ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s soccer drop a heartbreaker to Furman 2-1

Why does Mark Berson still have a job? He should have been fired 10 years ago!!!

Up until a few years ago, I would have completely disagreed with you. The guy who started the program and kept it a national contender for so long deserved to be able to go out on his own terms. But he's failed to figure out that his terms should have been to retire/resign at some point the last several years. His style is DOA in college soccer these days and he can no longer recruit anywhere close to how he used to. He needs to recognize that this is it, or Tanner needs to make a change.

Reactions: Out of Conference
I agree- it’s time to have the dialogue of Berson retiring as a fantastic coach and pioneer for the program and help find & usher in new coaching.

Last edited:
Mark is a great guy but it kills me when we lose to Furman FAU and celebrate a Home victory against Lioscomb. Soccer is a big sport now, this is not swimming and diving. Before I went to USC we have been in the finals. I don’t think he is going to step down on his own.

With all due respect Furman is a dang good program. I'm sure you all know this but soccer doesn't exactly work like football. Some of these smaller schools have equal if not better programs than the bigger ones. NGU Baseball is a prime example. Probably one of the best in the state at the moment.

With all due respect Furman is a dang good program. I'm sure you all know this but soccer doesn't exactly work like football. Some of these smaller schools have equal if not better programs than the bigger ones. NGU Baseball is a prime example. Probably one of the best in the state at the moment.
You're 100% correct and I was going to put something in my post to say that it wasn't about that one loss or even losing to smaller schools, but that would have made the post too long. It's more about consistent mediocrity mixed with a few bad seasons. Last year was terrible. This year is starting off worse. We once were a top-10 program year in and year out. Last 6 years we're 50-52-12 (Yes, I had to look this one up).

Furman has a darn good team this year.

Someone want to give some cliff notes on this situation? I've picked up that Benson was sort of the pioneer of the program but has pulled a 2014/2015 HBC? Admittedly don't know a ton about our soccer program

If Tanner likes him, and feels the least bit obligated to him, he won't fire him. It isn't a revenue producer. Replacing the soccer coach is way down the list of important things to take care of. I'd say behind what kind of cups are in the concession stands for football games.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
During my time in Columbia, Gamecock went to 13+ ncaa tournament. We had soccer when we had nothing else.

But it’s painful to see the program the last couple of years. Does the lack of conference hurt us when we are so close to ACC teams. Has recruiting changed. We used to have a lot of guys from Iceland ( yes it’s been some years ). I miss the days of playing for the National Championship ( we were runner up twice if I am not mistaken )

Mark needs to step down after they name the field or stadium after him.

If Tanner likes him, and feels the least bit obligated to him, he won't fire him. It isn't a revenue producer. Replacing the soccer coach is way down the list of important things to take care of. I'd say behind what kind of cups are in the concession stands for football games.
You're probably right. But Tanner does care about the Palmetto Cup (or whatever it's called). Maybe that aspect would appeal to him. Or maybe he only cares about it enough to flaunt it after we keep getting prison raped by Clemson in football.

Up until a few years ago, I would have completely disagreed with you. The guy who started the program and kept it a national contender for so long deserved to be able to go out on his own terms. But he's failed to figure out that his terms should have been to retire/resign at some point the last several years. His style is DOA in college soccer these days and he can no longer recruit anywhere close to how he used to. He needs to recognize that this is it, or Tanner needs to make a change.
His retention is ironclad proof that USC really doesn't care about men's soccer and that the program should be disbanded until such time as it becomes an SEC sport..

Furman's soccer stadium was built due to funds given from the same endowment, The Stone Fund. Both stadiums are named in Mr. Stone's honor. I may be mistaken, but I think both schools stadiums are identical. That said, it is time for Mark Berson to retire.

How is that?
We are not currently committed to is, so why spend money on it? If we were committed to it, he wouldn't be here. The stadium will be there when the SEC takes it up, which it will one day. Maybe then, we'll start over with energetic leadership and a better defined commitment.

Berson is collecting a check. If I weren’t “competing”, I would quit. Tanner needs to give a damn about Men’s Soccer. Might as well disband, if you don’t care about competing.

Reactions: king ward
I'll support men's soccer when it becomes an SEC sport and our team is led by a dynamic coach..
It’s good to know I graduated from a college that doesn’t have to play wait and see with what the conference does before following suit. I’m glad my alma mater has a men’s soccer program even though most other schools in the SEC do not.

It’s good to know I graduated from a college that doesn’t have to play wait and see with what the conference does before following suit. I’m glad my alma mater has a men’s soccer program even though most other schools in the SEC do not.
Right now, we have men's soccer because we've always (virtually) had it. If it were any more than an afterthought, Berson wouldn't be the coach. You need to digest that fact.

Right now, we have men's soccer because we've always (virtually) had it. If it were any more than an afterthought, Berson wouldn't be the coach. You need to digest that fact.
What would you replace it with?

ADVERTISEMENT