe moreckham, post: 1193726, member: 352"]So when Kentucky missed the tournament under Gillespie, they were no longer Kentucky? When LSU went south under Laval, they were no longer a powerhouse baseball school?[/QUOTE]

You still didn't tell me what makes South Carolina a powerhouse in baseball today? May have been a powerhouse for an extended period of time a few years ago but what today, right now says powerhouse program? How can we be a powerhouse when last year we weren't better than C of C and possibly the 3rd or 4th best team in state?

You still didn't tell me what makes South Carolina a powerhouse in baseball today? May have been a powerhouse for an extended period of time a few years ago but what today, right now says powerhouse program? How can we be a powerhouse when last year we weren't better than C of C and possibly the 3rd or 4th best team in state?
Come on, man. Powerhouse programs aren't made or broken in a matter of 1 or 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT