ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s BB team observations

Woods offered some defensive upside for UNC, because he was typically a better athlete than the back-up guards he was playing against in his 7 to 10 minutes a game. Sort of what Hannibal did for South Carolina last year. Trade some offense for defense and borrow some minutes for your better players, when the second line is in for the other team. But even that wore old for UNC in the end, because Woods is such a net negative on offense.

Why Martin decided to bring Woods in and why he’s playing him 17 minutes a game is a complete mystery. He’s not even the defensive player he was early on at UNC, and he’s arguably the worst offensive player getting more than 10 minutes a game in all of college basketball. And he’s doin it on a team that NEEDS shooters. NEEDS legit ball handlers. NEEDS people to space the floor.
When we get into foul trouble he's all we've got as a back up. Apparently all Mike Green can do is shoot. I thought Moss improved some at the end of last year and would contribute but he's arguably gone backwards. Trae Hannibal can go either way. He can make a spectacular play or he can turn into reckless teenager on the court. I wish he could find his Bagger Vance.

There always seems to be a weak link in Frank Martin teams.

The strength of a trapping type of press is the corner or the sideline where you can trap the ballhandler. Its weakness is in the middle. That's why you use your big to break it. Nowhere did I say anything about a big "handling the ball" or inbounding the ball.
I agree that traps happen in the corner or sideline. That's why I'd have each of my bigs at the sides of mid-court, not the middle. You think each won't be guarded? That leaves a 3 on 3 situation in the backcourt, which gives room for the ball handlers to maneuver near the free throw area, with the downcourt outlets bigs as previously mentioned. It's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to double team a ball handler with one defender left to cover a ball-handling guard on each side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT